U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:33 AM

1,123 posts, read 774,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It doesn't make much sense to critisize the suburbs for lacking density then critisize every step they take to gain density. They can't go directly from being built the way they are now to being a dense, urban utopia. There are steps to be taken.
Well said... wish I could rep this. This sort of development is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 AM

5,293 posts, read 3,508,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Those shuttles get stuck in the same congestion people are trying to avoid and the walk is less than pleasant when crossing a freeway interchange with speeding traffic exiting onto the street without looking for pedestrians.
So, what's your solution? Perimeter Center isn't going anywhere, it's going to continue to grow.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM

808 posts, read 2,908,731 times
The Sandy Springs station is more than 2 blocks away...this development is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile west of the 400 on Abernathy road, the Sandy Springs station is probably 1/2 mile east of the 400 (closer if you walk).

The Mercedes HQ will be build next to the LDS Atlanta Temple near the corner of Abernathy and Barfield.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM

5,434 posts, read 3,834,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
So, what's your solution? Perimeter Center isn't going anywhere, it's going to continue to grow.
Stop building campus-type suburban office parks away from MARTA stations.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yup. There's no putting that cat back in the bag, and the same can be said for most of the other well-established suburbs. This is precisely the type of development needed to make them more viable, walkable and pleasant - especially ones like Sandy Springs, which lacks the historical center you see in places like Decatur and Marietta. I'm quite excited to see this happening.

I sometimes get the impression that some of the most vocal city boosters would like population and job base of the entire metro area to move to the urban core. That's just not going to happen. I'm very glad the urban core is experiencing a renewal, but part of the attraction of Atlanta is its multitude of neighborhoods and smaller cities.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:29 AM

10,539 posts, read 7,513,574 times
This development is 0.4 mi from Sandy Springs MARTA, its just across the 400 bridge. But it is the same distance as my condo on 6th and Peachtree in Midtown was from MARTA. A walkable distance for sure. They just need to make sure they do good improvements over to make Abernathy more inviting to walkers / bikers.

Of course this an example of how much design and good planning of the area effect walk-ability. Doubt many would consider this walk along busy roads and over 400 close to be as "easy" as my lovely morning walks to MARTA in Midtown even though they are the same distance. Not as good as State Farm's MARTA connectivity, but transit was still a factor.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,559,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Stop building campus-type suburban office parks away from MARTA stations.
Some companies have taken your advice, State Farm.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This development is 0.4 mi from Sandy Springs MARTA, its just across the 400 bridge. But it is the same distance as my condo on 6th and Peachtree in Midtown was from MARTA. A walkable distance for sure. They just need to make sure they do good improvements over to make Abernathy more inviting to walkers / bikers.

Of course this an example of how much design and good planning of the area effect walk-ability. Doubt many would consider this walk along busy roads and over 400 close to be as "easy" as my lovely morning walks to MARTA in Midtown even though they are the same distance. Not as good as State Farm's MARTA connectivity, but transit was still a factor.
We agree on something! How about that!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 AM

5,434 posts, read 3,834,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Some companies have taken your advice, State Farm.
And they're smart for doing so.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:25 AM

808 posts, read 2,908,731 times
I work near the corner of Abenrathy and Glenlake parkway. My walk from that corner to the entrance of the Sandy Springs MARTA station is more than 1/2 mile.

This development is on the north side of Abernathy. MB HQ will be on the south side. It is not next to the 400...it's further down the road.

[IMG]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/4974381/glenridge-hall-site*304xx727-485-0-4.jpg[/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or