U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:49 PM

104 posts, read 104,040 times

Advertisements

I'm starting out by updating everyone about what's been going on since I last posted. I tried to call the husband last night as he requested but no one answered the phone. I called again just before I got on here and got voicemail again. Actually, I'm not that surprised, since I have been dealing with foreign people since 2007 and this sort of thing is pretty common. Since I am unemployed long term due to disabilities and other obstacles, I "freelance", helping people with their international issues. It must be their problems with the language and other causes of stress. I need to talk with my friend in Bangladesh, who is the brother of the wife and try to crack through this lack of communication.

Anyway, I did a little searching, mostly on virtualtourist.com looking for safe areas in Atlanta. Clarkston was not mentioned, but here is what people there said...
BAD: The worst by far is an area called The Bluff. (In Zone 1, which surprised me since 3 and 4 are supposed to be the worst),
Georgia Tech area, Kirkwood, E. Decatur, Bankhead, Braves Stadium area, Georgia Dome area, Downtown, 5-points Marta Station, Peachtree St. near Marta 5-points, some parts of Stone Mountain, Atlanta Medical Center area, Zones 3 and 4, Midtown, especially close to Ponce-de-Leone Ave., South Fulton, Metropolitan Parkway, University Ave., Clayton, Henry, S. Dekalb, Airport area, S. of Grant Park, Pittsburgh, W. of the GA World Congress Center. Generally S. and W. of Atlanta are not good, N. and E. of Atlanta generally good, S of I-20 but some areas of Stone Mountain in that section are okay. College Park was the wild card, with one person saying it's bad but another saying it is now okay. Same with Atlantic Station, with one person saying it's bad and another okay.

I found a site with "Best areas in Atlanta" or something like that, with a countdown of best to the worst and Clarkston was in that list. So that seems to be uncertain also.

OKAY:
Avondale area of Decatur, Peachtree City (I know of this place from when I was in Marietta and I think the prices are high), Dunwoody, W. around 285, Gwinnett, Snellville, Centerville, Walton, Monroe, Smyrna, Rockdale, Kennesaw (talked about very highly but far from the city), Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell, Suwanee, Powder Springs was said to be cheap with low crime, E. Metro (whatever that is), Capital View, N. Druid Hills, Inman Park, Candler Park, Grant Park (as I see above, South of there is not good), parts of E.point, Norcross (possible BD community), Chamblee (possible BD community).

I realize many of these areas will be too expensive. Hopefully someone can agree or disagree with the above areas and fine tune them for cost of living so I can fine tune my records. I know some areas are okay to ride through but don't break down there. Same with my area of Philadelphia. Neighborhoods can change within 2 or 3 blocks.

I also googled rental agents in Atlanta. I found a few who have supposedly had BD clients. One had very good reviews, but that agent was not actually BD herself, like the others, but I have not checked on any of those yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
My goodness WAOrganicFarmWannabe,

I know you are trying to help them but you don't know much about their family structure (age/sex of their kids), what type of employment they need, why they want to move to Atlanta, etc.

It seems like doing a more thorough review of their needs would really allow you to ask the pertinent questions to best help this family. I myself cannot understand why a family of five would want to move all the way across the country with such a limited budget and no jobs (one spouse is a housewife and the other wants to get a job at Walmart upon arrival so it seems neither has a job currently). This is a really risky move and $850 for 5 people is going to be pushing it somewhat since, as indicated, most places that are decent are not going to allow that many people to live in a smaller place (which is what they are going to get for the $850).

I wonder if another metro within Georgia might be a better match - maybe an area that is a bit more rural (e.g., Macon metro, Augusta metro, Rome area). There are Walmarts in all of these places and yet the cost of living may be a bit lower than what you'll find in Atlanta.
LovelySummer, You're right. Everyone I have deal with on the family's end has limited English and I think lots of stress. It's hard to wade through just a few words sometimes. I know most people wouldn't get involved in this, at least not as quickly as I would. I guess I can deal with it because I have lots of time on my hands right now. I was thinking first to find some areas that are relatively safe with a low cost of living, then find a rental agent and check on the apartments/houses and the specifics related to that home. Now, if you read my last post, you will see this is so far not going smoothly for me. However, I really am known to be very patient and with so much time on my hands, I don't mind because I have been enchanted with South Asia generally. This sort of thing seems to be a way for me to become involved with the area and the people. Actually I am only assuming the husband plans to work at Walmart. I guess working there full time makes $850/mo. possible. Also I assume the wife wants to earn also. (Brother told me she is "still a housewife".) I am also hoping they will take a 2-bedroom. I think it's too much to ask if they won't but that may take an exceptionally flexible and tolerant landlord. Before we can help this family any more, they must give me more information. I see that now. I did come across something about Carson, NV being good for immigrants. The family is asking for Atlanta, so that's what I've been focusing on. I am just so glad I am getting a lot of information because this helps them know what may be possible and what may not be. They may be seeing their plans through rose-colored glasses. If they are willing to go to Atlanta from PA, maybe they can go even farther. Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Another option is apartments around DeKalb Industrial Blvd and Scott Boulevard (around DeKalb Farmers Market, and search out Patel Borthers grocery store) - I am not sure if there is a Wal-Mart near by, but there are plenty of apartment complexes and plenty of newly arrived South Asians.

As far as Clarkston - I really don't think it is about high Crime, so much as concentrated immigrant poverty that people are getting at (and apparently con artists). I took a look at their crime mapping statistics, and while there is crime - they seem to have less of it that surrounding areas, and their own police force.
Tryska, thanks for checking the crime stats. It looks like we have a few good possiblilities and three front-runner areas so far -- Clarkston, Norcross and Chamblee. I will probably remember those three names for a long time.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta like any other major cities doesn't have a lot of safe areas that are also affordable. The public tranportation is also not very expansive. If the family in question finds a safe area at $850 a month, it would be further out where there's no transit.

Atlanta isn't as cheap as it's made out to be. Good safe areas in Atlanta with good schools are expensive. The better areas with access to transit are also expensive. And the metro Atlanta area does have a lot of crime, the suburbs included.

I personally don't recommend the Atlanta area for low-income families without a car unlesss they will be getting a lot of support from the Bangladeshi/Desi community or they have the education and skill set that would enable them to get a job that increases their income exponetially after arriving.
Atlanta_BD, I think part of helping them is to tell them what everyone has said, especially about their fit with Atlanta -- the good, bad, ugly, etc. Thank you for your reply.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
I'm starting out by updating everyone about what's been going on since I last posted. I tried to call the husband last night as he requested but no one answered the phone. I called again just before I got on here and got voicemail again. Actually, I'm not that surprised, since I have been dealing with foreign people since 2007 and this sort of thing is pretty common. Since I am unemployed long term due to disabilities and other obstacles, I "freelance", helping people with their international issues. It must be their problems with the language and other causes of stress. I need to talk with my friend in Bangladesh, who is the brother of the wife and try to crack through this lack of communication.

Anyway, I did a little searching, mostly on virtualtourist.com looking for safe areas in Atlanta. Clarkston was not mentioned, but here is what people there said...
BAD: The worst by far is an area called The Bluff. (In Zone 1, which surprised me since 3 and 4 are supposed to be the worst),
Georgia Tech area, Kirkwood, E. Decatur, Bankhead, Braves Stadium area, Georgia Dome area, Downtown, 5-points Marta Station, Peachtree St. near Marta 5-points, some parts of Stone Mountain, Atlanta Medical Center area, Zones 3 and 4, Midtown, especially close to Ponce-de-Leone Ave., South Fulton, Metropolitan Parkway, University Ave., Clayton, Henry, S. Dekalb, Airport area, S. of Grant Park, Pittsburgh, W. of the GA World Congress Center. Generally S. and W. of Atlanta are not good, N. and E. of Atlanta generally good, S of I-20 but some areas of Stone Mountain in that section are okay. College Park was the wild card, with one person saying it's bad but another saying it is now okay. Same with Atlantic Station, with one person saying it's bad and another okay.

I found a site with "Best areas in Atlanta" or something like that, with a countdown of best to the worst and Clarkston was in that list. So that seems to be uncertain also.

OKAY:
Avondale area of Decatur, Peachtree City (I know of this place from when I was in Marietta and I think the prices are high), Dunwoody, W. around 285, Gwinnett, Snellville, Centerville, Walton, Monroe, Smyrna, Rockdale, Kennesaw (talked about very highly but far from the city), Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell, Suwanee, Powder Springs was said to be cheap with low crime, E. Metro (whatever that is), Capital View, N. Druid Hills, Inman Park, Candler Park, Grant Park (as I see above, South of there is not good), parts of E.point, Norcross (possible BD community), Chamblee (possible BD community).

I realize many of these areas will be too expensive. Hopefully someone can agree or disagree with the above areas and fine tune them for cost of living so I can fine tune my records. I know some areas are okay to ride through but don't break down there. Same with my area of Philadelphia. Neighborhoods can change within 2 or 3 blocks.

I also googled rental agents in Atlanta. I found a few who have supposedly had BD clients. One had very good reviews, but that agent was not actually BD herself, like the others, but I have not checked on any of those yet.

Wow, this situation is overwhelming me as I read your posts! E. Metro (or East Atlanta) includes a lot of the areas you have named: Grant Park, Candler Park, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward (O4W) East Lake, East Atlanta Village, etc. These areas used to be run down several years ago, and then went through the gentrifying process. Those are now some of the HOTTEST in town neighborhoods in Atlanta. For instance, in Grant Park houses average starting at about $250k. Those neighborhoods are kinda hip, edgy, and provide an urban neighborhood with a slightly gritty feel. The people in those neighborhoods are very active with their neighborhood watch, activities, festivals, and such. You have everything from the hyper educated do gooders, to the artsy liberals, the granolas, retirees, and young couples with kids. I'm a nurse, and have been house shopping in East Atlanta; I have realized that unless I'm willing go with one of the more transitional areas in East Atlanta, or settle for a condo, I've almost been priced out of that area. So, there you go.

Capital view is....OKAY right now, but I wouldn't suggest it. (It'll be a great investment for someone now that wants to buy while prices are still low; one day it will be in high demand, it's just a matter of time.) It's on the Westside of town, and the in town Westside is currently going through the gentrifying the East Side went through not too long ago. The Westside was for the most part predominately African-American, and now with the gentrifying, it's becoming more diverse. The rest of the "Okay" neighborhoods you listed are pretty good. Except I think you mentioned Midtown as not being good, when in fact it's WHITE HOT, and one of the most expensive, walkable, hip and cool places that a lot of Atlantans want to live, but can't afford it. Ponce de Leon is sketchy in sections, but can be very expensive in others. You're right about The Bluff; don't touch that area, not even in the day time. There was a documentary done about the massive drug and homicide activity over there, and even I'm scared.

The other areas you have in your Okay list are either too far from Atlanta proper and transit, or much too expensive.

I will continue to watch this thread, and if I have any info that can help, I'll pass it along to you. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2015, 04:46 PM

Default Nothing new about the family yet -- Sorry

I still have not heard from either the brother in Bangladesh or the PA family. If anyone by any chance knows a lot about Pennsylvania (I don't know that much for someone who has lived mostly here -- about 50 years), according to a change on their skype profile, their current area is Port Matilda, PA. Maybe that can give someone an idea of what a newly arrived, lower income Asian family has been going through. They arrived in the USA in October and already the wife is "not doing well" according to her brother.

I don't know if there has been a problem with this family in the last few days or what. All I can say in their defense is that I have found that people in South Asia live with lots of stress that may be different from the type most of us have who have been here for a while and maybe with the language barrier they are somewhat "rattled". I assume newly arrived Asians are going through something similar as well as the expected culture shock. I know it requires a lot of patience to deal with what we have been on this thread so I thank everyone for your time, effort and I can feel everyone's concern. At this point I will wait for someone on that end to contact me. I will try to resurrect this thread if and when I find out more. I think I now have a lot to work with. When I began this thread, I knew Atlanta City was generally high crime, Marietta is basically expensive, but little more.

No2Monsanto, thank you for your reply and concern also.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Wow, this situation is overwhelming me as I read your posts! E. Metro (or East Atlanta) includes a lot of the areas you have named: Grant Park, Candler Park, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward (O4W) East Lake, East Atlanta Village, etc. These areas used to be run down several years ago, and then went through the gentrifying process. Those are now some of the HOTTEST in town neighborhoods in Atlanta. For instance, in Grant Park houses average starting at about $250k. Those neighborhoods are kinda hip, edgy, and provide an urban neighborhood with a slightly gritty feel. The people in those neighborhoods are very active with their neighborhood watch, activities, festivals, and such. You have everything from the hyper educated do gooders, to the artsy liberals, the granolas, retirees, and young couples with kids. I'm a nurse, and have been house shopping in East Atlanta; I have realized that unless I'm willing go with one of the more transitional areas in East Atlanta, or settle for a condo, I've almost been priced out of that area. So, there you go.

Capital view is....OKAY right now, but I wouldn't suggest it. (It'll be a great investment for someone now that wants to buy while prices are still low; one day it will be in high demand, it's just a matter of time.) It's on the Westside of town, and the in town Westside is currently going through the gentrifying the East Side went through not too long ago. The Westside was for the most part predominately African-American, and now with the gentrifying, it's becoming more diverse. The rest of the "Okay" neighborhoods you listed are pretty good. Except I think you mentioned Midtown as not being good, when in fact it's WHITE HOT, and one of the most expensive, walkable, hip and cool places that a lot of Atlantans want to live, but can't afford it. Ponce de Leon is sketchy in sections, but can be very expensive in others. You're right about The Bluff; don't touch that area, not even in the day time. There was a documentary done about the massive drug and homicide activity over there, and even I'm scared.

The other areas you have in your Okay list are either too far from Atlanta proper and transit, or much too expensive.

I will continue to watch this thread, and if I have any info that can help, I'll pass it along to you. Good Luck!

No2Monsanto, I hope you find a suitable home in Atlanta also. I have been in Marietta, Roswell and rode around Smyrna and was at the lake at Stone Mountain. Those particular areas seemed nice. I found the suburbs to be more modern, updated and pleasant than many of the Philadelphia suburbs. It takes a lot of time to find a place but I think if you persist it will happen, especially if you're not low income and being a nurse....that's really good.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 PM

1,937 posts, read 2,214,745 times
See if you can convince them to stay in Pennsylvania, specifically the southwestern corner in the Uniontown, PA area. They can rent a big house for that price. Not much culture but it's the type of rural area they can afford.
I dont see the ATL metro working for them unless they raise the amount they can spend on housing

Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,480 times
I have lived in both PA, and GA, as well as a bunch of other places. I came here from England in 1978. It was a shocking experience for me for the first 6 years. I cried all the time, and was very lonely/homesick. I am married to a retired US Marine, and we traveled all over for 6 years so I never had friends or stayed long enough in one place to make friends. I do know that "not doing well" means "depressed" mostly, with "homesickness" thrown in for good measure, so you can basically say that the wife hates it here due to severe culture shock. When we lived in PA (a place called Bryn-Athyn) I did not like the winters or how expensive our living accommodations were. When we lived in Georgia (we chose Smyrna due to the military air force base up the road) I actually liked the area. My husband had relatives living in Clarkston (before the white flight of the 90's) and it was really beautiful back then. It was a quick run to Atlanta Airport, taking I-85/I-20 and many people living in the area either worked for the HUGE Ford Motor car factory/plant in Chamblee or for Eastern Airlines. Well, Ford closed it's plant, and Eastern went bankrupt and that was the beginning of the end for white middle class workers in that area. People sold cheap to avoid foreclosure, and moved over to Marietta, or Gwinnette which was waaaay out in the boondocks in those days...LOL. My husband's family tried to stay in Clarkston, but their house was broken into several times, and they finally decided to move away in 1994 (they chose Newnan) We stayed in Smyrna until 1998 (the horrific Atlanta traffic on I-75 finally got the better of us) and we moved 65 miles northeast to a town called Athens (home to the University of Georgia) and have been there ever since which says a lot. If I could give these Bangladesh folks some advice, I would say to them, go to the car auction in Snelville, and get a cheap car (I got a good one for my daughter last November for $900) then go outside the Metro Atlanta area and look for a smaller town to live. You can still get a three bedroom apt for $850 in areas like Warner Robins, Macon, Athens, Monroe, Winder, Commerce, Madison, and Gainesville areas. They may be a tad rural, but they all have a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Starbucks, and even local shopping Malls. The schools are way better for their children, and if they are willing to work hard and assimilate then all their dreams will come true.

Last edited by ukusa; 05-05-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or