U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 AM

72 posts, read 66,965 times

Advertisements

I quit being a fan because they thought a 18 year old stadium was too old for them. And they couldn't get what they wanted from the city and got rid of every fan favorite every year, refused to fire a manager for mediocre performances.

Now they have the audacity to air on the radio 50 years in Atlanta ads. Don't get caught up on the technicalities of Atlanta metro area. their is no personality, heart or soul to the Galleria/Cumberland area. There will be no view of the SkyLine. there will be no trips from Marta when they move. The Prices for food, parking, beer, admission, will all increase for an inferior product.

The company that owns the team doesn't want to increase payroll when a team in the top 10 in payroll wins the World Series 90% of the time. And this a big middle finger to those loyal fans who attend many games living east and south of the city. Basically anyone who does Not live west of where I-285 and GA 400 meet and north of where I-285 and I-20 meet near 6 Flags will have to leave their house or work at 6pm to get to a game on time at 7:30. I was a loyal fan until the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwas99x View Post
There will be no view of the SkyLine.
You know, I was thinking about this the other day. The way the stadium will be oriented, I think the people down the first base line (up high of course) will be able to see the skyline. At the very least they should see Buckhead.

If not, they'll have that wonderful view of the Comcast building

Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 AM

5,434 posts, read 3,833,123 times
Quote:

The company that owns the team doesn't want to increase payroll when a team in the top 10 in payroll wins the World Series 90% of the time.
As part of the tax swap deal with Time Warner, Liberty Media can't arbitrarily increase/decrease the team's payroll on its own. That means the Braves are highly reliant on revenue they generate (TV rights, stadium, etc.).

Basically, the garbage TV deal that they struck right before Liberty Media took the team is what's dooming the payroll, and is also part of the reason why they're ditching the Ted after only 20 years.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 AM

1,061 posts, read 921,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sorry Joe, Braves have done plenty enough to lose the support of me and many others. Good luck on your blind following of a name. I desire a team that is worthy of support.
^This

Old 04-09-2015, 07:09 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,636,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Attitude? Give me a break.
So the dictatorial attitude of Chairman Lee isn't worthy of criticism?
The ultra secret meetings to commit $400 in taxpayer funds?
Moving a team with no real heads up to their namesake?

Its so damn dirty.

Here's some reasons for a bad attitude for this move:
It logistically sucks for just about everyone on the south/other side of the Hooch.
It's removal of soul from the team as it becomes just some brand.
Cobb County citizens got screwed because Tim Lee got played by Liberty Media.

Sorry, I guess the facts, I mean "butthurt" keeps bothering me about this whole deal.

Atlanta has to find a new team, one everyone can get behind symbolically as general support of the city. The Braves are not that anymore. Guess once the Atlanta Spirit leaves, the Hawks will be a pretty good candidate.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 AM

559 posts, read 661,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
As part of the tax swap deal with Time Warner, Liberty Media can't arbitrarily increase/decrease the team's payroll on its own. That means the Braves are highly reliant on revenue they generate (TV rights, stadium, etc.).

Basically, the garbage TV deal that they struck right before Liberty Media took the team is what's dooming the payroll, and is also part of the reason why they're ditching the Ted after only 20 years.

100% correct.

The TV deal is a major hurdle to overcome, especially when you consider NL rival the Dodgers signed a $7 Billion TV deal over 25 years . . . or an avg of $280 mil/yr.

Phillies TV deal is $2.5 billion over 25 years . . . avg of $100 mil/yr.

Granted, the Braves did re-work their TV deal last year to add $500 mil over the remaining life of the contract, but you're still talking chump change compared to rivals. And that's for at least another 13 years.

Dodgers' 2014 payroll was $235 mil.
Phillies 2014 payroll was $177 mil.
Braves' 2014 payroll was $114 mil . . . 24th in MLB.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:29 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
Quote:
Basically anyone who does Not live west of where I-285 and GA 400 meet and north of where I-285 and I-20 meet near 6 Flags will have to leave their house or work at 6pm to get to a game on time at 7:30. I was a loyal fan until the move.
No different from where the Braves are now. Have you driven south on 400/85 then onto the connector through downtown? It's terrible. Yet everyone from Cobb, N Fulton, Cherokee, Forsyth, Gwinnett, N Atlanta, N Dekalb had to take that route. Or try to take 285 and fight traffic SB on the west and east sides to 20.

We've all seen the map of where the season ticket holders are. It's concentrated on the northside. It'll be closer for Cobb and N Fulton, probably about the same for Gwinnett.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:38 AM

939 posts, read 648,216 times
I have, even though they are 3-0. It won't last, as lack of talent wins out over 162 games. The trade of Kimbrel was the final nail in the coffin. Shurholz, Cox, and Hart are ruining what was once a very good organization. Time for all 3 to head for the retirement home for old baseball executives. Why is it neccessary to completely ruin a team in order to build back up? St Louis, Detroit, San Fran, etc don't use that strategy! Maybe they will be contenders again in a couple of years, but I don't trust current management, nor do I think much of F Gonzalez. We essentially traded J Upton, Kimbrel, and Gattis for next to nothing! Most "prospects" never see a major league diamond.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 AM

29,357 posts, read 26,306,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The ultra secret meetings to commit $400 in taxpayer funds?
Are these the same ultra secret meetings where the videos are posted on the county's website?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 AM

148 posts, read 184,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
We essentially traded J Upton, Kimbrel, and Gattis for next to nothing! Most "prospects" never see a major league diamond.
We didn't win with those guys, it wasn't working, and we dumped salary obligations. Good luck to everyone "dumping" the Braves, I hope you find a new team to root for that meet's all of your standards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or