U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM

104 posts, read 104,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
No to Clarkston, though they are going to struggle to find affordable housing in a nice area on public transportation on that price point.

Why Atlanta? What kind of employment will they have?
lastminutemom, So there is at least a controversy with Clarkston being the choice. When I found out about the $850 cap for rent I was concerned. Maybe one or even two people could find something in that range but I know in the past, landlords did not want 5 people jammed into their 1 or 2 bedroom places. (Don't think I can blame them). They may have to accept some degree of crime but I don't think they want to be in actual danger of violence or any level really unacceptable. Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Because Clarkston is for refugees, not people who have $850 per month to spend on rent.

It's a retail desert with access to pretty much nothing that makes this country great and it's full of predators who love to take advantage of immigrants with ridiculous prices on low quality merchandise and rents that while maybe low, are still way too high for what is actually offered.

That's what I think, is that what you were thinking too, lastminutemom?

I would suggest an area like the Buford Highway corridor in Chamblee over Clarkston, or something similar. If mass transit isn't absolutely required, I think they could also find something near Jimmy Carter near Norcross. Lots of immigrants in relatively cheap housing between Jimmy Carter and Indian Trail on both sides of I-85 with better access to decent retail and fewer con artists than Clarkston.
ATLtjl, wow, sounds like we're on the border, in a gray area -- trying to find a place decent enough, yet avoiding the problems of a poverty area. hmmm. I know I need to google the places mentioned and look on a map but what is Jimmy Carter? Is it a road or area? I've heard of Buford Highway from when I was in Marietta. I assume the end I had been on is nice but maybe it's a long road that takes you through diverse neighborhoods. Thanks for your ideas.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don't think they have the same definition of nice area as you do. I doubt there looking for a Sandy Springs or East Cobb, just something decent. There are many nice places in Atlanta where you won't break the bank. You should start with the Buford Highway area. I'll post some specific apartments later when I have more time.
Demonta4, I dont even know if this family has as much tolerance for adversity as average. I really dont know how much crime is too much crime and this bothers me because I dont want to be the reason they get into trouble because of where they live. This is what makes this endeavor so difficult (and sensitive I might add). I was fairly sure this would be a challenge for me as well as the family, but I'm trying to see it more as an adventure. Thanks for your reply and to offer to do the extra work to post the apartments.

As for why Atlanta, I really don't know. I know there are some East Indians in Atlanta and I'm thinking there is probably an Indian community somewhere in the area. You guys on here would know. However, I was told the Bangladeshis don't consider themselves to be Indian, even though this family happens to be Hindu and their ancestors came from Bengal in India. I'm just working with the info I'm given and working my way with it and curious to see where it takes me. Also I am dealing with the language barrier but if it gets too bad, I can contact another member of the family who has is very fluent in English.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I was not aware of the con artists over there. The people I know who have lived there (Mixed families - not refugees) have really enjoyed it, and enjoyed the diversity. But they also worked for a church there that provides support for the refugee community, so I suppose their view is skewed favorably.
Tryska,subcultures can really confuse such an issue. Same with anecdotal situations. It could be that certain areas within that specific town/area are okay and some aren't. I remember when I was on city-data asking about Louisiana for my own family and someone said, this end of such and such a street is okay and the other end is bad. So it's a judgment call and I just need to realize the family and I need to just do the best we can. And...specifics matter. Thanks again for following up with more replies. thanks to everyone else hanging in there with me too.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I spent some time recently with students from Freedom Middle and Clarkston High School. It would not be my choice to send children there. The concentration of poverty and other issues is simply to great.

The work question is really important.

Buford Highway would be a better choice -- but the the vast majority of students in the public schools there will be Hispanic, and that may make getting their children's needs met hard. Plus DCSS continually messes with those schools and not in a good way.
lastminutemom, I think it may depend on how bad their current living situation is. I don't know much about it but the wife "is not doing well", according to her brother, whose English is rather weak. Sounds like clarkston may be a last resort. I'm thinking that way -- for now. I just want to not leave a stone unturned. I have no idea how meeting Hispanic needs would impact the needs of this family. Also , what is DCSS? Is this Decatur School District? As for work I realized a little late that one of the spouses wants to try to work at a Walmart. I am not even sure of which spouse. :/ I ask questions as needed. I am wondering myself what the husband does, as my friend told me the wife is "still a housewife" and "not doing well (in PA) because they need cheaper housing and a place for poorer, "uncultured" (my friend's word) people. I feel like I'm an adventurer working my way throught the brush but it's okay. Thanks for your replies.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
lastminutemom, So there is at least a controversy with Clarkston being the choice. When I found out about the $850 cap for rent I was concerned. Maybe one or even two people could find something in that range but I know in the past, landlords did not want 5 people jammed into their 1 or 2 bedroom places. (Don't think I can blame them). They may have to accept some degree of crime but I don't think they want to be in actual danger of violence or any level really unacceptable. Thanks for your reply.
Quote:
The other question is how old the kids are and what sex they are.

Is it possible to put all the kids together in a room and get away with a 2-bedroom rental, or do they really need a minimum of 3?

The other question is are they refugees? If so, they can get special help from the U.S. government, at least for a certain period.
ATLTJL, I know the oldest child is a 10 year old girl. I have no idea about the others but I will ask. I did address the issue of number of rooms needed and in PA, historically, landlords discourage crowding in their places. I remember when mom and I were looking for an apartment in Gettysburg and the landlords told me that studios and even small one-bedrooms units were "too small" for us. But I realize it may be different there and now. I pretty much told them I would start the search with what they wanted to convey and we would expand in every way needed as I research. Also, I'm wondering how important it is to visit the specific area before moving there. The problem is that they may not be able to afford a visit. This choice may take some time so I need to tell them that. Thanks for all your replies and I will get children's ages and how many bedrooms they will take as a minimum but I assume they will put all 3 in one room. I will try to call the husband tomorrow and let him know what's going on so far.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The other question is how old the kids are and what sex they are.

Is it possible to put all the kids together in a room and get away with a 2-bedroom rental, or do they really need a minimum of 3?

The other question is are they refugees? If so, they can get special help from the U.S. government, at least for a certain period.

ATL...no they are not refugees. I know a little about the immigration process via family. As far as I know the sponsoring person(s) are responsible for the support of the new immigrants for 2 years after arrival in the USA. I didn't ask and I wasn't told about what's actually happening and how much pressure is on this nuclear family to self-support. It does not seem or feel to me like anything close to a refugee situation. I was told a family member immigrated to the USA in the 1980's. It seems like sometime after that, this person sponsored other family members, etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,135,360 times
My goodness WAOrganicFarmWannabe,

I know you are trying to help them but you don't know much about their family structure (age/sex of their kids), what type of employment they need, why they want to move to Atlanta, etc.

It seems like doing a more thorough review of their needs would really allow you to ask the pertinent questions to best help this family. I myself cannot understand why a family of five would want to move all the way across the country with such a limited budget and no jobs (one spouse is a housewife and the other wants to get a job at Walmart upon arrival so it seems neither has a job currently). This is a really risky move and $850 for 5 people is going to be pushing it somewhat since, as indicated, most places that are decent are not going to allow that many people to live in a smaller place (which is what they are going to get for the $850).

I wonder if another metro within Georgia might be a better match - maybe an area that is a bit more rural (e.g., Macon metro, Augusta metro, Rome area). There are Walmarts in all of these places and yet the cost of living may be a bit lower than what you'll find in Atlanta.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,779,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
Demonta4, I dont even know if this family has as much tolerance for adversity as average. I really dont know how much crime is too much crime and this bothers me because I dont want to be the reason they get into trouble because of where they live. This is what makes this endeavor so difficult (and sensitive I might add). I was fairly sure this would be a challenge for me as well as the family, but I'm trying to see it more as an adventure. Thanks for your reply and to offer to do the extra work to post the apartments.

As for why Atlanta, I really don't know. I know there are some East Indians in Atlanta and I'm thinking there is probably an Indian community somewhere in the area. You guys on here would know. However, I was told the Bangladeshis don't consider themselves to be Indian, even though this family happens to be Hindu and their ancestors came from Bengal in India. I'm just working with the info I'm given and working my way with it and curious to see where it takes me. Also I am dealing with the language barrier but if it gets too bad, I can contact another member of the family who has is very fluent in English.

Another option is apartments around DeKalb Industrial Blvd and Scott Boulevard (around DeKalb Farmers Market, and search out Patel Borthers grocery store) - I am not sure if there is a Wal-Mart near by, but there are plenty of apartment complexes and plenty of newly arrived South Asians.

As far as Clarkston - I really don't think it is about high Crime, so much as concentrated immigrant poverty that people are getting at (and apparently con artists). I took a look at their crime mapping statistics, and while there is crime - they seem to have less of it that surrounding areas, and their own police force.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,962,947 times
Atlanta like any other major cities doesn't have a lot of safe areas that are also affordable. The public tranportation is also not very expansive. If the family in question finds a safe area at $850 a month, it would be further out where there's no transit.

Atlanta isn't as cheap as it's made out to be. Good safe areas in Atlanta with good schools are expensive. The better areas with access to transit are also expensive. And the metro Atlanta area does have a lot of crime, the suburbs included.

I personally don't recommend the Atlanta area for low-income families without a car unlesss they will be getting a lot of support from the Bangladeshi/Desi community or they have the education and skill set that would enable them to get a job that increases their income exponetially after arriving.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-16-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or