Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Not worth it if there's a wait. But it's pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:50 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
I like Mary Mac's and enjoy the ambiance (writing your own order down with the little pencils always entertains my children). I also love the rolls at MAry Mac's. However, there are several around that I like the same or better!

Intown- The Colonnade on Chester Bridge Road- Better than Mary Mac's in my opinion (Best turkey and dressing in the city, they actually have my favorite greens, mustards, on the menu)

Southside suburbs- Barbeque Kitchen Virginia Avenue, College Park (I know how this place sounds, but they really have great vegetables!)

Anne and Bill's downtown Forest Park (Really great vegetables and a rotating menu of succulent entree's)

Southern Cooking (New Place off of 155 in McDonough: good vegetables, meats and rolls/ corn muffins.)

Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
it is definitely part of atlanta's history and worth taking a trip; however, it seems to be more and more of an experience for tourists rather than what made it famous, which was being a spot for locals.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
I only go there when taking non-foodie visitors.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I like Mary Mac's and enjoy the ambiance (writing your own order down with the little pencils always entertains my children). I also love the rolls at MAry Mac's. However, there are several around that I like the same or better!

Intown- The Colonnade on Chester Bridge Road- Better than Mary Mac's in my opinion (Best turkey and dressing in the city, they actually have my favorite greens, mustards, on the menu)

Southside suburbs- Barbeque Kitchen Virginia Avenue, College Park (I know how this place sounds, but they really have great vegetables!)

Definitely agree with both of these recommendations.

BBQ Kitchen also has the best fried chicken I have had in Atlanta, and maybe the best biscuits too.

I would also add Busy Bee as my favorite ATL Institution. Mary Mac's just doesn't do it for me. I'm still reeling from the horrifying meatloaf I had there almost 10 years ago.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:40 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
Tourist trap: Glady's and Ron's House of Chicken and Waffles
Mary Mac's is nothing to write home about.

I would suggest Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint. Make sure to try Miss Celie's punch. Make sure you order the Mac and Cheese

Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Foodies? Wouldn't they be the very people that need to sample Atlanta's signature cuisine? Good southern cooking at a meat and three sounds like heaven to me, but then again I have it almost daily at home and simply call it: supper.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Y'all should try Soul Delicious Grill & Buffet in Morrow. I haven't had a bad meal there yet. Owned by people from Boston, it's gooooddd and have better tasting food than many local spots.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Philly or NY family came down and opened up a spot that did well but who knew that people from Boston could put out some good soul/southern food that's actually delicious!

Old 03-30-2015, 04:08 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,659 times
Quote:
Foodies? Wouldn't they be the very people that need to sample Atlanta's signature cuisine? Good southern cooking at a meat and three sounds like heaven to me, but then again I have it almost daily at home and simply call it: supper.
I second this. Mary Mac's I good but I think a lot of locals will tell you Grandma/Momma/whoever does it better. I'm cooking greens and beans with cornbread tonight.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post

BBQ Kitchen also has the best fried chicken I have had in Atlanta, and maybe the best biscuits too.
BBQ Kitchen biscuits..... [que Homer Simpson sound]

Also have my favorite mac and cheese. Oddly enough, their BBQ is kinda disappointment. Gotta throw my friend chicken love behind Lunch on Main. So far my fave of all time.

You want southern, come down to the Tri-Cities! You actually get the southern hospitality along with the great food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta