U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 1,748 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Atlanta for work. I believe I would like to rent for a while before deciding on where to buy. I will probably commute to office 50% of time, travel from airport the rest, and spend some weekends at the beach. I am a 40something single female with no children, fairly active (bike, jog, surf) but also like to have a nice private oasis at home when wanted.

1. Budget - Pretty open but probably around $1500-$3500 month - could do turn-key with all utilities etc.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Rent-I'm thinking condo, convenience is a good thing
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Working near NW, perimeter and 75
4. Children(public school vs. private) - NONE
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Probably more urban, but if able to ride bike or parks a plus
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - if transit works for airport that would be a plus, but I can plan travel around traffic
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - do not want to spend life in the car, but I'm not typically a suburban person; historically upscale/professional areas - I can do high end, but I tend to search out more eclectic places in my off time, neighborhood bistros/coffee houses/diner breakfasts - location of a good gym is important

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 PM

246 posts, read 223,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashby View Post
I am contemplating a move to Atlanta for work. I believe I would like to rent for a while before deciding on where to buy. I will probably commute to office 50% of time, travel from airport the rest, and spend some weekends at the beach. I am a 40something single female with no children, fairly active (bike, jog, surf) but also like to have a nice private oasis at home when wanted.

1. Budget - Pretty open but probably around $1500-$3500 month - could do turn-key with all utilities etc.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Rent-I'm thinking condo, convenience is a good thing
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Working near NW, perimeter and 75
4. Children(public school vs. private) - NONE
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Probably more urban, but if able to ride bike or parks a plus
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - if transit works for airport that would be a plus, but I can plan travel around traffic
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - do not want to spend life in the car, but I'm not typically a suburban person; historically upscale/professional areas - I can do high end, but I tend to search out more eclectic places in my off time, neighborhood bistros/coffee houses/diner breakfasts - location of a good gym is important

Thanks in advance.
Maybe Smyrna. The Northwest location seems to fit. I'm not sure about the availability of condos in that range but there are plenty of apartments. The Silver Comet trail is there and attracts lots of bikers. You are maybe 7 miles from the airport by car. Transit, unfortunately, is not available there, but a cab ride for that short of a distance wouldn't break you, I don't think.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,725,525 times
I was going to recommend Smyrna/Vinings as well - that is actually a very comfortable budget for the area. There are not a lot of turn key options unless you go through a corporate housing option.

The area is an easy commute to both Midtown and the airport. Great options for running and biking with the Silver Comet Trail and Chattahoochee River. Surfing - you're out of luck there in the Atlanta area.

Definitely a good option for single 40 something female.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM

10,480 posts, read 7,466,203 times
You don't have good transit option in Cobb (NW / 75 / 285 area) and Smyrna and most of the area around their is suburban.

I'd highly recommend Midtown gets you good urban life and not bad drive to Cobb, and Midtown has good transit so you can take the train to the airport and other areas of town.

You also have the Beltline on the east side of midtown.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 PM

246 posts, read 223,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
You are maybe 7 miles from the airport by car.
Whoops. Google Maps says it is more like 16 miles to the North Terminal. But, if your employer can reimburse you for the cab/shuttle rides, still not that bad.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,748 times
Thanks for all the quick responses and ideas. Someone else mentioned Vinings as well. Is buckhead anything to consider or is it just too congested to get in and out. Employer covers travel, so transit is simply a convenience thing for me coming from big cities with robust transit systems, but sounds like maybe I will be breaking out the car more often.

Can I assume that there will be good health club options anywhere or maybe a tennis club. I don't play golf so don't need all that, but might be nice to have somewhere to eat/tennis/pool if condo/apartment doesn't have those amenities.

Thanks all.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 PM

10,480 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Quote:
Is buckhead anything to consider or is it just too congested to get in and out. .
Buckhead is worth considering too, but your commute will not be great, but at least the opposite of traffic.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,725,525 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the quick responses and ideas. Someone else mentioned Vinings as well. Is buckhead anything to consider or is it just too congested to get in and out. Employer covers travel, so transit is simply a convenience thing for me coming from big cities with robust transit systems, but sounds like maybe I will be breaking out the car more often.

Can I assume that there will be good health club options anywhere or maybe a tennis club. I don't play golf so don't need all that, but might be nice to have somewhere to eat/tennis/pool if condo/apartment doesn't have those amenities.

Thanks all.
The nicest health clubs in the are is Life Time Fitness. The closest location is Sandy Spring about 10 miles away. In Midtown, Buckhead and Vinings there are LA Fitness options all over, there is also a fairly nice YMCA near Vinings. There are also lots of great boutique gyms (Pilates, Cycling, Rowing etc) in all of the areas.

Buckhead is an option but has the potential of being a bad commute with traffic. You will have to learn the good routes through the neighborhoods because if you look at a map it won't appear as if there is a direct route between the two areas.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:31 AM

160 posts, read 103,405 times
Midtown is what you're looking for.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 AM

42 posts, read 39,585 times
Buckhead is what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or