Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
I did not misread any posts. If you had read the article, you would understand that 'elbow room' is not a 'fair' or sustainable.
I was responding to a post that said people deserve "fair options." People have options. People can live in town. People can live in the suburbs or people can move to grumpyville like you apparently did. They have options. That's fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:15 PM

219 posts, read 270,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I was responding to a post that said people deserve "fair options." People have options. People can live in town. People can live in the suburbs or people can move to grumpyville like you apparently did. They have options. That's fair.
I'm not completely sure if you are being intentionally obtuse, but generalizing on a majority of your posts, I can only assume you are not being willfully ignorant, I do not think you have acquired that level of intellect. The jsvh was referring to the fact that the options are not, in fact, fair. The suburbs do not pay the same percentage of taxes, costs into a society that those that live in town pay. That's inherently unfair. Just take, 30-40 minutes, and read the article. I'm sure you can figure it out!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
I'm not completely sure if you are being intentionally obtuse, but generalizing on a majority of your posts, I can only assume you are not being willfully ignorant, I do not think you have acquired that level of intellect. The jsvh was referring to the fact that the options are not, in fact, fair. The suburbs do not pay the same percentage of taxes, costs into a society that those that live in town pay. That's inherently unfair. Just take, 30-40 minutes, and read the article. I'm sure you can figure it out!
The author is pretty skeptical of the study author's numbers and methodology.

If you read the article you would see that its not about taxes, the additional cost he claims is primarily due to intangibles like pollution and congestion.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
TTT - it is clear you failed to understand the article and your personal attacks warrant no further response.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:33 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
I didn't know Buenos Aires was in Europe.
Mexico City is in South America too.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Ansley - I think you are the one missing the points of the article here. Do I need paste quotes from the article a third time how it is not a fair choice?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:07 PM

219 posts, read 270,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
TTT - it is clear you failed to understand the article and your personal attacks warrant no further response.
Please point out where I "personally attacked" you. I questioned your genuineness regarding your stance on the matter of 'fair' options, which really has absolutely no relevance to the topic at hand. And that's a personal attack? I always thought you were a man, for some reason, but I should have known better I guess?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Ansley - I think you are the one missing the points of the article here. Do I need paste quotes from the article a third time how it is not a fair choice?
jsvh - it is someone's opinion. I do agree in part; however, people don't alays make the same lifestyle choices. That we can, is, in part, what makes our country great. I don't think I should pay more income tax than most, but that is what makes our country run. Happy to do it, in fact. So, no, you need not repost anything. It's okay to have differing opinions.

Last edited by AnsleyPark; 03-26-2015 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,607 times
It should be noted that they are talking about "Atlanta" density when calculating the data, not the suburbs. In other words, this apparent problem is actually based on in town data. Not sure why the suburb hate exists here. ITP Atlanta isn't much different density wise from most of the suburbs. If you are driving around much of ITP Atlanta, you won't see much urban utopia.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
It should be noted that they are talking about "Atlanta" density when calculating the data, not the suburbs. In other words, this apparent problem is actually based on in town data. Not sure why the suburb hate exists here. ITP Atlanta isn't much different density wise from most of the suburbs. If you are driving around much of ITP Atlanta, you won't see much urban utopia.
Exactly. And the fact that all the American cities are at the upper end of the chart including the highly vaunted and prized utopia for dense, walkable, urban citydom... New York... makes this suburban vs. city argument rather silly in my opinion. Using this broad brush article that brings in one set of facts to measure every city in the world while ignoring other factors is really neither here nor there. Land in America is still relatively cheap. Why create false density when market factors do not dictate the need for it? That some want this feel of community is being shown in communities being built that facilitate New Urbanist ideals to a degree. But to dictate that all should live in such a community when the demand is not there and the supply for the other is still in abundance and affordable and showing no signs of NOT being sustainable (despite the Chicken Little cries) smacks of Big Brother just a tad too much for this 'Merican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta