U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM
 
Location: ATL -> HOU -> DAL
4,392 posts, read 3,558,294 times
Reputation: 3491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Think the only fake fan here is you. Think Cobb boasters are the only Braves fans left. Why would any true fans remain? It is not the same owners or coaches, they are leaving the city and their history, dumping their fans, cutting all the players people loved. What is left besides an empty name? What exactly are you a fan of? Teams that relocate across the country stay more intact that the Braves are. It's like saying the Brooklyn Dodger fans are fake fans for not supporting the current LA Dodgers (A lot of comparisons there actually, Dodgers owners were talking to LA for leverage for their plans for building a new stadium in Brooklyn or Queens but LA offered better incentives than the NY politicians so they moved there, sound like a recent move we know?)


Sounds about like my feeling towards the Braves management & Cobb Co leadership.
LOL. They're still the Braves and they still represent metro Atlanta. Did you know that every player on the 1995 world series winning team is gone? Amazing right?! Yea that's how pro sports teams work. Players move or retire. I loved Chipper since I was a little kid but I knew at some point he had to retire. I hope you aren't a fan of any college teams, if pro player turnover is bad to you college player turnover must be shocking.

Are you seriously comparing moving a team across the country to moving a team across a river? Just for the purposes of TV and radio markets you can't compare the two. From a common sense standpoint you can't compare the two. That's just silly. From a regional fan support you can't compare the two. Seeing a pattern? The Braves themselves used to be in Milwaukee and Boston before that. No one called them fake fans for losing interest in the team. They would have had to make a cross country road trip or take a flight just to see a game. Things were different back then but if it happened today forget about seeing it on local TV or seeing scores in the local paper. When the Thrashers went to Winnipeg and became the Jets all coverage of the team stopped. THAT was a move. Teams move into different stadiums quite often but stay in the same media market and that's the important thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM
 
10,537 posts, read 7,511,842 times
Reputation: 3322
Yes I am making that comparison. But I agree it may not be that accurate as the Dodgers probably kept more of their players in the move...

Still, the same anger is there for true Braves fans.

Much more goes into a "team" or being a fan besides distance. Cubs and White Sox are only 8 miles apart. Mets and Yankees are only 7 miles apart.

Last edited by jsvh; 04-06-2015 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 965,647 times
Reputation: 1149
Well, in case it's serious and not just more hysteria, here are some reasons I'm still a Braves fan as well as some differences between the Braves 2017 move and the Brooklyn Dodgers (LOL):

10. Many of my favorite young players are still on the team: Teheran, Wood, Minor, Freeman, Simmons.
9. They've acquired some terrific prospects, some of whom I think will become favorites: I'm looking at you, Jace Peterson.
8. I can still read about my team in the local paper and listen to discussions of the team on sports radio every day.
7. I can still talk about yesterday's game around the water cooler, at lunch with coworkers, or in the yard with neighbors.
6. It may seem a continent away to hysterics, but I can journey across the river and attend a game at Turner Field.
5. I can still watch a game with other hometown fans at my local sports bar, or sitting on the couch with my family.
4. As an adult who has been a sports fan all his life, I know that players come and go; it comes with the territory.
3. Rebuilding was necessary for the Braves to become a legit contender; team was constructed poorly for today's game.
2. It's baseball and you never know.
1. I'm not a spoiled three year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Downtown Marietta
1,123 posts, read 774,333 times
Reputation: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Well, in case it's serious and not just more hysteria, here are some reasons I'm still a Braves fan as well as some differences between the Braves 2017 move and the Brooklyn Dodgers (LOL):

10. Many of my favorite young players are still on the team: Teheran, Wood, Minor, Freeman, Simmons.
9. They've acquired some terrific prospects, some of whom I think will become favorites: I'm looking at you, Jace Peterson.
8. I can still read about my team in the local paper and listen to discussions of the team on sports radio every day.
7. I can still talk about yesterday's game around the water cooler, at lunch with coworkers, or in the yard with neighbors.
6. It may seem a continent away to hysterics, but I can journey across the river and attend a game at Turner Field.
5. I can still watch a game with other hometown fans at my local sports bar, or sitting on the couch with my family.
4. As an adult who has been a sports fan all his life, I know that players come and go; it comes with the territory.
3. Rebuilding was necessary for the Braves to become a legit contender; team was constructed poorly for today's game.
2. It's baseball and you never know.
1. I'm not a spoiled three year old.
Bravo, pun fully intended. Post of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Status: "RIP Solomon Tekah" (set 7 days ago)
 
1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
Reputation: 1183
Well, they got rid of BJ. I hate that they let Heyward and Kimbrel go but I guess that it was necessary to build some depth in the farm. I hope that Simmons and Freeman stay, Simmons especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 05:14 AM
 
72 posts, read 66,982 times
Reputation: 44
I gave up on the Braves when they decided to move to Cobb County. I wonder how many other people did. I also wonder how many gave up on them when they got rid of all the fan favorites: McCann, Kimbrel, Heyward, Hudson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 AM
 
Location: City of Trees
1,061 posts, read 921,287 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Think the only fake fan here is you. Think Cobb boasters are the only Braves fans left. Why would any true fans remain? It is not the same owners or coaches, they are leaving the city and their history, dumping their fans, cutting all the players people loved. What is left besides an empty name? What exactly are you a fan of?
^This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 AM
 
10,537 posts, read 7,511,842 times
Reputation: 3322
Cameron H - You can still get news and talk to people about the Dodgers in NY today. You can still go see the Dodgers play at the Mets stadium just a few miles away, so I don't buy that that ability is what makes a fan. In fact plenty of die hard fans live hundreds of miles from the home field of their team.

If the White Sox renamed themselves the Chicago Cubs and took their branding do you think all the Cubs fans would just come over? I am sure a few fans who didn't want to lose their investment on a Cubs T-shirt would make the 8 mile trek, but no, most true fans realize their is more to a team than a name. It is about people and history which the Braves have shunned. The Braves will be fine and pick up new fans in Cobb, but you are just going to have to accept that they have lost many of their past true fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 AM
 
4,411 posts, read 4,062,796 times
Reputation: 3548
The Braves are 1-0 and and tied for #1 in baseball....we are going to the world series. :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2015, 08:34 AM
 
29,361 posts, read 26,311,861 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yes I am making that comparison. But I agree it may not be that accurate as the Dodgers probably kept more of their players in the move...

Still, the same anger is there for true Braves fans.

Much more goes into a "team" or being a fan besides distance. Cubs and White Sox are only 8 miles apart. Mets and Yankees are only 7 miles apart.
Not all of us true Braves fans are angry. I have supported them since Day 1 and feel the same as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top