Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM

209 posts, read 276,432 times

Advertisements

LINK

Saporta Report champions transit, so their analysis is focused on that.

I believe there's plenty of misinformation floating around about HB170 here on this board. Hopefully, this will clear things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Well, it's nice to know that they are focused on congested areas like I-85.

But I just don't know what can really be done about it. I don't think there's any more room to expand and it's pretty clear that the HOT lanes haven't done anything to help.

So I'd like to see just what the state plans to do to help with situations like this.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:40 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
It's not misinformation, but the shape of the bills are changing rapidly as they move through the lege.

I found this reassuring:

Quote:
House Bill 170 now provides for the collection of taxes and fees to pay for transportation projects, in addition to motor fuel taxes. The stream of money from taxes and fees can be spent on public transit, while the motor fuel tax remains dedicated by the state Constitution to roads and bridges.
The final version of House Bill 170 specifically cites transit as eligible for funding:
So maybe local jurisdictions can vote to raise the MARTA sales tax using this provision, making the other amendment redundant.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:56 PM

209 posts, read 276,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
So maybe local jurisdictions can vote to raise the MARTA sales tax using this provision, making the other amendment redundant.
It's possible. That may have been the "Technical issue" that led to the additional half-penny amendment getting crushed so resoundingly.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:35 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
It's possible. That may have been the "Technical issue" that led to the additional half-penny amendment getting crushed so resoundingly.
What I want to know is, why can't (or maybe they already can?) a county vote to raise their own amount of money to fund MARTA? They can do it for any other county transit projects they want can't they?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
It's separate from the MARTA tax, but it allows counties not participating in the regional TSPLOSTS to vote on a TSPLOST specific to that county. That would include the counties in the Atlanta region since the regional one was voted down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: