U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,662,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
The thread starter never did specify what THEY meant by "bigger Memphis."
Exactly, and a lot of the responses the OP is getting are from people who don't know what the OP means by the question, so all they are doing is basically responding with, "Of course not!!! Not even close!!! Atlanta blows Memphis out of the water in practically every category!!!" DUH!!! The OP knows that, which is why she said they are heavily considering leaving Memphis to move to Atlanta. But being from Memphis myself and knowing and having seen countless Memphians leave Memphis and move to Atlanta for the last 3 decades, I know exactly what the OP means. I addressed it, and a lot of people on here aren't going to like some of the things that I said, but I'm just answering the question the way the OP was trying to ask it and addressing her specific concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM

29,578 posts, read 27,042,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
MlYes, Atlanta IS like a bigger Memphis in a lot of ways, which is why I decided not to move there. A lot of Atlanta folks will turn their noses up and deny that, but it's true. I grew up in Memphis and for a good 15 year period from the late 90's to the early 2010's, I saw almost everybody who I graduated with or who I knew who was moving move to Atlanta. Even to this day, it seems like you can't go anywhere in Atlanta without seeing somebody you know or recognize from Memphis or North Mississippi. Personally, I didn't want that, so I decided several years ago to scratch Atlanta off my list.
Well Atlanta is a magnet for a pretty large swath of the Southeast in general, plus parts of the Midwest and Northeast. But Memphis doesn't have anywhere near the same broad appeal--almost everybody there is from there or the immediate region--so that's a major difference between both cities.

Quote:
Another thing that makes Atlanta feel a lot like a bigger Memphis is that even though it's more fast paced and has more amenities than Memphis, it's a predominately black city just like Memphis. Personally, I like a city that's more diverse than that. Thirty years of living in Memphis made me hungry for something different than the same old black/white dynamic with a predominately black population and all the tension, racial issues, and other problems that come along with that. And before anybody tries to attack me, I don't apologize for feeling that way, either; it is what it is.
There are lots of predominantly Black large/midsized cities out there, but unlike some others, Atlanta continued to grow, thrive, and prosper with a rapidly-growing/majority Black population and under Black leadership. It takes a lot more than just having a lot of Black people to make Atlanta "a bigger Memphis." The two cities have been on dramatically different trajectories for at least half a century now on almost every front and it shows.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
You'll be honest, really? You've visited several times and "everyone feels like they're down on their luck." I lived there for five years and didn't meet everyone. That said, I did meet a lot of doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. Is the family that you've visited several times also down on their luck?

Visit places other than your family on their dilapidated block and perhaps you'd change your opinion.

Elitist?
I wouldn't jump on him too bad, and I definitely don't think he is elitist; I lived there for 30 years, know the entire city and metro, and his description is pretty darn accurate. It doesn't take long to notice the things he mentioned about Memphis once you get there, especially coming from a bigger, cleaner, nicer, more progressive, faster city or metro that doesn't look and feel stuck in the 1960's like Memphis does. In that regard, heck yeah Atlanta blows Memphis out the water!!!!!!

Like I said, though, I know what the OP meant and in the regards she was referring to, those specific things DO make Atlanta feel like a bigger Memphis. But after those few things, that's where the comparison between Memphis and Atlanta ends...lol.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM

29,578 posts, read 27,042,748 times
Quote:
Exactly, and a lot of the responses the OP is getting are from people who don't know what the OP means by the question, so all they are doing is basically responding with, "Of course not!!! Not even close!!! Atlanta blows Memphis out of the water in practically every category!!!" DUH!!! The OP knows that, which is why she said they are heavily considering leaving Memphis to move to Atlanta. But being from Memphis myself and knowing and having seen countless Memphians leave Memphis and move to Atlanta for the last 3 decades, I know exactly what the OP means. I addressed it, and a lot of people on here aren't going to like some of the things that I said, but I'm just answering the question the way the OP was trying to ask it and addressing her specific concerns.
A lot of folks moving from Memphis to Atlanta doesn't make Atlanta "a bigger Memphis" though, since Atlanta is attracting lots of folks from many different cities. Atlanta is much more of a melting pot than Memphis.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,518,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A lot of folks moving from Memphis to Atlanta doesn't make Atlanta "a bigger Memphis" though, since Atlanta is attracting lots of folks from many different cities. Atlanta is much more of a melting pot than Memphis.
If anything it makes it the opposite of Memphis. Atlanta is a place people want to move to, Memphis is a place people want to leave.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
If anything it makes it the opposite of Memphis. Atlanta is a place people want to move to, Memphis is a place people want to leave.
I definitely agree with Mutiny on Atlanta being much more of a melting pot than Memphis and with you on the above statement. Once again, as a native Memphian, I was just answering the question in the manner that most people from Memphis mean when they ask or say Atlanta is a bigger version of Memphis. In the ways most Memphians usually mean, it is. But other than that, as I and countless others on here have already said, in no way does Memphis even BEGIN to compare to Atlanta. Atlanta's not really my cup of tea to live in personally, but if the choice was just between Memphis and Atlanta, then I would do what about 50,000 other Memphians have done over the past 3 decades and leave Memphis and get to Atlanta as quickly as I could...LOL!!!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,518,683 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with Mutiny on Atlanta being much more of a melting pot than Memphis and with you on the above statement. Once again, as a native Memphian, I was just answering the question in the manner that most people from Memphis mean when they ask or say Atlanta is a bigger version of Memphis. In the ways most Memphians usually mean, it is. But other than that, as I and countless others on here have already said, in no way does Memphis even BEGIN to compare to Atlanta. Atlanta's not really my cup of tea to live in personally, but if the choice was just between Memphis and Atlanta, then I would do what about 50,000 other Memphians have done over the past 3 decades and leave Memphis and get to Atlanta as quickly as I could...LOL!!!
I see what you mean. I just visited Memphis last winter. There are some nice areas, liked the river walk a lot and Memphis at least has one cohesive nightlife spot (Beale Street). Other than that, saw a lot of depressed areas (especially along 78 in city limits), lots of blue collar dirty jobs, etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I see what you mean. I just visited Memphis last winter. There are some nice areas, liked the river walk a lot and Memphis at least has one cohesive nightlife spot (Beale Street). Other than that, saw a lot of depressed areas (especially along 78 in city limits), lots of blue collar dirty jobs, etc.
Yep. And I wouldn't even advise any tourists to go to Beale Street once the sun goes down, because it has become too dangerous. Not much going for poor Memphis these days. It's definitely a stagnant city that's on the borderline of decline, which is sad, considering a lot of other cities around the South have been progressing and growing and improving their cities for the present and the future. It makes Memphis look and feel like a little backwards Old South town in the middle of rural Mississippi or rural Arkansas. I wish Memphis would have looked at the things that Atlanta was doing back in the 90's and 2000's and used it as a model, but Memphis city leaders and power brokers were too stubborn and WANTED to keep Memphis stuck in the past. Now Memphis is paying for it dearly.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,007,751 times
I wish. Maybe then I could get a quart of beer with my fried chicken at Gus's.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Character and soul doesn't put food on the table anor does it pay the bills there is a reason why Atlanta Houston Dallas and others have surpassed most of these soul cities.

People move where the jobs are. If more people were concern with the soul of a place then Memphis would be the size of Atlanta.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or