U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:17 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,523,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofanxiety View Post
Hello All,

Many have told me that Atlanta is just a bigger Memphis. I've received that response from Atlantans and Memphians.
I don't know who you've been getting your information from but it sounds like you have been greatly misled about the differences between the two cities.

Other than being located in the Southern U.S., Atlanta and Memphis are two VERY DIFFERENT cities.

The similarities between Atlanta and Memphis pretty much stop at the two cities' Southern location.

Atlanta is an international city that anchors a much larger major metro region that is home to the world's busiest passenger airport and an increasingly intensely diverse population with an increasing abundance of residents from every continent and darned near every nation on the face of the globe.

Memphis is a mid-sized metro area that is somewhat provincial in nature while Atlanta is a large major metro area with a massive transient population (lots and lots of people from other parts of the nation and the world living in the Atlanta metro area) that dominates the social, cultural and political structures of Metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

With so many people from other parts of the nation and the world (particularly with so many people from the Northeastern and Midwestern U.S.) living here, Metro Atlanta often gets described as having the feel of a Northern city that just happens to be located in the South.

There are also an overwhelming amount of immigrants from Latin America, Asia, Africa, the Carribean and Eastern Europe who live in the Atlanta metro area.

...For example, Gwinnett County, a large and very fast-growing suburban county northeast of Atlanta, is regarded by many to be the most diverse county in the entire Southeastern U.S.

Large swaths of Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb and Clayton counties are also extremely (if not exceptionally) diverse.

Atlanta has about five times the metropolitan population of Memphis (not to mention that Atlanta probably has at least five times the metro traffic and overcrowding of Memphis).

Another major difference between Atlanta and Memphis is that the traffic is infinitely and exponentially much worse in Atlanta than it is in Memphis. Massive mind-numbing traffic jams are a very frequent and common occurrence in the Atlanta metro area. Major traffic jams are not uncommon even on nights and weekends in the Atlanta metro area.

Severe traffic congestion is so common that it has had an effect on the quality-of-life in the Atlanta metropolitan region. The traffic congestion situation in Atlanta is so profound that it has had a direct effect on the jobs that people take and the places that they choose to live.

(...Newcomers to Atlanta are often very strongly advised to live as close to work as they possibly can so that they don't end up spending most of their lives sitting in mind-numbing traffic jams on Atlanta's often severely-gridlocked highway system.)

If one was to move from Memphis to Atlanta thinking that Atlanta was simply just a "bigger version of Memphis", they would be in for a rude awakening, particularly on the traffic front.

If anything, like other posters have stated, Atlanta could best be described as being a bigger version of Nashville because of the comparisons in growth, transient culture and transportation woes between the two cities.

Though the size and stature of Atlanta's metropolitan area and population puts it much more in a category along with such large major metro areas as Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Washington D.C. and Miami (all large metro regions with populations over the 6 million inhabitant mark) than it does with mid-sized metro areas like Memphis and Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Born and raised in Memphis up to middle school. When I read the title of your thread, I burst out laughing. Atlanta is not even close to being a "bigger Memphis." Memphis doesn't even compare. I would LOVE to know who told you that ridiculousness. My dad's side of the family still lives in Germantown. Memphis is country, not cutting edge, and for sure not a world class city. No disrespect, but I don't have time to sit here and tell you all things about Atlanta that makes it head and shoulders above Memphis. You need to come with your boyfriend on one of his trips, and look around for yourself. And I don't mean for 1 or 2 days.

The areas you're looking at are very expensive and hot real estate right now. With your boyfriend having his own business, and what's sounds like a somewhat shaky employment situation for you, I suggest you have your finances in major order with a hefty savings. For instance, if you're making $40k in Memphis, you'll need to make nearly $47k to survive in Atlanta. There are jobs, but the competition is fierce; top jobs are in the Tech field or Medicine. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,523,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofanxiety View Post
So here is the dilemma. We've been together for 5 years. I've moved once before, leaving behind a good job, and basically starting over. It was very rocky at first after the move but we got through it. His main focus was making sure my daughter was in a good school.

I moved from an extremely small city (Little Rock, AR) my daughter and I to live with my boyfriend of 5 years in Germantown TN. He is originally from Memphis. He found a great school for her and a cheap townhome close to the school. We've been here for 2yrs. I'm working from home with a start-up company as a marketer. Salary + commission is great(very spoiled). Plus I'm learning a lot. The company almost tanked in November but they went out of their way to save my position. They even paid me while the company was down. Now I'm rebuilding the start-up and going through the motions.

Now he has started a company in Atlanta with 3 other partners and they are doing pretty well. The business will have been open for 1yr this August. The majority of his time is in Atlanta because of the business.

His mind is set for a move to Atlanta. I've been looking through this forum as well as other places online about Atlanta public schools and getting a feel for what living downtown would be like with a 11yr old and a dog. Honestly, I think its a horrible ideal to move now.

My kid loves her school as do I. K-8 Public Elementary Schools are very hard to find. It would be silly to leave that to move to Atlanta wherein there are not a lot of good schools to choose from in the Downtown or nearby areas.

I wanted to post a thread to get some incite on the Atlanta downtown/midtown area. I have been looking mostly in the Inman Park/Candler/Edgewood/Midtown area. This is closer to his work and technically the only (public)school I see sending my child to is Inman Middle School. The townhomes/homes in this area are ridiculously expensive.

We are not the Jones! I don't want to live beyond my means at all.

Are the public schools declining? If so, why?

Living downtown/midtown is ridiculously expensive, right?

Atlanta is said to be very lucrative in new jobs, and great opportunities for minorities right now. How true is this statement?

Any words of advice would be extremely beneficial to me and my family.
Inman Middle School is a very good middle school that feeds into Grady High School which is a highly-acclaimed and highly-regarded URBAN high school in a popular and highly-coveted area of Intown neighborhoods like Virginia Highland and Midtown.

Virginia Highland (where Inman Middle School is located) and Midtown (where Grady High School is located) are two great Intown URBAN neighborhoods where many newcomers often seek to move if they are desiring an URBAN lifestyle in Metro Atlanta.

Inman Middle School and Grady High School are in highly-coveted Intown neighborhoods, but they are two urban schools with student bodies that are very socioeconomically diverse.

What concerns me is that you might potentially have some challenges transitioning from your current highly-suburban environment in Germantown, Tennessee (an outer suburb of a much smaller and less diverse city/metro area in Memphis) to a comparatively much more highly-urban and socioeconomically diverse environment in Intown Atlanta.

I'm particularly concerned about the challenges you might face transitioning to a comparatively much more urban lifestyle in Intown Atlanta because of the reservations you have about making such a move at this time and because of your personal background of spending most of your life living in a much smaller city like Little Rock, Arkansas.

I'm concerned that a transition to ultra-socioeconomically diverse Intown Atlanta (Virginia Highland and/or Midtown Atlanta) might come as something of a culture shock to you after living two years in a very suburban environment in suburban Memphis and spending most of your life in a much, much, much smaller city in Little Rock and a much more sparsely populated state like Arkansas.

Metro Atlanta offers many great outer suburban living options that would potentially be much more appealing to a person of your suburban and small city/small state background (depending on your budget)....But if you and/or your husband's work is located in Downtown Atlanta, most of those outer suburban living options would most likely involve rush hour commutes to and from work that potentially would be infinitely much longer in time and distance than you and husband might be accustomed to living in smaller metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

With your extreme reservations about making such a move from Memphis to Atlanta and with your background of living in much smaller cities like Memphis and Little Rock, your best course of action at this time might be to hold-off on making such a major move to Atlanta and do more research about what kind of job you would like to get and what kind of environment you would like to live in after moving to the extremely expansive and increasingly ultra-diverse Atlanta metro area.

What kind of job do you want after moving to Atlanta?

What kind of environment do you want to live in after moving to Atlanta? Urban, suburban or exurban? Do you want to live in an environment that is less or more diverse?

What kind of commute to and from work do you want after moving to Atlanta? Do you want a short commute or would you be willing to accept a longer commute to and from work if it meant that you could live a much more outer-suburban/exurban environment?

...These are all things that you likely need to take the time to think about before making such a potentially life-altering move from Memphis/Little Rock to mega-metro Atlanta.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,805,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Memphis is probably the one city most similar to NOLA and Savannah obviously has similarities with NOLA, but Memphis is still a different sort of city. For one, it's not as historic and it's not a tourist destination in the same way as NOLA and Savannah. Savannah and NOLA (post-Katrina) are also attracting transplants at a healthy pace, while Memphis is pretty stagnant in terms of growth. Replace Memphis with Charleston or even Mobile, and you'd have a solid triumvirate.
Haven't spent much time in Charleston, but I'm from Mobile so I could not be more amused right now. Went to college in NOLA and lived there for a few years afterwards before getting married. I have only visited a few times post-Katrina. Things have changed, but not really that much. I know that Memphis is about as new as Atlanta so you would think that the certain historical feeling you get from being in Savannah or even Boston for that matter is not present. Somehow it still feels that way to me.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 PM

89 posts, read 71,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermints View Post
I'm from Memphis and just recently moved to Atlanta and to answer your question: Yes, it is.

IMO, Atlanta is way better than Memphis. The fact that the city isn't chock-full of racism, has a LARGE variety of entertainment/tourist attractions/eatery, and you can actually watch the news without thinking you're watching the 1st 48 is only the icing on the cake. However, I'll trade Atlanta BBQ/traffic/COL for Memphis BBQ/traffic/COL any day.
HAHAH @Peppermints! People who have lived in the Greater Memphis Area within the past 5 years, and have moved to Atlanta feel the same way.

I think most people who've only visited certain locations in the Greater Memphis Area or heard about Memphis have a very general opinion of the city. Yes I am aware that Memphis is somewhat a star city on the First 48 but every city has high levels of crime in specific areas like that of Orange Mound, Raleigh,or any of South Memphis. I wouldn't advise anyone to vacay in a neighborhood known as the home of Triple 6 Mafia.
Yes, Atlanta has more tourist attractions, more people, and, its more expensive than Memphis I'm sure.

Cooper Young District reminds me of Midtown Atlanta. Except Midtown is bigger. There has been a lot of nice developments within the city. Tourists come to Memphis believe it or not. I know its hard for some to believe but its true.

Beale Street Music Festival(Memphis in May); The National Civil Rights Museum; Stax Museum, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, and the Arcade Restaurant; oh, lets not forget about Graceland for all the Elvis lovers. I usually don't even mention the Memphis Zoo or Beale Street, but people who haven't been to Memphis in some time, that is the first thing they mention.

I think Atlanta is exciting now. Its doing well in film, advertisement, and all the arts. That's great! I enjoy the cultural diversity that the Atlanta community has to offer. From the looks of the responses, I should start looking outside of Atlanta to reside.

@peppermints how are you liking the adjustment? How long have you lived in Atlanta? Do you have children? IF so, what school do they attend.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
First clarify what is meant by the term "bigger Memphis."
Atlanta and Memphis both have a somewhat similar (southern)city likeness. Great attractions (recreational and cultural), good standing historical landmarks, great support of local businesses, and huge contribution to the arts/music.

Obviously Atlanta is a lot bigger. I'm not sure why when people think of Memphis, they think of Memphis 10 years ago. The Cooper Young District is extremely eclectic and has brought a lot to the Greater Memphis Area. It reminds me a lot of Midtown Atlanta.

Memphis was once known as the poorest city, however, its one of the most charitable cities. The city of churches! It oozes history and culture. Memphis is extremely supportive of all their sporting events. The Grizzlies, the Tigers, Southern Heritage Classic.

That is the Memphis I've witness in my 2 years of being here.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Inman Middle School is a very good middle school that feeds into Grady High School which is a highly-acclaimed and highly-regarded URBAN high school in a popular and highly-coveted area of Intown neighborhoods like Virginia Highland and Midtown.

Virginia Highland (where Inman Middle School is located) and Midtown (where Grady High School is located) are two great Intown URBAN neighborhoods where many newcomers often seek to move if they are desiring an URBAN lifestyle in Metro Atlanta.

Inman Middle School and Grady High School are in highly-coveted Intown neighborhoods, but they are two urban schools with student bodies that are very socioeconomically diverse.

What concerns me is that you might potentially have some challenges transitioning from your current highly-suburban environment in Germantown, Tennessee (an outer suburb of a much smaller and less diverse city/metro area in Memphis) to a comparatively much more highly-urban and socioeconomically diverse environment in Intown Atlanta.

I'm particularly concerned about the challenges you might face transitioning to a comparatively much more urban lifestyle in Intown Atlanta because of the reservations you have about making such a move at this time and because of your personal background of spending most of your life living in a much smaller city like Little Rock, Arkansas.

I'm concerned that a transition to ultra-socioeconomically diverse Intown Atlanta (Virginia Highland and/or Midtown Atlanta) might come as something of a culture shock to you after living two years in a very suburban environment in suburban Memphis and spending most of your life in a much, much, much smaller city in Little Rock and a much more sparsely populated state like Arkansas.

Metro Atlanta offers many great outer suburban living options that would potentially be much more appealing to a person of your suburban and small city/small state background (depending on your budget)....But if you and/or your husband's work is located in Downtown Atlanta, most of those outer suburban living options would most likely involve rush hour commutes to and from work that potentially would be infinitely much longer in time and distance than you and husband might be accustomed to living in smaller metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

With your extreme reservations about making such a move from Memphis to Atlanta and with your background of living in much smaller cities like Memphis and Little Rock, your best course of action at this time might be to hold-off on making such a major move to Atlanta and do more research about what kind of job you would like to get and what kind of environment you would like to live in after moving to the extremely expansive and increasingly ultra-diverse Atlanta metro area.

What kind of job do you want after moving to Atlanta? (Currently a Marketer for a start-up company, but I have extensive background as a paralegal)

What kind of environment do you want to live in after moving to Atlanta? Urban, suburban or exurban? Do you want to live in an environment that is less or more diverse? (Looking for more diversity, hopefully in a somewhat urban/suburban area)

What kind of commute to and from work do you want after moving to Atlanta? Do you want a short commute or would you be willing to accept a longer commute to and from work if it meant that you could live a much more outer-suburban/exurban environment? (Short commute is preferable)

...These are all things that you likely need to take the time to think about before making such a potentially life-altering move from Memphis/Little Rock to mega-metro Atlanta.
@Born 2 Roll- I really appreciate your response. Its right on the money too! I felt a huge shock moving here to Memphis from Little Rock as it is a bigger city. My main concern is moving too soon. While I want to make the move to Atlanta, my reservations tell me that now isn't the time. Atlanta is much more expensive and it is bigger than Memphis. It has a lot to offer but I am afraid that moving too soon without a job will have my family in a bad position much like when I first moved to Memphis.

Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't find many similarities between Atlanta and Memphis. Atlanta wins easily in practically every comparison.
Atlanta wins indefinitely. You're correct! Memphis has changed a lot of the years. Some parts of Atlanta remind me of Memphis. People who have lived here in the Greater Memphis Area since the city has grown feel that Atlanta (the core city) is much like a bigger Memphis.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
No offense to anyone that is from Memphis, but Atlanta is not a "bigger Memphis" to me.

Oddly enough, my wife is from Little Rock and Memphis was never on her radar as a potential place of residence. The only people that I know from Memphis now live here in Georgia, so I don't know how the current Memphis compares to Atlanta outside of what I see when we pass through on our way to visit the in-laws. The Memphis that my friends/associates left behind didn't seem like much, why is why they are no longer there.
There are many Memphians who move to Atlanta. There are also many Memphians who move back saying Atlanta (the core city) is just a bigger Memphis. Thanks for your response. S/O to your wife from Little Rock!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I've raised three children in Midtown, one of whom attended Inman. Great life. Great area of town. Very good school.
What school did your child attend after Inman? I've been looking at the statistics of the Atlanta public schools online and I'm not seeing a good option for after Inman Middle School. The comments left on some of the cites about the Atlanta public school system state the public school system is declining and more families are switching to private schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or