U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM

6,218 posts, read 5,040,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AT&T said this morning that it will offer far faster “gigabit” home Internet speeds in limited parts of metro Atlanta starting today. Residential and small business customers in certain parts of the cities of Atlanta, Decatur, Sandy Springs and Newnan will be eligible to sign up for the service, the company said at a press conference Monday morning.

But the AT&T price — $120 a month per month for Internet only service — is significantly higher than the $70 or so range that rival Google has indicated it will offer for similar service in some parts of metro Atlanta. The gigabit-per-second speeds are 100 times faster than what the average U.S. home has.

Comcast, the metro area’s dominant cable TV provider, recently announced local plans for two gigabit-per-second speeds — twice as fast as that pledged by either Google or AT&T locally. Comcast is expected to roll out its service next month.
AT&T aims to be first to roll out gigabit home speeds in Atlanta | www.ajc.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,794,924 times
Around two weeks ago, I switched from Comcast to Uverse for internet. I have had both before but Uverse was not in the area when I moved. Uverse/AT&T said they were planning to update their lines and connectivity speed in the very near future, but I'd be grandfathered in for those improvements with the current rates.

I have also noticed Comcast commercials saying they are going to be the fastest thing running in town.

I think all of them seem to be stepping up their game for fear of how successful Google internet may be once it is implemented in the area.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,584,109 times
Yep, just the announcement of competition was all it took for both Comcast and AT&T to say they'll be improving their level of service. I don't see how it's so hard for some people to understand why Google Fiber is significant.

I haven't found a single area of the city where it's actually available, though, even though AT&T said it launched Monday. I checked several Uverse neighborhoods and all of them said gigabit was unavailable.

Last edited by magnetar; 04-14-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,338,329 times
AT&T is putting Uverse in our neighborhood- they haven't started digging, but spray paint and flag markers are everywhere....

Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 AM

8,259 posts, read 10,179,757 times
I love Uverse, the TV is much better than cable.

But the internet isn't nearly as good. Not sure if it's the actual speed of the line, or if AT&T just doesn't use as good equipment as Comcast, but my Roku can't always get the best video. Sometimes, it craps out entirely.

Some people say they do DNS filtering. I don't know, but I do know that I like competition because it tends to force companies to stop all that garbage.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,794,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I love Uverse, the TV is much better than cable.

But the internet isn't nearly as good. Not sure if it's the actual speed of the line, or if AT&T just doesn't use as good equipment as Comcast, but my Roku can't always get the best video. Sometimes, it craps out entirely.

Some people say they do DNS filtering. I don't know, but I do know that I like competition because it tends to force companies to stop all that garbage.

I kind of liked the Uverse tv best of all. I'm not the biggest fan of a bundle, but now every service is separate; they are not equal.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,598,132 times
I know AT&T needs to bring U-Verse to all of the City of Atlanta first since they are so sorry at carrying out the full roll out of the service to the city proper. It's so bizarre how some of my friends whom reside and are property owners intown are unable to access U-Verse yet so many areas in the suburban areas. It's embarrassing and AT&T needs to do better by Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or