U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,065,161 times

Advertisements

The other concern I would have in your price range, is that in areas where there are new subdivisoins in your price range, there are probably lots of them -- or will be when the market recovers. Resale any time soon will probably be nearly impossible -- and how these properties (in the further exurbs) hold their value hasn't been proven yet.

There are some "experts" out there who believe that if the price of gas continues to rise, that many future residents of Metro ATL will change their demands for housing and live closer to work. (ie multi-family housing, detached garden style homes) So the demands in the futher bedroom communities will not be there in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
As some have said, you're going to need to head out to the far burbs in order to get that price range. Expect basic stick-built homes. Nothing outstanding, and yes, small (in the 1300 square foot or so range. Master bedrooms in the 12x14 ft size tops, etc. Some of the complexes may have a pool or tennis or be located near a public area that offers them.

Forsyth, Cherokee, or Paulding are going to be the areas where you will fine the "least bad" of the cheap subdivisions. Still, don't be totally shocked to find a number of monster wheeled pickup trucks in the driveways along with the occational four wheeler zipping down the road, and the occasional husband/wife fight out in the front yard. With a name like "BronxtoAtlanta" I'm wondering how well you'd adjust (or not) to that type of environment, to be honest - though I don't know you personally, so maybe I'm wrong. You might find cheap new homes in South Cobb or Douglas, but that close in you're talking the other way around where you'll hear Rap music from the neighbors at 3am, Pit Bulls barking in the yard at 4am, and once again, the husband/wife and girlfriend fighting in the front yard from time to time. In other words, sub-$175k these days isn't going to get you a home in Atlanta's version of Orange County with model neighbors.

If you will settle for older homes (1960s) that might need some paint or a new A/C unit, then you can find all kinds of stuff in the Powder Springs and Hiram/Dallas areas in that range. Usually brick ranch style homes on larger lots, or 70s/80s two story wood frame jobs. You may find that while some of the older brick homes especially, need a little updating, they're built better overall than the new stuff that's going up in the sub-$250k range in many areas of Atlanta. I've been in homes that are brand new and as of yet unsold that cost $225k or more and they're already showing cracks in the doorways, creeks on the stairs, etc. Georgia has VERY lax building codes compared to many other states, so it's very easy to find shotty construction on new homes that on the outside look very nice. Regardless of which way you go, a good home inspector is highly recommended.
In his own special way , Greg hits the nail on the head. At the price point you're looking for, be very careful. It's easy to end up with a lemon or in a community that is going downhill fast, even though it has new construction. A building inspector would be very helpful. Also, I cannot emphasize the benefit of renting for a year in order to discover the area so you can choose the subdivision that's right for you.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,376,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxtoATL View Post
"Gee, you don't ask for much for $175k- I suppose you'd like granite countertops, 10' ceilings and tons of crown moulding too? lol

If you're willing to head out into Cherokee County, you can find some places in your price range- they'll be on the smallish side, and may not have pools/tennis, but they'll be new or relatively new."

I meant a subdivision with Pool/Tennis. I have been seeing quite a few homes in different areas priced under $175K, but just not sure about the areas... So before you offer your professional advice, you may want to search the web and see what I am talking about. Thanks...LOL!
Im sure you can find some around. They will have Pool/Tennis and free Kevlar upon closing
Things are less here than the boro's of NYC but always remember you will get what you pay for and with Atlanta's crime rate you will really get what you pay for.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM

28 posts, read 192,668 times
I don't think there is anywhere in the US that is crime free. From reading the blogs I have decided to stay away from Clayton County because it seems pretty bad, but I think the Austell / Powder Springs area is a decent area in terms of crime and location;
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR OPINIONS ARE ABOUT AUSTELL/POWDER SPRINGS?

I would want to purchase a house for $175K or even $200K that is well built and can last the test of time. Definitely will have an inspector for any house I purchase, thanks for that advice... I may be crazy but if I am buying a house in GA for $300-$400K, I am better off staying in NY, buy a house for $500K and stick with what I know.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,788,756 times
Austell/Powder Springs is a so-so area- not gangland, but nothing to write home about either. Depending on where in that are you are, you may be very convenient to I-20, which would make for an OK commute to some areas of downtown, or you could be out in the sticks. Do you have any idea where you'll be working, or what type of work you're looking for?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,372,117 times
Yes, but the difference is location. In NY I bet you can't get a house in city, 3 miles from downtown or Manhattan, for 500K. In Atlanta, you can just about anything you want anywhere you want for that price...

However, the farther out you go the more luxurious home you will get for 175K.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,515,762 times
I think you should look into the West End or Westview area. It has a Fort Green/Brooklyn/Harlem bohemian vibe/feel to it with a nice homes in your price range and is located in the city with several Marta Stations and development/gentrification on the upswing. For a single guy from the Bronx you should be able to assimilate fine to the area and still be close (Less than 5 minutes to downtown, 10 to midtown, 15 to Buckhead) to everything in the city and have access to roads and highways and public transportation (having all those options helps alot and will make your commute a breeze!)

You can definately find some homes in your price range and the area has a wonderful housing stock. Zip Codes to look for in the MLS 30310 and 30314 and specific neighborhoods are West End and Westview. But If you can come take a look for yourself their are some gems to be had. Their is an interesting thread you can do a search on this site to find out more about the neighborhood and also plenty of sites online as well. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,372,117 times
Yeah, I definitely think you should check that area out. It's a historic area that used to be sketchy but a lot of young singles or newlyweds are buying there. Don't think there is swim/tennis unless you join a club. But then I don't know where in the city there are SFH neighborhoods with that...

Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,619,492 times
BronxtoATL,

On another note, you really should consider purchasing a townhome as well. There are several nice areas where you can buy townhomes of quality construction for $175K-$200K, including Kennesaw and parts of East Cobb. A lot of newer subdivisions are including townhomes in their communities along with single-family homes and still offer amenities such as tennis and swimming.

But again, be careful when looking for a new home at that low of a price point. Personally, I would rather buy a condo or townhome in the city at that price point rather than in the burbs because property at that price point is more likely to appreciate in value in the city than in the burbs. Also, there are a lot of single-family subdivisions in the burbs with homes at that price point that have lost a lot of their allure in a very short period.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:48 PM

13,581 posts, read 22,033,104 times
Default Austell/Powder Springs is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxtoATL View Post
I don't think there is anywhere in the US that is crime free. From reading the blogs I have decided to stay away from Clayton County because it seems pretty bad, but I think the Austell / Powder Springs area is a decent area in terms of crime and location;
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR OPINIONS ARE ABOUT AUSTELL/POWDER SPRINGS?

I would want to purchase a house for $175K or even $200K that is well built and can last the test of time. Definitely will have an inspector for any house I purchase, thanks for that advice... I may be crazy but if I am buying a house in GA for $300-$400K, I am better off staying in NY, buy a house for $500K and stick with what I know.

You will find a good house and neighborhood in your price range in Austell/Powder Springs. It is a good area. It is safe, stable, and convenient.

You've already said you're not interested in a condo or townhome, so I won't talk more about it.

If you'll be mainly working in the Marietta area, Austell/Powder Springs is an excellent choice for your price range (and closer to intown Atlanta than the other areas I mentioned in my earlier post on this thread).

I hope this helps.

Good Luck, Bronx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or