Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times

Advertisements

West End vs. Westview:

What are the pros and cons of each? How do they compare to each other? What are the future plans for each? Which is most likely to accomplish them? What is the community "vibe" of each neighborhood? What areas should I avoid in each neighborhood? What areas should I definitely check out in each (if I want to move there)? Which neighborhood do you see is the best long-term investment?

http://www.westviewatlanta.com/

http://atlantawestend.com/

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
I once taught in the West End community at Brown Middle School. I really feel that West End/ West View, and even Oakland City to the south kind of "fold" into one another as a broader community. West End does, overall, have a more "historic" housing stock overall through my estimation. The blocks off of Abernathy (Peeple Street, Oak Street, Oglethorpe Avenue) have Victorian homes with small wrought iron gated gardens almost like the Victorian districts of Savannah or even New Orleans for lack of a better description. Also like those southern coastal cities, there is a mix of older homes with newer (but defnitely not new) multi-family units. West of the Kroger City Center on Cascade, you have another part of the West End (South Gordon/ Ontario) that has larger homes and a little larger lots and some parkway like streets with medians if my memory serves me. West View is west/ northwest of this part of the West End and really adjacent. West View has the typical 1920's - 1940's brick bungalows so plentiful in all parts of Atlanta in that former suburban boom. Oakland City to the south also is mostly bungalows. There are some streets of Oakland City with nicer, larger homes (Avon Avenue) but I feel overall, even in its heydays of the 1940's-50's, Oakland City always rode the coattails of West End along with Westview depending on the larger adjacent community for shopping and even schools. (The southern parts of Oakland City also fed into Sylvan Hills and Therrell High Schools back in the day; while the northern part went to Brown High School in West End. Perhaps what I have used way too many words to say is that from what have observed, West End and Westview are basically the same community with very similar "vibes" The older core of West End (Oglethorpe/ Peeples/ Abernathy near West Hunter Street Baptist Church) would definitely win the walk-ability and transit access award, though since it is closer to the commercial district and MARTA station.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 AM

14 posts, read 18,090 times
Default Great response

A timely thoughtful response. Also take a look out west along cascade Rd from the beautiful restaurant west on cascade to Starbucks area and back. Less diverse brick homes more middle and upper class African Americans -- great area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I once taught in the West End community at Brown Middle School. I really feel that West End/ West View, and even Oakland City to the south kind of "fold" into one another as a broader community. West End does, overall, have a more "historic" housing stock overall through my estimation. The blocks off of Abernathy (Peeple Street, Oak Street, Oglethorpe Avenue) have Victorian homes with small wrought iron gated gardens almost like the Victorian districts of Savannah or even New Orleans for lack of a better description. Also like those southern coastal cities, there is a mix of older homes with newer (but defnitely not new) multi-family units. West of the Kroger City Center on Cascade, you have another part of the West End (South Gordon/ Ontario) that has larger homes and a little larger lots and some parkway like streets with medians if my memory serves me. West View is west/ northwest of this part of the West End and really adjacent. West View has the typical 1920's - 1940's brick bungalows so plentiful in all parts of Atlanta in that former suburban boom. Oakland City to the south also is mostly bungalows. There are some streets of Oakland City with nicer, larger homes (Avon Avenue) but I feel overall, even in its heydays of the 1940's-50's, Oakland City always rode the coattails of West End along with Westview depending on the larger adjacent community for shopping and even schools. (The southern parts of Oakland City also fed into Sylvan Hills and Therrell High Schools back in the day; while the northern part went to Brown High School in West End. Perhaps what I have used way too many words to say is that from what have observed, West End and Westview are basically the same community with very similar "vibes" The older core of West End (Oglethorpe/ Peeples/ Abernathy near West Hunter Street Baptist Church) would definitely win the walk-ability and transit access award, though since it is closer to the commercial district and MARTA station.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
I reside in West End its no competition we are in the same NPU and have meetings for the overall community and really are the same. The distinction is only because of the dumb way the city has boundaries that could have you in West End, but your neighbors house in Westview.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I reside in West End its no competition we are in the same NPU and have meetings for the overall community and really are the same. The distinction is only because of the dumb way the city has boundaries that could have you in West End, but your neighbors house in Westview.
Westview was built as an extension of West End, that's why the neighborhoods have different names.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Westview was built as an extension of West End, that's why the neighborhoods have different names.
Not quite. This is from one of the local Westview/West End historians...

"First, ignore the current boundaries. West End and Westview are modern neighborhoods created by City Council legislation that aren't really reflective of historic boundaries. This is all West End historically. People owned land in West End and they sub-divided it into lots,. People bought the lots and then built their homes.

The section north of KIPP/Lucile in Westview was known as the Mathewson Sub-Division. (It belonged to Mrs. Anna C. Mathewson. She was quite the business woman for the time.) I attached the plat map here. The northern end of the Mathewson Sub-Division was cleared for I-20 in the 1960s."

The part of Westview that was south of RDA was called "West End Park".

More commentary from a local resident...

"Legend has it that when the West End had the opportunity to be designated a historic district, the section west of Langhorn, north of RDA, and south of I-20 opted out and, in a sense, were disowned by the Historic West End. I heard that this led to that section of the neighborhood being incorporated into what we now know as Westview."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westview,_Atlanta

Also from the article...

"There are two active neighborhood organizations within Westview:

Westview Community Organization (WCO) – The Westview Community Organization, which formed in 1974, is the largest and oldest neighborhood organization in Westview and encompasses the entire neighborhood...

West End Coalition Group (WEC) – The West End Coalition formed in 1992 when neighbor’s organized to prevent housing deterioration, blight and community destabilization. Despite what the name implies, the organization is located in Westview and encompasses a northeastern portion of the neighborhood. Its streets include Laurel Avenue, Wellington Street, Inman Street, Mathewson Place, Altoona Place, Enota Place, and Lucile Avenue..."

In fact, many of the older people who live north of RDA do not even consider that part Westview. They still consider themselves as part of the West End. I also attached a flyer auctioning homes in what is now known as Westview as the West End (circa 1917 or so).
Attached Thumbnails
West End vs. Westview-1911-westview.jpg   West End vs. Westview-westview-auction-1917-.jpg  

Old 05-21-2016, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 18,090 times
While a distinction without a real difference real estate agents and those living in the areas have defined their areas differently

Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Not quite. This is from one of the local Westview/West End historians...

"First, ignore the current boundaries. West End and Westview are modern neighborhoods created by City Council legislation that aren't really reflective of historic boundaries. This is all West End historically. People owned land in West End and they sub-divided it into lots,. People bought the lots and then built their homes.

The section north of KIPP/Lucile in Westview was known as the Mathewson Sub-Division. (It belonged to Mrs. Anna C. Mathewson. She was quite the business woman for the time.) I attached the plat map here. The northern end of the Mathewson Sub-Division was cleared for I-20 in the 1960s."

The part of Westview that was south of RDA was called "West End Park".

More commentary from a local resident...

"Legend has it that when the West End had the opportunity to be designated a historic district, the section west of Langhorn, north of RDA, and south of I-20 opted out and, in a sense, were disowned by the Historic West End. I heard that this led to that section of the neighborhood being incorporated into what we now know as Westview."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westview,_Atlanta

Also from the article...

"There are two active neighborhood organizations within Westview:

Westview Community Organization (WCO) – The Westview Community Organization, which formed in 1974, is the largest and oldest neighborhood organization in Westview and encompasses the entire neighborhood...

West End Coalition Group (WEC) – The West End Coalition formed in 1992 when neighbor’s organized to prevent housing deterioration, blight and community destabilization. Despite what the name implies, the organization is located in Westview and encompasses a northeastern portion of the neighborhood. Its streets include Laurel Avenue, Wellington Street, Inman Street, Mathewson Place, Altoona Place, Enota Place, and Lucile Avenue..."

In fact, many of the older people who live north of RDA do not even consider that part Westview. They still consider themselves as part of the West End. I also attached a flyer auctioning homes in what is now known as Westview as the West End (circa 1917 or so).
West End Park was built from the abandoned Westwood Park project. This was planned after West End was established. It wasn't even in Atlanta city limits when first conceived. It grew along the extended streetcar from West End to the Westview Cemetery along Ralph David Abernathy.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
West End Park was built from the abandoned Westwood Park project. This was planned after West End was established. It wasn't even in Atlanta city limits when first conceived. It grew along the extended streetcar from West End to the Westview Cemetery along Ralph David Abernathy.
True. Is this also the case for the section of Westview that is north of RDA?

Old 05-22-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3 View Post
While a distinction without a real difference real estate agents and those living in the areas have defined their areas differently
You mean the mid to late 20th century residents and the early 20th century real estate agents? The flyer that refers to the West End home auction (that is now in Westview) was from 1911 to 1917. I think before the mid to late 1900's, everyone was on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta