U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 PM

24 posts, read 141,601 times
Default Best and worst counties around Atlanta

I am looking to move to ATL from Mt. Vernon, NY (was living in Bronx, NY/NYC).

I need some info on the best and worst counties around atlanta, I am looking for something on the Outer Perimeter from my online research I think I really like COBB COUNTY close to Marietta (Off 75).
Other counties on my short list are: Clayton, Fulton & Douglas.

I am a young professional in my late 20's looking for about a 20-30 minute commute to the city; within 30 minutes from the Airport (If possible) and within 5 minutes or walking distance of shops (Like a Walmart, grocery store, etc).

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Visiting again in February to do some more research.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 AM

273 posts, read 1,182,964 times
There are good and bad parts in every county. Atlanta is really spread out and there isn't a central location for undesirable areas.

Cobb County will not be a 20-30 min. commute to the city, or to the airport. Perhaps you would like living intown better? Tell us more about what you are looking for specifically. House or apartment? Price range? Where will your job be?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM

2,133 posts, read 3,963,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxtoATL View Post
I am looking to move to ATL from Mt. Vernon, NY (was living in Bronx, NY/NYC).

I need some info on the best and worst counties around atlanta, I am looking for something on the Outer Perimeter from my online research I think I really like COBB COUNTY close to Marietta (Off 75).
Other counties on my short list are: Clayton, Fulton & Douglas.

I am a young professional in my late 20's looking for about a 20-30 minute commute to the city; within 30 minutes from the Airport (If possible) and within 5 minutes or walking distance of shops (Like a Walmart, grocery store, etc).

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated. Visiting again in February to do some more research.
Thanks.
If you are a young professional in you late 20s looking for a convenient commute to work and numerous amenities--including being within walking distance--you should live in the city. You won't find that in the suburbs--especially the "walking distance" part. There are few places where you can walk in the burbs, with the exception of Downtown Marietta.

Also being in your late 20s, you will be bored stiff living out in the burbs and it would be a royal pain in the ass to get anywhere, including bars, restaurants, and other places where younger folks congregate. Some neighborhoods you should consider include Midtown, Inman Park, Virginia Highland, and Downtown Decatur.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,926,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Cobb County will not be a 20-30 min. commute to the city, or to the airport. Perhaps you would like living intown better? Tell us more about what you are looking for specifically. House or apartment? Price range? Where will your job be?
Huh? If you live in Smyrna, Mableton, or Vinings it most certainly is. Cobb County is quite large and diverse in that respect.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Huh? If you live in Smyrna, Mableton, or Vinings it most certainly is. Cobb County is quite large and diverse in that respect.
Plus, the Smyrna/Vinings area is great place for young singles to live. Many young singles live there.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Plus, the Smyrna/Vinings area is great place for young singles to live. Many young singles live there.
Actually, this is very true. There are a lot of young singles in Smyrna and Vinings. Even better, their is a high ratio of young females to young males out there.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 PM

24 posts, read 141,601 times
How is crime in Smyrna/Vinings area and how are the house prices?

One of the main reasons I am looking to move is to become a first time home owner.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

One of the main reasons I am looking to move is to become a first time home owner.
It's pretty expensive to buy in Vinings with townhomes priced above $400K in a lot of instances. Smyrna is getting more and more expensive and it's hard to find homes there under $250K. The western edge of Smyrna is more affordable though. Mableton, to the south, is growing rapidly and offers great communities at decent prices. It's also within decent proximity to both Downtown and the Airport. I believe a C-D member here named rcsteiner lives in the area. You may want to send him a private message and ask him about the area.

If you don't choose to buy there, you can still get a condo at a pretty good deal in a lot of neighborhoods in the city. There are decent neighborhoods where you can still find a good bargain on a home, like East Atlanta.

Of course, the rule of thumb is that the further you go out, the cheaper it is to buy. As the old addage says, "Drive until you can buy." However, the days of 90 cents/gallon gas and easy commutes are over and you can find yourself in a world of hurt if you're tied down to a house and have to commute to the other side of the Metro Atlanta. My advice to you would be to rent an apartment in a central location for a year when you first move here, in the city and not OTP, and discover the metro area for yourself so that you can make the best informed decision when choosing an area to buy.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:34 PM

2,642 posts, read 5,261,157 times
Yeah, the best thing you can do is rent for a minumum of 6 months.

I ended up in my neighborhood by pure luck. When I lived in the burbs and commuted into the city the last thing I wanted to do on a Saturday or Sunday was drive BACK to the city and explore. So, I ended up picking the neighborhood because it seemed to have a good public school and when I did go check out a rental I noticed all the young families and decided it would be good. I got lucky. By the way, when I say I in many of these posts describing my experiences I mean we, including my husband...just to clarify that I'm not some fish-wife!

So, yeah, rent, explore, then decide. The market is going to remain a buyers market for a few years.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM

8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Default Smyrna/Mableton/Vinings

Quote:

Vinings and eastern/northern Smyrna are high priced.

However, you should find great deals in western/southern Smyrna and Mableton. I highly recommend this area.

By the way, so that you'll know..."Smyrna/Mableton/Vinings" is one big area.

Crime is relatively low. Great choice if you decide to buy in the area.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta