Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM

23,389 posts, read 43,903,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
How old are you? People call this out for what it is, but you just want to turn the other way for irrational reasons.
FWIW, I'm 59, you sad little man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:32 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,905,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
Did you ever watch the Vancouver X-Files episodes? They were very drizzly.
Even Phoenix gets drizzle at times. And rain isn't hard to manufacture on set. Besides, Vancouver is like Seattle, a pronounced difference between the wet and dry seasons. Only gets an 1 or 2 inches of rain per month in summer. Of course, I'm sure totals are higher in the mountains but there's still that dry season if they need dry shots. Or shoot in the wet winters for rainy shots.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:49 PM

346 posts, read 387,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No, I clarified the difference between CA's interests and states that are not CA.

I noted that several states offer what GA does.... with the exception of subsidies which GA now offers more.
My primary point is that there are many states that could offer the same subsidies and the movies still couldn't be made there. Someone brought up the idea of infrastructure which is no small point. One of the main attractions for Atlanta is having an airport with an incredible number of flights. Also, many states could have subsidies and there would be no way to film scenes that could sub for New York or San Francisco onscreen. And a new Atlantic article discusses directors who are attracted to Atlanta's particular architecture for futuristic scenes in sci-fi movies. How many states would have that?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,869,916 times
All I know is that the Film & TV industry contributed $5.1 billion to the states economy last year.

It's a no-brainer, despite the naysayers.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,122,992 times
Quote:
FWIW, I'm 59, you sad little man.
there you go again attacking someone for pointing out legitimate issues that impact all Georgians.

Now go ahead with another juvenile attack....

Last edited by JoeP; 03-31-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Even Phoenix gets drizzle at times. And rain isn't hard to manufacture on set. Besides, Vancouver is like Seattle, a pronounced difference between the wet and dry seasons. Only gets an 1 or 2 inches of rain per month in summer. Of course, I'm sure totals are higher in the mountains but there's still that dry season if they need dry shots. Or shoot in the wet winters for rainy shots.
I think people who watched that series noticed the lush green plant life that was in episode after episode in that series. It's more than just manufacturing drizzle. It's the intense green that just doesn't occur in the southwest or in a lot of other places. It's easy to see the difference in the Vancouver and LA episodes.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,905,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
I think people who watched that series noticed the lush green plant life that was in episode after episode in that series. It's more than just manufacturing drizzle. It's the intense green that just doesn't occur in the southwest or in a lot of other places. It's easy to see the difference in the Vancouver and LA episodes.
Ok but that's not unique to Vancouver or GA. Even east Texas is lush. Orange, TX gets more rain than Atlanta. Even California has dense forest in the north near the coast.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Ok but that's not unique to Vancouver or GA. Even east Texas is lush. Orange, TX gets more rain than Atlanta. Even California has dense forest in the north near the coast.
I've visited east Texas and lived in Northern California. I don't want to belabor the point, but I think people who watched those episodes know what I'm talking about with the Vancouver episodes.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,220,093 times
As a former huge fan of the X Files, I know exactly what you are talking about chuck. It was frequently wet and almost seemed rainforesty. Never forget that cocoon episode where they were cutting down those huge old growth trees...

I think Georgia can hold up pretty well as far as biodiversity goes. Beach, boring flatlands, rolling hills, rocky Piedmont, and mountains all within 4 hours. We have a diverse place to shoot at. If you can't find it here, you probably need snow.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As a former huge fan of the X Files, I know exactly what you are talking about chuck. It was frequently wet and almost seemed rainforesty. Never forget that cocoon episode where they were cutting down those huge old growth trees...

I think Georgia can hold up pretty well as far as biodiversity goes. Beach, boring flatlands, rolling hills, rocky Piedmont, and mountains all within 4 hours. We have a diverse place to shoot at. If you can't find it here, you probably need snow.
I thought about that episode when I was discussing Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta