Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,869 times

Advertisements

Did they ever use the name Target Greatland? Also are there SuperTarget stores in the area? I read on Wikipedia that the movie "Career Opportunities" (a box office bomb from 1991) was filmed at a Target that had just been converted from Richway in the late 80's. But surprisingly, it said Target relocated a number of Atlanta-area stores (most if not all that had been Richway) in 1995 and 1996. On the East Coast, most Targets built around that time, when Target was new to a lot of the East Coast, were Target Greatland. Also, the SuperTarget concept debuted in 1995. I went to a SuperTarget near Durham NC soon afterward and one eventually came to Spring, TX where I then lived. But there are NO SuperTargets, despite many smaller Targets, in Greater Philly where I now live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:27 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
The Target on North Druid Hills used to be a Greatland, but I think they dropped that term years ago. There are still plenty of Super Targets around town.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:06 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,910 times
I feel "mad" at Target at the moment. They closed their "replacement" Target on Mount Zion Road in Morrow (The original was at the old Richway location in the Arrowhead Shopping Center on 19/41 / Tara Boulevard). Before all of y'all start piling on about Clayton County's demise, the company spokesman at the time stated that the location was still profitable, but they "didn't make growth projections" what ever that means. I have decided that instead of Driving to Henry or Fayette Counties for a Target, I will just live without one. Quite easy I have discovered.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 AM

32 posts, read 35,106 times
I shop a lot at Target so I would miss it if they shut down around here, in Cobb County.

Their store on Hwy41 near Windy Hill is an old converted Richway, but I wish it was a Super Store. I do like their bakery and meat selection.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I feel "mad" at Target at the moment. They closed their "replacement" Target on Mount Zion Road in Morrow (The original was at the old Richway location in the Arrowhead Shopping Center on 19/41 / Tara Boulevard). Before all of y'all start piling on about Clayton County's demise, the company spokesman at the time stated that the location was still profitable, but they "didn't make growth projections" what ever that means. I have decided that instead of Driving to Henry or Fayette Counties for a Target, I will just live without one. Quite easy I have discovered.
It's understandable. I'm still shaking my head at Target folding their less than a decade old location in Lithonia right behind the Mall at Stonecrest for similar reasons. I know a number of people in Clayton that are irritated that they cannot travel to Morrow to shop at Target anymore. Instead they have to go to Fayette Pavilion, Camp Creek, Henry Town Center, or Edgewood Town Center.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It's understandable. I'm still shaking my head at Target folding their less than a decade old location in Lithonia right behind the Mall at Stonecrest for similar reasons. I know a number of people in Clayton that are irritated that they cannot travel to Morrow to shop at Target anymore. Instead they have to go to Fayette Pavilion, Camp Creek, Henry Town Center, or Edgewood Town Center.
They closed the Super Target in Duluth near Gwinnet Place Mall as well, after moving from Pleasant Hill Rd. in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
They closed the Super Target in Duluth near Gwinnet Place Mall as well, after moving from Pleasant Hill Rd. in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Yeah, they did the same in Stone Mountain when they closed their Super Target in 2011.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:03 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,869 times
Thanks all. I'm surprised a former Richway is still open as Target after so many years. In Indianapolis, Target entered the area by buying a chain called Ayr-Way, and I'm pretty sure all the stores Target bought from them were relocated by 2010. But Target bought that chain way back in 1981, and I'm sure Target stores from 1988 (when Richway was acquired) were a bit more modern than those from the beginning of the 80's.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I also stopped visiting Target very much since they closed the Duluth location and similarly found it much easier than I thought to live without it. I don't think it's as great as it used to be anyway.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
I still like them, a lot.

I'm fortunate to be right in the middle of 3 of our best - the former Greatland on North Druid Hills (with a nice new grocery section), the 2-level Buckhead store and the great Dunwoody Super Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta