U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM

10,590 posts, read 7,528,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are these the same ultra secret meetings where the videos are posted on the county's website?
Nope. Most the details were worked out where only a few Cobb reps at a time met with the Braves to avoid a quorum so they could avoid disclosure laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM

29,394 posts, read 26,351,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nope. Most the details were worked out where only a few Cobb reps at a time met with the Braves to avoid a quorum so they could avoid disclosure laws.
Can't say I'm surprised. That seems to be the way most of these deals get started.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:54 AM

939 posts, read 649,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I am slowly becoming a fan of the Cubs. They have been in the same beautiful stadium a 100 years and are good to their fans and their fans are loyal in return despite the record long period without a world series win. But I am also hoping the Nashville or Charlotte gets a team so there is someone closer I can root for. And who knows, maybe a decade or so from now maybe the Braves will find new owners and decide a team is more than dollars and player stats and they actually care about their fans in Atlanta.
I beg to differ on the Cubs. They are not good to their loyal fans, since management rarely puts a decent product on the field.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,838,546 times
The Braves deserve 20 losing seasons. May the Cobb County Curse live on.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I beg to differ on the Cubs. They are not good to their loyal fans, since management rarely puts a decent product on the field.
I am not a fair-weather fan like some. I support teams for the long term for what they represent / who they are far more than their win %. But since the Braves have shifted who they are so dramatically over the last few years I no longer see them as anything more than a perversion of the team I cheered for since I was six. They could win the World Series this year and I would still not be a fan. We will see what will happen with the Cubs or whatever team I decide to follow next. It will take years if I even find another team at all.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM

29,394 posts, read 26,351,880 times
It's hard for me to see how the Braves move to Cumberland is a big deal. They'd been stuck south of downtown for 50 years with no real development near the stadium and no control. The COA got absorbed in placating the Falcons and was already more than tapped out.

Fortunately Cobb stepped up and offered to fill the gap. The new stadium is closer to most Braves fans. It will be beautiful and is already sparking a ton of new development.

Seems like a win for all involved to me.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 AM

7,415 posts, read 10,082,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's hard for me to see how the Braves move to Cumberland is a big deal. They'd been stuck south of downtown for 50 years with no real development near the stadium and no control. The COA got absorbed in placating the Falcons and was already more than tapped out.

Fortunately Cobb stepped up and offered to fill the gap. The new stadium is closer to most Braves fans. It will be beautiful and is already sparking a ton of new development.

Seems like a win for all involved to me.
This is the bottom line. This is what the vast majority of the fans will feel. Web sites like this bring out those whose political biases get in the way and try to paint something that isn't as tho it is. I would like to see at least one of those that are butthurt put some pressure on the CoA for neglecting the Braves the last twenty years. "Hey, you got a new ballpark from the Olympics. Be happy." Pretty much what the CoA did to the team after almost 50 years.

The Falcons have done the exact same thing, are ditching an even nicer stadium for a newer one, used the lure of the suburbs to get the city to come calling. So, not enough to placate both teams? Like everyone else commenting here, I was not privy to the ins and outs, but it makes sense that the city can't roll over for everyone. So the Braves should be stuck in an OK stadium in a crummy part of town that the city refused to make decent for the team and took a better offer nearby? Makes sense. Not pleasing to all citizens? No answer would be. Stop being a fan because of this? YOU WERE NEVER A FAN TO BEGIN WITH.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This is the bottom line. This is what the vast majority of the fans will feel. Web sites like this bring out those whose political biases get in the way and try to paint something that isn't as tho it is. I would like to see at least one of those that are butthurt put some pressure on the CoA for neglecting the Braves the last twenty years. "Hey, you got a new ballpark from the Olympics. Be happy." Pretty much what the CoA did to the team after almost 50 years.

The Falcons have done the exact same thing, are ditching an even nicer stadium for a newer one, used the lure of the suburbs to get the city to come calling. So, not enough to placate both teams? Like everyone else commenting here, I was not privy to the ins and outs, but it makes sense that the city can't roll over for everyone. So the Braves should be stuck in an OK stadium in a crummy part of town that the city refused to make decent for the team and took a better offer nearby? Makes sense. Not pleasing to all citizens? No answer would be. Stop being a fan because of this? YOU WERE NEVER A FAN TO BEGIN WITH.
Wholly concur, St. Marks.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:09 AM

arjay - That narrative is part of the problem. There were dozens of redevelopment ideas CoA had drafted for the area years before. But for the Braves it all came down to the amount of tax money the Braves wanted. And the multiple proposals that are just waiting for the Braves to officially say they are going to leave the area are further proof that the Braves were the problem. So I agree that Summerhill will be better without the Braves.

The fact that the Braves and Cobb are making it so much about disowning their fans in the city and points south for those in Cobb is what is so disgusting. Braves had a proud history of diversity and supporting the entire metro and the south. They are shedding that past to cater to white fans in the northern suburbs.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 AM

5,443 posts, read 3,841,408 times
Yep. This thread has gone as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or