Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,763,439 times

Advertisements

Atlanta metro is a real 24 hour city but Atlanta doesn't get the credit as one that she deserves. This isn't a troll thread. I'm only speaking about facts . There are at least 40 establishments in Metro Atlanta to include Dekalb County, South Atlanta and West Atlanta that open until 4-6am nightly. Heck Pinups is open until 8am on the weekends. Reggae clubs on Memorial Dr open until 4/5am. Dozens of strip clubs such as Blue Flame, Pink Pony, Strokers, Babes, etc are open until 4am on most days. My friend was at this club near the Dekalb/Atlanta line at 3:30am last week on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and it was still a line to get in at 3:30am.

Throw in all the Waffle Houses, IHOP's, etc plus all the 24 hour Krogers and you will see.

I predict several people from other cities and some people here who are out of the loop that do not know what they are talking about will troll but go to any of those places at the time I posted and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:57 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,372,080 times
I think a true 24 hour city though, is when your locals are literally open 24 hours. For example NY - the mom and pops, the bagel bakeries, the corner store, are all open 24 hours - and you can walk to them. Here - you still have to get in your car and drive, if you need an onion at 3 am on Tuesday. Not to say there isn't life in ATL, it's just not quite the 24/7 of NY or Chicago, or Philly.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:02 AM

925 posts, read 1,328,072 times
Don't forget the 24hr walmart, gas stations, hospitals, police stations, mcdonalds and hotels!

I think its a bit absurd, outside of some small towns, most cities are bound to have some store/restaurant open 24 hrs or have coverage 24hr. Its not much either to brag about clubs being open till the morning either, all the ones i've been too usually involved drugs, gang bangers or some sketchness

Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I think a true 24 hour city though, is when your locals are literally open 24 hours. For example NY - the mom and pops, the bagel bakeries, the corner store, are all open 24 hours - and you can walk to them. Here - you still have to get in your car and drive, if you need an onion at 3 am on Tuesday. Not to say there isn't life in ATL, it's just not quite the 24/7 of NY or Chicago, or Philly.
In an attempt to not have this thread hijacked I'm going to stick with talking only about Atlanta. I will say that one of those cities you listed shouldn't even be brought up as being 24 hours because of their early last call. Just because a city is more walkable doesn't mean it's more "24 hours"

I can buy a lawnmower, onions and get a lap dance at 5am here

Old 03-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Don't forget the 24hr walmart, gas stations, hospitals, police stations, mcdonalds and hotels!

I think its a bit absurd, outside of some small towns, most cities are bound to have some store/restaurant open 24 hrs or have coverage 24hr. Its not much either to brag about clubs being open till the morning either, all the ones i've been too usually involved drugs, gang bangers or some sketchness
True but plenty of people are out late because they work crazy shifts

Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,372,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
In an attempt to not have this thread hijacked I'm going to stick with talking only about Atlanta. I will say that one of those cities you listed shouldn't even be brought up as being 24 hours because of their early last call. Just because a city is more walkable doesn't mean it's more "24 hours"

I can buy a lawnmower, onions and get a lap dance at 5am here

There is more to life than last call. lol

Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
There is more to life than last call. lol
I'm OK with a lap dance and some waffles

Old 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,233,181 times
Quote:
Not really true....lets talk in context. I live in Manhattan and most "neighborhood" shops close before 3 a.m. So lets be honest here. There are some places that are open 24 hours but not nearly as many as you make it seem....just being honest.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,632,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Not really true....lets talk in context. I live in Manhattan and most "neighborhood" shops close before 3 a.m. So lets be honest here. There are some places that are open 24 hours but not nearly as many as you make it seem....just being honest.
I agree with you about things that are not really open 24hrs...but I think one of the characteristics of a true 24 hour city is the amount of people moving around city after 2am. Not socially, but normal street activity in the wee hours of the morning. That type of energy makes a true 24 hour city.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,233,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I agree with you about things that are not really open 24hrs...but I think one of the characteristics of a true 24 hour city is the amount of people moving around city after 2am. Not socially, but normal street activity in the wee hours of the morning. That type of energy makes a true 24 hour city.
Hey Glov, how u been ? I can totally agree with your assumption as to life and movement of people as a determining factor of the perception of a 24 city. I always try to bring the correct context to a conversation and that's what I was telling Tryska. Its crazy because this argument has been had before, as afdinatl has eluded to. Someone once stated that my home city New Orleans is not a 24 hour city. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta