Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,697,179 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family of four relocated to ATL last summer. We're currently renting a house in East Cobb, but we'd like to purchase a home sometime this year. We like Roswell between Marietta and the 400, so that will be one area where we may house-hunt. We've also heard a lot about Peachtree City having great schools and being wonderful for families, but we haven't spent much time there. Before I invest too much time and energy into researching Peachtree City as an option for our family, can someone tell me whether Peachtree City or Roswell would have the best commute during NON-TRADITIONAL hours (leave for work very early morning, come home very early afternoon) to downtown around CNN Center? Or is the difference in commute between the two negligible? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,346,086 times
Peachtree City is not that bad of a ride even during "traditional" hours compared to North Fulton. Kind of a toss up. I guess I lean toward Peachtree City because I prefer the southside in general. I would encourage you to research it as an option along with the rest of Fayette County and North Coweta.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,762,829 times
Roswell gives you the option of parking at north springs station and riding MARTA downtown.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:57 PM

16,648 posts, read 29,370,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Hi. My family of four relocated to ATL last summer. We're currently renting a house in East Cobb, but we'd like to purchase a home sometime this year. We like Roswell between Marietta and the 400, so that will be one area where we may house-hunt. We've also heard a lot about Peachtree City having great schools and being wonderful for families, but we haven't spent much time there. Before I invest too much time and energy into researching Peachtree City as an option for our family, can someone tell me whether Peachtree City or Roswell would have the best commute during NON-TRADITIONAL hours (leave for work very early morning, come home very early afternoon) to downtown around CNN Center? Or is the difference in commute between the two negligible? Thanks!

The southern suburbs are known for having the best commutes to downtown (when comparing suburbs).

But, if it's non-traditional hours, I guess it really doesn't matter where you live in the suburbs. In this case, just pick the home and neighborhood you like best (the schools are excellent in both locations).

Old 03-20-2015, 03:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,305,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The southern suburbs are known for having the best commutes to downtown (when comparing suburbs).

But, if it's non-traditional hours, I guess it really doesn't matter where you live in the suburbs. In this case, just pick the home and neighborhood you like best (the schools are excellent in both locations).

I'm not so sure about that first bit. I work near the airport, and many of my colleagues live in Peachtree City. Their commutes are typically 30-35 minutes, which is perfectly fine, of course. However, traffic backs up terribly on I-85 NB around Cleveland Avenue, just north of the airport, every single morning; I see it as I'm cruising along I-85 SB. I've never had to drive it, but imagine that that last section between the I-75 merge and downtown would take a good 15-20 minutes on average, maybe even more.

That said, you're right that if the working hours are well outside rush hour, it shouldn't really matter, and that the OP should choose the house and area they prefer!

Old 03-20-2015, 04:33 PM

16,648 posts, read 29,370,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I'm not so sure about that first bit. I work near the airport, and many of my colleagues live in Peachtree City. Their commutes are typically 30-35 minutes, which is perfectly fine, of course. However, traffic backs up terribly on I-85 NB around Cleveland Avenue, just north of the airport, every single morning; I see it as I'm cruising along I-85 SB. I've never had to drive it, but imagine that that last section between the I-75 merge and downtown would take a good 15-20 minutes on average, maybe even more.

That said, you're right that if the working hours are well outside rush hour, it shouldn't really matter, and that the OP should choose the house and area they prefer!
No.

During rush hour, it is well-known that it is easier to access Downtown from the southern suburbs than it is from the northern suburbs for the most part--especially the southwest side.

Now, remember...I didn't say easy, I said easier.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:19 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,899,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Now, remember...I didn't say easy, I said easier.
Exactly. If I drove downtown from my house in Gwinnett and left at 730 I'd first run into traffic on US 29, then Beaver Ruin, then finally after 20 minutes I'd make it to 85. Then there would be stop and go, maybe get up to 30 mph by Jimmy Carter then get stuck in more traffic to 285. Then I'd be fine til somewhere between Druid Hills and Clairmont. Then I'd get stuck in more stop and go through the 400 merge on down to the downtown connector. From there I'm not sure, it'd depend on where exactly.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 PM

145 posts, read 165,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Roswell gives you the option of parking at north springs station and riding MARTA downtown.
College Park Station would be the equivalent coming up from PTC. I did that exact commute to Buckhead for a couple of years.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:59 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,346,086 times
I agree about the College Park or East Point MARTA stations; by the time you reached "merger madness" at the downtown connector, you could be on a train. Then again, playing the Devil's advocate, by then (just like North Springs) you are practically "there". Perhaps, if you don't want to to take the train, you can cut down Main Street College Park/ East Point/ Lee Street southwest Atlanta to West Whitehall and cut across to Northside Drive and hit the CNN Center area from there when the Downtown Connector is bad. Then again, you commute non-traditional hours, so you may never need either; still it is good to have multiple options. I know that many may think I have an unshakable southside bias, and I do, but I would shudder at a Ga 400 commute daily. I really think "advantage Peachtree City" for a commute to downtown Atlanta even though mile wise it is similar to Roswell. Not only are the interstates better (notice I did not say "perfect") but there are so many more less congested options (through streets) to get downtown from the southwest suburbs.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,627,741 times
If your schedule will work with it, you can get the GRTA buses on the west side of Newnan and that is a wonderful way to commute. They go express to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta