U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:00 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I don't have to agree with someone to support their right to express their opinion.
*yawn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:07 PM

22,790 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I hope this thread is not another attempt to shame poor people for being poor--something that seems to have become a national pastime in recent years. And let's stop with the cherry-picked examples of people who commit welfare fraud already. Some people commit insurance fraud; does that mean we should get rid of insurance?
I don't follow the reasoning here. The requirements set forth in Maine for an able-bodied person to collect public assistance seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,264,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't follow the reasoning here. The requirements set forth in Maine for an able-bodied person to collect public assistance seem perfectly reasonable to me.
Sure they might, if you've never been at the mercy of other people for food.

Let me ask you this: How many SNAP recipients between the ages of 18-65 have at least one job?

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,233,812 times
Quote:
The problem with the whole thing is that it is shaming poor people for being poor, again. Wealthy people and corporations get huge handouts from taxpayers that they really don't need (trickle down, anybody?), and corporate welfare hasn't done us any good. That said, they aren't shamed through the media and policy - rather corporate welfare (i.e.: welfare for the rich) is portrayed as a good thing that will help the nation as a whole. However, the people who need assistance most in this country are shamed for getting it. Public thought is that they don't work hard, whereas most of them are working multiple jobs that aren't paying a living wage. As a country, we shame our neediest with terms like "welfare queen", placing a negative connotation on groups of people who work just as hard or harder than any middle class family to raise their children. Maine's policy is basically saying publicly, without any substantive evidence, that those on welfare are scamming the system and don't deserve the help. It's not a fix to a broken system, rather it's just further spreading hate and erroneous information to the ill informed public.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:33 AM

22,790 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Shaming? If anything, I might feel a little better about myself if I were making an actual contribution for my handout. But then I guess that's just me.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,233,812 times
Quote:
Shaming? If anything, I might feel a little better about myself if I were making an actual contribution for my handout. But then I guess that's just me.
Again, it is an opinion - one that is widely spread by media and policy - not a fact, that those on welfare do not contribute anything for a "handout". That one sentence is exactly what is wrong with rhetoric in this country, and it is exhibit A for shaming poor people.

"I might feel better about myself" - should somebody feel bad about themselves for being poor?

"If I were making an actual contribution" - do poor people contribute nothing to society, just because they are poor? Who is serving you at restaurants? Who is taking your bags up to your hotel room? Who is cleaning your house, hotel room, pool, etc.? Who is cleaning your streets, cleaning your place of business, etc etc etc. I'd say that's a pretty big contribution to keep middle and upper class lifestyles nice while working for dirt money.

"Handout" - People work their a** off at 1-3 full or part-time jobs for little pay and need help, is that truly a handout? Society doesn't seem to notice them, except for when they do something wrong, like getting less in the way of handouts than many wealthier people do.

"But then I guess that's just me" - no poor people feel the same way you do. They all think they are life failures, and think they should just kick back and relax in their shacks while the government feeds their kids. You know, EVERYBODY thinks they do it anyway, so why not?

Point is, your one single sentence, broken down into sections, shows the shaming that is ongoing in this country. While you may not have consciously meant it to be taken negatively (I truly believe you didn't), that rhetoric is exactly what shaming is, and what the general American public has started to see as normal in our everyday life and policy decisions. I personally know people working 60-80 hours a week just to keep food on the table, working paycheck to paycheck. Not everybody has the opportunity to go to college, find a better job, or find a way to make more money. It's not easy to do, there are many barriers in place. I wouldn't consider those people, who are very poor, undeserving of assistance. In the end, it is that assistance that provides a leg up and can help them to achieve more than the bare minimum needed to survive.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 AM

1,648 posts, read 1,733,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Sure they might, if you've never been at the mercy of other people for food.

Let me ask you this: How many SNAP recipients between the ages of 18-65 have at least one job?
Wouldn't this not apply to people who have jobs? They are supposed to either work part-time, participate in vocational training, or volunteer. I don't see why doing one of those is too much to ask.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 AM

1,648 posts, read 1,733,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Again, it is an opinion - one that is widely spread by media and policy - not a fact, that those on welfare do not contribute anything for a "handout".

"Handout" - People work their a** off at 1-3 full or part-time jobs for little pay and need help, is that truly a handout?

People who have jobs won't be affected. It is being suggested that they should work part-time, participate in vocational training, or volunteer. I think we should do more for the mentally I'll and the disabled. Other than that, I don't see the issue with asking someone to do something for the assistance they receive.

There seems to be some confusion over what a handout is. Let's consult a dictionary;

Handout--something given free to a needy person or organization.

Food stamps are a handout. Many people need a handout. Quite a few are just irresponsible.

Last edited by joey86; 04-16-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 02:55 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,264,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Wouldn't this not apply to people who have jobs? They are supposed to either work part-time, participate in vocational training, or volunteer. I don't see why doing one of those is too much to ask.
Because many of them already have jobs! And yet they do not get enough to be able to afford some of the basic necessities for living. They'd give anything for a steadier source of income that actually puts more than breadcrumbs on the table.

Sheesh, what is up with some of y'all's tone-deaf attitudes toward the poor? Many of you are Christians; you have read what the Bible says about treating the poor, right? ...Right?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,782,856 times
Yeah - I think people are missing the point that foodstamps are based on household income, and a person can work multiple low-wage jobs, and still wind up with "food insecure" family, as the term goes.

here is the info for Georgia eligibility:
--you are a citizen of the United States or have a certain legal alien status
--you provide all of the required documents as proof of the households situation
--You and/or other household members comply with work requirements
--the household's monthly income does not exceed the income limits based on the number of people who live in the household
--The rent or mortgage payment, utility bills, and in some cases medical, child care and child support expenses are considered in the eligibility determination process if proof of these expenses are provided.

http://dhs.georgia.gov/sites/dhs.geo...v/files/47.pdf

Last edited by Tryska; 04-16-2015 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Stupid embedded html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or