U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
this.

theft of federal money is always not going to go well in the court room.

not to mention they were stealing from a program and essentially diverting money away from deserving school systems...you steal from children and the gov't...see ya.

Really? What program was that? Name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:26 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,264,605 times
Judge to Atlanta cheating defendants: Make a deal or go to jail | www.ajc.com

For God's sakes, ex-teachers, take the deal.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:00 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,608,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Really? What program was that? Name it.
test scores equated to bonuses.

bonuses take from federal dollars budgeted to schools.

teachers committed fraud in order to receive said bonuses.

i'm not sure if the bonus program has a name.

it is theft. it is fraud.

i can't believe there are this many sympathizers. its really unf'in believable. the law is pretty clear about the infractions they made.

if I worked for a company and was on commission ...I found a way to over report sales and thus fraudulently increase my bonus. what should the punishment be? nothing?

people think that because they are teachers they should get a pass? wtf? i really don't think its because they are teachers, its the elephant in the room.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post

i can't believe there are this many sympathizers. its really unf'in believable. the law is pretty clear about the infractions they made.

if I worked for a company and was on commission ...I found a way to over report sales and thus fraudulently increase my bonus. what should the punishment be? nothing?

people think that because they are teachers they should get a pass? wtf? i really don't think its because they are teachers, its the elephant in the room.
Okay, I hear your frustration. I just do not feel it.

Yes, they committed fraud but not anything remotely related to racketeering. You cannot name a thing that they got a bonus for regarding these acts aside from keeping a job because it does not exist. They did not earn a single extra dollar for their acts. I was actually surprised that was a motivation you came up with which is why I asked WTActualF you were talking about.

In the spirit of unpopular opinions, I'm going to state mine. How could one be too dumb to pass a multiple choice exam? What could have possibly resulted in the need for a test score to be changed? That being said, I don't have the patience for this and decided not to be a teacher even though most of my family is because it's a thankless and low-paying job.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM
bu2

9,896 posts, read 6,373,290 times
Quote:
Okay, I hear your frustration. I just do not feel it.

Yes, they committed fraud but not anything remotely related to racketeering. You cannot name a thing that they got a bonus for regarding these acts aside from keeping a job because it does not exist. They did not earn a single extra dollar for their acts. I was actually surprised that was a motivation you came up with which is why I asked WTActualF you were talking about.

In the spirit of unpopular opinions, I'm going to state mine. How could one be too dumb to pass a multiple choice exam? What could have possibly resulted in the need for a test score to be changed? That being said, I don't have the patience for this and decided not to be a teacher even though most of my family is because it's a thankless and low-paying job.
Atlanta had a program giving them bonuses for meeting targets. That's been widely reported in the news.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,608,205 times
So they keep their job, Ok. Maybe the little bit I've heard on the news, I've taken away the wrong impressions. I heard bonuses were at stake. Perhaps not for the teachers, but the admins?

However, last I heard, they pay salaries (not bonuses) in cash, not peanuts.

Once again, if I'm a sales guy. I need to hit this quota. I fraudulently change the numbers to make it look like I hit the numbers so I keep my job. Did I commit a crime?

That question is rhetorical as I would hope 99.9999% of the population immediately knows the answer. However it seems only about 50% do. Maybe those 50% were taught by these teachers and received a poor education.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 AM

1,164 posts, read 962,711 times
Quote:
How could one be too dumb to pass a multiple choice exam? What could have possibly resulted in the need for a test score to be changed?
Are you blaming this conspiracy by administrators and teachers on the stupid kids? And even if the kids were too stupid to pass a test, how does that entail that there was a "need for a test score to be changed"?

"Maybe I cheated on my sales reports, but it wasn't my fault. My sales prospects were just too cheap to buy as much as they should have, so the sales reports 'needed to be changed!'"

Really?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:36 AM
bu2

Its hard for me to understand how people who have been following this can have sympathy for these people. Even the governor got a lot of pressure:

Witness: APS defendant ordered "go to hell" memos | 11alive.com

The 9 most depressing details in the APS cheating report | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Former Gov. Perdue testifies in APS cheating trial | www.wsbtv.com

Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Are you blaming this conspiracy by administrators and teachers on the stupid kids? And even if the kids were too stupid to pass a test, how does that entail that there was a "need for a test score to be changed"?

"Maybe I cheated on my sales reports, but it wasn't my fault. My sales prospects were just too cheap to buy as much as they should have, so the sales reports 'needed to be changed!'"

Really?
Read the Creative Loafing article. That excuse is one of the "9 depressing things."

Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,695,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL G olfer;39 to Al214325

Fulton County judges give plenty of second, third, etc chances to Atlanta criminals daily in court

I agree with what you said just don't pick and choose what is right or wrong. I'm sure your employer wants you working right now instead of posting on C-D all day. Im sure this is considered fraud somewhere in your employee handbook.When you get a ticket for going 1 mile over the speed limit remember a crime is a crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or