Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,713,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Hey, what do you guys think or know of Grant Park? I know it's not the most pristine of the East Side neighborhoods, but I see a few pretty good buys. The neighbors seem pretty active in their community, including safety, neighborhood watch meetings, etc.
Grant Park is a great neighborhood and I would consider it pristine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM

445 posts, read 512,947 times
Quote:
Hey, what do you guys think or know of Grant Park? I know it's not the most pristine of the East Side neighborhoods, but I see a few pretty good buys. The neighbors seem pretty active in their community, including safety, neighborhood watch meetings, etc.
Grant Park is great, but I'm surprised that there's anything for sale $170K and under.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,595,894 times
Back in 1988 I bought my first house in Stone Mountain.
600 Block of Pepperwood Trail...
When we moved in it was a brand new n'hood with starter homes.
We paid 88k for it - It last sold in Feb 1998 for $100,000
Zillow shows its 'estimate' now at 125k...
3/2 with basement... the property next door (was tragically burnt to the ground a few years ago) is for sale for 3k...
on a culda sack... It was a nice place when we lived there - latterly backs up to Stone Mountain Park...

Old 04-13-2015, 01:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,391,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
Grant Park is great, but I'm surprised that there's anything for sale $170K and under.
I know, right! I haven't found many in my price range that are SFH, but there are a LOT of foreclosure opportunities. Oh, here's this little gem for $119k I'm sure won't last long! (You'll have to click on price "ascending" to see it; I think they automatically start high to low)

http://derrickduckworth.topproducerw...park-homes.asp

Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM

445 posts, read 512,947 times
Quote:
I know, right! I haven't found many in my price range that are SFH, but there are a LOT of foreclosure opportunities. Oh, here's this little gem for $119k I'm sure won't last long! (You'll have to click on price "ascending" to see it; I think they automatically start high to low)

http://derrickduckworth.topproducerw...park-homes.asp
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think that's actually in Grant Park. Looks like the neighborhood is Custer/McDonough/Guice. Those realty listings can be deceptive sometimes.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Grant Park is a great neighborhood and I would consider it pristine.
Really? Because on the "Affordable Intown Living" forum, someone stated that they would never suggest a single female living in either Grant Park or Kirkwood; another female poster said she'd lived in Grant Park for 7 years, and never felt "completely safe." So, I wasn't aware it was pristine. I mean, that's great if it is!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,809,449 times
Quote:
Really? Because on the "Affordable Intown Living" forum, someone stated that they would never suggest a single female living in either Grant Park or Kirkwood; another female poster said she'd lived in Grant Park for 7 years, and never felt "completely safe." So, I wasn't aware it was pristine. I mean, that's great if it is!
I'd consider it "pristine". I walk the 3/4 a mile to Grant Park from my place often. Sometimes at night and feel perfectly safe. But it feeling safe depends on the person. I'd be much more concerned for my safety walking next to a six lane road in the exurbs, personally.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,610,158 times
Quote:
Grant Park is a terrific neighborhood and if you can find a deal there, it's very much worth serious consideration.

Take a hard look at Ormewood Park, because a renovated 2/1 near me went for $172k just a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Pemgin; 04-13-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 04:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,714,949 times
My wife and I have lived in Grant Park for over 3 years now, and we wouldn't choose to live in any other neighborhood. Like you said, the neighbors are all very friendly and active in the neighborhood, and everybody looks out for one another. We have lots of festivals in the park, and a farmers market every weekend. We have MARTA bus and rail access, and can walk to a number of restaurants and bars. As with any other intown (and many suburban, for that matter), petty crime does happen, but if you take proper urban living precautions, you will likely not have a problem. We walk around all the time, at all times of the day and even late at night, and we have never had a problem. My wife walks the dog by herself and has never stated that she feels unsafe. This is a great neighborhood, and if you can find a deal in your price range, go for it!

And like others have said, watch out with what you are defining as Grant Park. Those houses in the $100s are not in Grant Park. Grant Park is bordered by Memorial on the north, Hill St on the west, and the Beltline on the east and south (the railroad tracks). You'll be hard pressed to find a house/townhouse in the neighborhood for less than $250 now a days, but I have seen small condos on Cherokee/Woodward and on Park Ave in the mid-$100s recently, so keep your eye out for those smaller places! Aside from that, as others have suggested, Ormewood Park is also a great neighborhood and tends to be a bit cheaper than Grant Park.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks you guys, your info has been invaluable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta