U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,109,251 times

Advertisements

The core of the city is definitely not a bigger Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:53 AM

72 posts, read 66,790 times
No. Memphis doesn't have the Urban Sprawl nor does it has as many suburbs. And I think it only has 3 or 4 big companies.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 AM

6,180 posts, read 5,523,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
What kind of job do you want after moving to Atlanta?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofanxiety View Post
(Currently a Marketer for a start-up company, but I have extensive background as a paralegal)
What kind of environment do you want to live in after moving to Atlanta? Urban, suburban or exurban? Do you want to live in an environment that is less or more diverse?
Quote:
(Looking for more diversity, hopefully in a somewhat urban/suburban area)
What kind of commute to and from work do you want after moving to Atlanta? Do you want a short commute or would you be willing to accept a longer commute to and from work if it meant that you could live a much more outer-suburban/exurban environment?
Quote:
(Short commute is preferable)
...These are all things that you likely need to take the time to think about before making such a potentially life-altering move from Memphis/Little Rock to mega-metro Atlanta.
Quote:
@Born 2 Roll- I really appreciate your response. Its right on the money too! I felt a huge shock moving here to Memphis from Little Rock as it is a bigger city. My main concern is moving too soon. While I want to make the move to Atlanta, my reservations tell me that now isn't the time. Atlanta is much more expensive and it is bigger than Memphis. It has a lot to offer but I am afraid that moving too soon without a job will have my family in a bad position much like when I first moved to Memphis.

Thanks again!
Moving too soon is likely a legitimate concern as the Atlanta job market, while continuing to recover from the near-economic depression of the late 2000's/early 2010's, is (as other posters have stated) very competitive for most career fields....The current Atlanta job market is one that seems to be not quite large enough to adequately serve the Atlanta region's large and perennially fast-growing population.

The job market boom years of the 1980's and '90's are long gone replaced by a job market where competition for jobs can be intense and even cutthroat at times.

If one is planning on moving to Atlanta, it is a good idea to establish a long list of employment contacts before moving here, if possible.

Another concern of mine is that you seem to be stuck on an idea that Atlanta is just a bigger version of Memphis....Which if that concept helps you to be able to better personally relate to a much-larger and complex Atlanta metro area then go with it.

My biggest concern with your fixation on the concept that Atlanta is just simply a bigger version of Memphis is that you don't necessarily seem to have yet grasped how much more of a massive problem traffic congestion is in Atlanta than it is in Memphis.

Traffic congestion is an infinitely and exponentially much more pervasive problem in Atlanta than it is in Memphis. Traffic congestion is something that figures extremely heavily into the lives of metro Atlantans, much more heavily than it does into the lives of Memphians.

In Atlanta, many living and lifestyle decisions are heavily influenced by the Atlanta metro area's infamously severe traffic congestion.

Many metro Atlantans often seek to live as close as is possible to work in a conscious effort to avoid the severe traffic congestion that often plagues the Atlanta metro area....While others alter their commute and work times with some metro Atlantans opting to leave for work as early as 5 or even 4am and others opting to go into work as late as 11am to avoid the worst of the Atlanta morning and evening rush hour commute....A rush hour commute which is known to spawn rush hour delays that have lasted as long as 3 hours or more turning metro Atlanta's severely-congested freeway system into one giant rush hour parking lot.

The severe (sometimes extremely and even exceptionally severe) traffic congestion is something that could come as the biggest culture shock to you after moving here from much smaller metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

While the cost-of-living in Atlanta is substantially cheaper than it is in Northeastern metro areas like D.C., New York and Boston, it is good that you seem to recognize that the cost-of-living in Atlanta is substantially higher than it is in smaller-sized metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

The severe traffic congestion (along with the (rising) cost-of-living and the extremely competitive job market) is a major factor that could come as a major culture shock to you after moving to Atlanta from Memphis/Little Rock.

If you thought that moving from Little Rock to Memphis was a big step, moving to Atlanta will be an even bigger step.

Another thing concerns me (like other posters have mentioned) is that, with your family seeming to be living on somewhat of a limited income, your housing budget may potentially either:

A) Place you and your family in a living quarters that might be much smaller than you might desire (some really small house or small apartment or small townhome), particularly if you elect to live on the Northside of the Atlanta region (the part of the Atlanta region north of the Interstate 20) inside, at or just outside the I-285 Perimeter (the loop road that goes around the center of the Atlanta metro area and separates the city from the suburbs), or...

B) Place you and your family in an area that could potentially require a very long commute (a very long and delay-prone rush hour commute both time and distance-wise) to and from work for both you and your husband.

Atlanta is a metro area where major traffic meltdowns (ridiculously long rush hour delays of 1, 2, 3 hours or more) are not an uncommon experience, particularly if there is some kind of freak traffic incident or uncooperative weather and/or during vacation periods like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break when major Atlanta-area Interstates (like I-85 and ESPECIALLY I-75) become seemingly impassable with severe congestion due to extremely-heavy vacation traffic passing through the area between points north (the Great Lakes, the Upper Midwest and the Mid Atlantic) and points south (Florida and the Gulf Coast).

Stating that Atlanta is just simply a bigger version of Memphis seems to downplay Atlanta's massive traffic congestion problems which are infinitely much worse than a Memphis and probably unlike anything that you might have ever experienced living in smaller metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

The traffic in Atlanta is a completely different animal than it is smaller metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

Dealing with and planning your life around traffic will be something in and of itself that will most likely be a massive adjustment for you after moving to Atlanta from smaller less-congested metro areas like Memphis and Little Rock.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:55 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,137,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not really. Memphis feels so old and dilapidated. Like it feels like it's a city that would be in the rust belt. Atlanta feels much more fresh, energetic, and it feels like what it's been for the last 3 decades, a booming southern metropolis that sees high job growth and development.

Memphis doesn't have that large educated yuppie presence that Atlanta has. It's a blue collar town. Atlanta is more white collar especially in the eastern half of the city, Midtown included.

The only thing Memphis has over Atlanta is BBQ and Beale Street.
How could anyone forget the mighty Mississippi?

Out of the two I would easily say that Memphis has more of a unique charm. More of an identity.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 AM

29,758 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post

Out of the two I would easily say that Memphis has more of a unique charm. More of an identity.
Unique identity, but it's not exactly "charming" IMO. Memphis has a lot of potential but it's just not performing very well right now; even Knoxville and Chattanooga have performed better than Memphis in recent years.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,927,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unique identity, but it's not exactly "charming" IMO. Memphis has a lot of potential but it's just not performing very well right now; even Knoxville and Chattanooga have performed better than Memphis in recent years.
I agree. Charming is not a word I would use for it. And it may have more "soul" or "character", but I honestly feel like people equate that to a poor black population a lot of the time. Atlanta's average income(city wise) is one of the highest in the country - around 147,000 a year, but it also has a stark income disparity...the highest in the country and you can see that. The Atlanta of the East and North feels MUCH different then the Atlanta of the South and West. Atlanta almost has no working class white population. Almost all of the whites living in the city limits are middle class/affluent. Memphis still has a working class white population.

Plenty of cities have a lot of potential in this country, but potential is just that. Atlanta managed to harness potential and boomed itself into an international player from a nobody in just 25-30 years. Memphis has continued to struggle for decades and shows no signs of improvement. Character/Soul means nothing if it doesn't have jobs or a great economy. Same can be said for cities like St Louis, Detroit, Baltimore...all have soul/character, but that's it.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 AM

10,008 posts, read 9,295,018 times
Quote:
What school did your child attend after Inman? I've been looking at the statistics of the Atlanta public schools online and I'm not seeing a good option for after Inman Middle School. The comments left on some of the cites about the Atlanta public school system state the public school system is declining and more families are switching to private schooling.
Grady, to which Inman students "graduate", has an excellent Honors program.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,422,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post

Well said, and I agree! I've lived in both places. Charming was one of the words that I also used to describe Memphis. It definitely attracted me. My wife and I would visit so much, we decided to move there.

There's nothing pretentious about Memphis. That said, it's a good looking and cultured place. However, it was the vibe that was most attractive to me! It's very southern and unapologetically so.

To answer the TS: IMO, no.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:19 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,927,592 times
There's nothing pretentious about Memphis because there's nothing it can be pretentious about. It's essentially a rust belt city in the south, a region that currently has many booming cities. Memphis is being left behind by cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nahsville, and Raleigh. It's stagnant, if not close to declining.

Cities that is actually charming and have a lot of character are Savannah and Charleston. Both are doing pretty well for themselves and cities I would love to continue visiting.

I'll be honest. I don't like Memphis. I have family there and I visited several times. It feels very poor and everyone feels like they're down on their luck. Call me elitist, but I just don't like cities where it feels like most people are in poverty or poor.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,422,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There's nothing pretentious about Memphis because there's nothing it can be pretentious about. It's essentially a rust belt city in the south, a region that currently has many booming cities. Memphis is being left behind by cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nahsville, and Raleigh. It's stagnant, if not close to declining.

Cities that is actually charming and have a lot of character are Savannah and Charleston. Both are doing pretty well for themselves and cities I would love to continue visiting.

I'll be honest. I don't like Memphis. I have family there and I visited several times. It feels very poor and everyone feels like they're down on their luck. Call me elitist, but I just don't like cities where it feels like most people are in poverty or poor.
You'll be honest, really? You've visited several times and "everyone feels like they're down on their luck." I lived there for five years and didn't meet everyone. That said, I did meet a lot of doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. Is the family that you've visited several times also down on their luck?

Visit places other than your family on their dilapidated block and perhaps you'd change your opinion.

Elitist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or