U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

28 posts, read 192,684 times

Advertisements

I will be down in Febuary to do some more research on the area, believe it or not I dont plan to move until about November 08 but I am very excited and I want to do a lot of research before doing such a big change in my life.

Regarding Town Houses & Condo's I think I just need some space...LOL. I have lived in apts (in buildings and houses) for sometime and I don't enjoy having neighbors too close...

All comments are appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM

22 posts, read 69,734 times
Take a look at my blog post I just put up today. You can get a fantastic home in Sugar Hill,GA It's in N. Gwinnett Co. It's a growing area easy access to the interstate,malls, etc. North Atlanta Real Estate You can also access this from my profile website.

Let me know if you need some help finding a home here in Georgia. I would be glad to help.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM

527 posts, read 1,686,076 times
You can look in the 30189 zipcode and may find homes in the Towne Lake and Wyngate area for that price. They are not new homes, but it is a beautiful master plan community with two major golf courses, etc. Each subdivision has its own swimming pool, tennis, play area, etc.

Also look at Bridgemill. This HUGE subdivision is in Canton which is in cherokee county. You MAY find homes in that price range. The homes are newer then Towne Lake...

Woodstock has a quaint little downtown area, tons of stores, resturants, and good schools (for Georgia that is)

There are other major subdivisions in Cherokee county: Harmony on the Lake, Governors Preserve, and River Green. I have no idea what the prices are but check in one of those realtors website by subdivision and something may pop up.

These are all nice and safe areas. However, they are far from downtown atlanta and traffic will be awful...just keep that in mind.

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,501,596 times
For the Villas I mentioned (small single family detached homes)...
The first one is the E-W/Hicks intersection, not E-W/Floyd (my apologies)
mableton, ga - Google Maps
The second one is off Floyd
mableton, ga - Google Maps (note: Not a dirt patch anymore ;-) )

If you're willing to go into the low $200s, you'll have a some options in Cobb County for non-condo non-townhomes with pool/tennis in safe areas like those shown above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxtoATL View Post
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR OPINIONS ARE ABOUT AUSTELL/POWDER SPRINGS?
Austell center is very very cute. I honestly haven't looked around Powder Springs a lot. It has great housing deals, but it had too much of a commute for me to give it a serious look.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-16-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM

13,594 posts, read 22,044,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
For the Villas I mentioned...
The first one is the E-W/Hicks intersection, not E-W/Floyd (my apologies)
mableton, ga - Google Maps
The second one is off Floyd
mableton, ga - Google Maps (note: Not a dirt patch anymore ;-) )

If you're willing to go into the low $200s, you'll have a some options in Cobb County for non-condo non-townhomes with pool/tennis in safe areas like those shown above.

Austell center is very very cute. I honestly haven't looked around Powder Springs a lot. It has great housing deals, but it had too much of a commute for me to give it a serious look.

Downtown Powder Springs is oh-so-nice as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,240,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Downtown Powder Springs is oh-so-nice as well.
What aries.. all four buildings of it? LOL

Ok, I live in Powder Springs. I live about 1/2 mile from "downtown" Powder Springs, which is basically a few old buildings with a couple of antique shops, a florist, a restaurant or two, and stuff like that. That's it. It looks fine in the minute it takes you to drive through it, but it's not a "destination" for most who live here.

Most who live here drive the 4-5 miles West to "Hiram" along Highway 278 for all the box chain restaurants and stores that have opened up along that road in the last couple of years. If chains don't bother you, then yeah, that 8 minute drive West to Hiram will get you to stuff like Sam's Club, Circuit City, Best Buy, various chain restaurants (fast food and sit down), etc. Powder Springs proper is best described as a "bedroom community".

The Powder Springs controversy: Ok, here is the "let's get real" part. Until about 4 years ago, Powder Springs was predominately older white residents - many of whom had lived here in this particular area for decades. There was a VERY small mixture of a few foreign-born residents, and a few black folks who people would describe as "country black folks" if that makes sense.

Then, two things happened. The city of Atlanta started tearing down the low income housing projects to build trendy "mixed use developments", and the residents were able to get varied types of housing assistance vouchers to allow them to move out to suburban areas. Of which Powder Springs was one. Also, a fair number of immigrants who come from Jamaica, Haiti, Bermuda, etc., have started migrating to this area as well. So the actual city limits of Powder Springs has gone from nearly all older white country folks, to a mixture of older white country folks, island immigrants, section 8 and other low income relocated folks, and a few scatterings of mixed folks in general who have moved away from Atlanta to get a bit further out, of varied incomes, etc.

Needless to say, the transition has not been very smooth. Crime is up, and just a few days ago several teens with Powder Springs addresses were arrested for commiting armed robberies around Cobb. There is also increased gang activity and problems. I'm not saying this place is like "Thunderdome" or anything, and certainly heck if someone is moving from the Bronx, NY it's not likely the stuff around here will phase them much, but it's a stark change as to the climate here just 4 years ago. It actually used to be the type of place where you could leave your doors unlocked and your car doors unlocked (though I never did). Today you want a car alarm here and Brinks home security for your home (but that describes much of Atlanta, too).

That is again, within the city limits of Powder Springs. Just a couple of miles North of the city is the more rural area that is building up a lot, and the climate there is much more sanitized (though more expensive). In the town limits you can still get an older brick ranch for the $150k range with a good sized lot of 1/2 to 1 acre even. Just north it's going to be more in the $240k range.

Again - just being blunt in my usual way here. Powder Springs is not a dump, and there are nice areas even within the city limits to find a place, but it's one of those "in transition" types of areas. Where that transition winds up settling into hasn't yet been determined, though. So just be aware that while it's still nicer than many places in Clayton or places like Stone Mountain, it's no longer Mayberry, USA, either.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 PM

13,594 posts, read 22,044,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Ok, I live in Powder Springs. I live about 1/2 mile from "downtown" Powder Springs, which is basically a few old buildings with a couple of antique shops, a florist, a restaurant or two, and stuff like that. That's it. It looks fine in the minute it takes you to drive through it, but it's not a "destination" for most who live here.

Most who live here drive the 4-5 miles West to "Hiram" along Highway 278 for all the box chain restaurants and stores that have opened up along that road in the last couple of years. If chains don't bother you, then yeah, that 8 minute drive West to Hiram will get you to stuff like Sam's Club, Circuit City, Best Buy, various chain restaurants (fast food and sit down), etc. Powder Springs proper is best described as a "bedroom community".

The Powder Springs controversy: Ok, here is the "let's get real" part. Until about 4 years ago, Powder Springs was predominately older white residents - many of whom had lived here in this particular area for decades. There was a VERY small mixture of a few foreign-born residents, and a few black folks who people would describe as "country black folks" if that makes sense.

Then, two things happened. The city of Atlanta started tearing down the low income housing projects to build trendy "mixed use developments", and the residents were able to get varied types of housing assistance vouchers to allow them to move out to suburban areas. Of which Powder Springs was one. Also, a fair number of immigrants who come from Jamaica, Haiti, Bermuda, etc., have started migrating to this area as well. So the actual city limits of Powder Springs has gone from nearly all older white country folks, to a mixture of older white country folks, island immigrants, section 8 and other low income relocated folks, and a few scatterings of mixed folks in general who have moved away from Atlanta to get a bit further out, of varied incomes, etc.

Needless to say, the transition has not been very smooth. Crime is up, and just a few days ago several teens with Powder Springs addresses were arrested for commiting armed robberies around Cobb. There is also increased gang activity and problems. I'm not saying this place is like "Thunderdome" or anything, and certainly heck if someone is moving from the Bronx, NY it's not likely the stuff around here will phase them much, but it's a stark change as to the climate here just 4 years ago. It actually used to be the type of place where you could leave your doors unlocked and your car doors unlocked (though I never did). Today you want a car alarm here and Brinks home security for your home (but that describes much of Atlanta, too).

That is again, within the city limits of Powder Springs. Just a couple of miles North of the city is the more rural area that is building up a lot, and the climate there is much more sanitized (though more expensive). In the town limits you can still get an older brick ranch for the $150k range with a good sized lot of 1/2 to 1 acre even. Just north it's going to be more in the $240k range.

Again - just being blunt in my usual way here. Powder Springs is not a dump, and there are nice areas even within the city limits to find a place, but it's one of those "in transition" types of areas. Where that transition winds up settling into hasn't yet been determined, though. So just be aware that while it's still nicer than many places in Clayton or places like Stone Mountain, it's no longer Mayberry, USA, either.

atlantagreg...are you in the city limits of Powder Springs or unincorporated Powder Springs?

If you are in unincorporated Powder Springs...are you in "McEachernland" or "Hillgrovia?"

Just trying to get a point of reference when you're always commenting on West Cobb/Powder Springs/South Cobb, etc.

Last edited by aries4118; 01-16-2008 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 05:01 AM

563 posts, read 2,548,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Just to give another frame of reference in regards to Powder Springs...just based on what I see with my own eyes here...I think some of long time residents are somewhat resistant to change in the area. Some of them act llike the place is going to hell in a handbasket. It isn't. I think PS is just become a more diverse place to live, which is a good thing. It's still nicer than parts of Marietta, Mableton, Austell, etc. etc. I think the area is great for families who wish to be in a growing, diverse area that isn't necessarily right next door to Atlanta.

To the OP: You can find an older house in a nice subdivision here in your price range. There's actually one neighborhood that comes to mind--Country Walk.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 AM

563 posts, read 2,548,371 times
Oh, I wanted to add....

If you are looking to hang out and things inside the city...definitely think about compromising on getting a house and instead purchasing a townhouse or a cluster home closer in town, because after a while....the outer suburb thing gets old.

You can find a condo/townhouse in some close in suburbs in your price range....perhaps even a smaller house. Just keep looking @ the real estate listings. You have time.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM

16 posts, read 60,078 times
plenty:
kennesaw:
Atlanta MLS | Cobb County MLS | Cherokee County MLS (http://tinyurl.com/yrqlsc - broken link)
douglasville:
Atlanta MLS | Cobb County MLS | Cherokee County MLS (http://tinyurl.com/2zzr8a - broken link)
acworth:
Atlanta MLS | Cobb County MLS | Cherokee County MLS (http://tinyurl.com/ytmlwa - broken link)
woodstock:
Atlanta MLS | Cobb County MLS | Cherokee County MLS (http://tinyurl.com/yqpxeh - broken link)

I re-read and see you're looking for new, the best bet would be Douglasville area, but the links I gave you most are max 10 yrs old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or