U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:31 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,705,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutbehindyou1992 View Post
An area is gentrified not when the population starts to change but when the retail starts to change. An area is not gentrified if a bunch of yuppies live there but they have to leave the neighborhood to go to their quirky gastro pubs etc. because it's still just 99c stores and chicken shops. However when business owners decide that the critical mass of yuppies is in the neighborhood that yuppie oriented businesses make a good investment, then it's gentrified.

In Chicago, Logan Square is gentrified, to the west is Humboldt Park which has a ton of hipsters as well but they have to go to Logan Square to shop because in Humboldt Park most of the retail is aimed at poor Puerto Rican immigrants still. A few stores pop up here and there but they are the exception, not the rule. So while Logan Square is gentrified, Humboldt Park is gentrifying. Once it has the critical mass of amenities that you can live a yuppie lifestyle without leaving the area, it's gentrified.
This. I was formulating basically the same response. Its about the retail, in my opinion. in other words, the market decides when a place is gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 PM

28,183 posts, read 24,739,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
This. I was formulating basically the same response. Its about the retail, in my opinion. in other words, the market decides when a place is gentrified.
So is there anything the residents can do to help this along or do they just have to wait? Seems to me the market can be VERY slow in responding.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:43 PM

22,209 posts, read 16,231,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So is there anything the residents can do to help this along or do they just have to wait? Seems to me the market can be VERY slow in responding.
Unless they want to invest and open up the retail themselves, they just wait. We waited several years for the business district in Kirkwood to catch up to the residents and now it's full speed ahead.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:48 PM

50 posts, read 55,341 times
Quote:
Well they can make the area safer and make it appear more affluent. Investors want to have peace of mind that they aren't going to get robbed, have shoplifting/dine&dash problems, have homeboys hanging out in front of their store . Also they want to know that both the residents have enough money to support the business and that the reputation of the area is such that people feel comfortable going there from other areas. A good example of this is in NYC, Harlem is pretty much safe and 75% gentrified, but a lot of the retail is still pawn and Popeyes Fried Chicken because, the perception of Harlem is still a ghetto so business people are apprehensive to open businesses there and people from other areas are still afraid to go there to shop. It's all about perception.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,658,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would say Kirkwood and O4W are at the same point. Edgewood and Reynoldstown are at point #2. Kirkwood is blowing up with families and families moving here are not looking to leave after 3rd grade. The Jackson cluster is looking strong.
Right. I felt like my examples were a little off. Kirkwood is going to change a lot over the next few.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 PM
bu2

9,015 posts, read 5,705,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I see three phases in the gentrification process:

1. Gays, artists, hippies and the like move in. The neighborhoods attract them with low prices and a greater degree of acceptance for folks who are often maligned by the rest of society. Public schools matter less to these groups due to them being less likely to have kids or more likely to home school them in the case of hippies. I think East Point is a good example of a community in this phase.

2. Observers of group one move in. People who aren't a part of group one, but are open to alternative lifestyles and are attracted to perceived "hipness" in areas populated with members of group one. This group continues the trend of raising the value of housing stock and the schools start to improve. Kirkwood is a good example, in my opinion.

3. The "gentry" start moving in. Gentry refers to those "of gentle birth," born into money. This is the tipping point. The neighborhood has lost it's edge. The schools are good and housing stock has gotten so expensive many of the members of group one have moved on. Old Fourth Ward is in the earlier stages of this, with Inman Park being a matured example.
Funny because its so often true.

Maybe the definition of gentrifying is when the people who were there before group 1 start complaining.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:06 PM
bu2

9,015 posts, read 5,705,549 times
Quote:
Figure out a way to deal with boarded up, falling down houses. Last time I was in Kirkwood (3-4 years ago), you had beautifully redone Victorian homes next to health hazards. Seemed to rotate-one nice, one awful.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:35 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,650,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would say Kirkwood and O4W are at the same point. Edgewood and Reynoldstown are at point #2. Kirkwood is blowing up with families and families moving here are not looking to leave after 3rd grade. The Jackson cluster is looking strong.
There are so many outside factors that affect gentrification. O4W would probably not be at its current level without the mass closings of housing projects, and will be Virginia Highlands when the Section8 housing on Boulavard turns. Decatur, and specifically Oakhurst, received a boost from the collapse of Dekalb County Schools. Kirkwood's advancement could jump 10 years if it gets included in a hypothetical Druid Hills Cluster. And it all has been boosted by the choking traffic that has dirtied the appeal of suburban living.

That said, I think that almost the entire east-side has reached a tipping point--no longer, if, but when.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 PM

22,209 posts, read 16,231,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There are so many outside factors that affect gentrification. O4W would probably not be at its current level without the mass closings of housing projects, and will be Virginia Highlands when the Section8 housing on Boulavard turns. Decatur, and specifically Oakhurst, received a boost from the collapse of Dekalb County Schools. Kirkwood's advancement could jump 10 years if it gets included in a hypothetical Druid Hills Cluster. And it all has been boosted by the choking traffic that has dirtied the appeal of suburban living.

That said, I think that almost the entire east-side has reached a tipping point--no longer, if, but when.
That is where O4W and Kirkwood are similar in having large section 8 apartments in proximity.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,612,711 times
When whites make up at least 70% of the population at least here in Atlanta...let's be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or