U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 AM

1,114 posts, read 766,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Placing 'bike paths' or as I like to call them, wide sidewalks, next to roads creates a dangerous interaction between cars and bikes. Drivers are not looking for cyclists to be moving faster than a pedestrian walks on a wide sidewalk when they go to turn. Also, too many curb cuts and cars blocking the crosswalk, where the wide sidewalk crosses is dangerous and can force pedestrians and bikes behind cars where they are not seen and risk getting hit. Also, the traffic speeds of the local roads are too high for safe street level activity.
All valid points, but you have to start somewhere. I was in Amsterdam, probably the most bike friendly big city in the world, for the umpteenth time two weeks ago, and many, if not most, of their bike lanes are grade separated from the auto traffic. Of course, drivers there have been well trained to expect and interact with bikes where they intersect, but the more such lanes we have, the more drivers will get used to interacting with them. Again, you have to start somewhere.

In the meantime, as a cyclist myself, I would rather ride in a dedicated, grade separated lane (wide sidewalk, if you insist) where I can control my interactions with cars by slowing or stopping to check carefully at each intersection, than in a dedicated lane integrated on a road like Ponce, where a driver not paying attention to the curves of the road because they're playing with their phone could suddenly appear in my lane and hit me. I can't control that, but when my lane is grade separated, if I am a defensive biker, I can more easily control my safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 AM

23,254 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
All valid points, but you have to start somewhere. I was in Amsterdam, probably the most bike friendly big city in the world, for the umpteenth time two weeks ago, and many, if not most, of their bike lanes are grade separated from the auto traffic. Of course, drivers there have been well trained to expect and interact with bikes where they intersect, but the more such lanes we have, the more drivers will get used to interacting with them. Again, you have to start somewhere.

In the meantime, as a cyclist myself, I would rather ride in a dedicated, grade separated lane (wide sidewalk, if you insist) where I can control my interactions with cars by slowing or stopping to check carefully at each intersection, than in a dedicated lane integrated on a road like Ponce, where a driver not paying attention to the curves of the road because they're playing with their phone could suddenly appear in my lane and hit me. I can't control that, but when my lane is grade separated, if I am a defensive biker, I can more easily control my safety.
Garde separated bike lanes where cyclists are going in the same direction as cars? That's the best possible solution.
A wide sidewalk can't prevent an inattentive driver from running up the curb.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:11 AM

4,393 posts, read 4,038,806 times
This stadium location is about a bright idea as deciding to have 75 & 85 merge through downtown Atlanta decades ago.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 AM

2,484 posts, read 1,605,990 times
This is just so...ugh! The more that comes out the worse this sounds.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 766,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Garde separated bike lanes where cyclists are going in the same direction as cars? That's the best possible solution.
A wide sidewalk can't prevent an inattentive driver from running up the curb.
Nope, I guess you and I have different concepts of grade separation. To me, a curb at least provides some grade separaton, and the Amsterdam bike lanes are no more grade separated than the wide sidewalks you deride, with merely curbs and a narrow right-of-way separating them from automotive traffic in most areas that I have seen. I'd sure rather have a curb separating me from traffic than a white line.

I lived ON the Silver Comet Connector for 10+ years, and not once did I ever see or hear of a serious incident involving a cyclist and a car. Occasionally, a cyclist would fail to obey a clearly posted stop sign and enter an intersection at high speed just as a car that HAD obeyed its stop sign slowly inched into the same intersection. I actually saw this happen once, and the cyclist was entirely at fault. Fortunately, he was not seriously injured, and neither the bike nor the car sustained serious damage. Hence the need for cyclists to not only exercise good defensive driving principles, but actually obey traffic laws as well. I rode frequently in the area, both on the path and on Atlanta Road, and rarely experienced any close calls with cars, though I must confess that I preferred being on the path.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 PM

29,257 posts, read 26,188,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
This is true, and indeed that was my first reaction, but after a bit of thought, I realized that from many areas in Cumberland, you can get very, very close to the stadium without being on the main roads with high speed limits, mainly via trails, all of which are paved:
I agree. Cobb has an excellent network of trails and it wouldn't be that big a deal to make them stadium friendly.

Glad to see the Braves giving this some priority in their planning.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:40 PM

23,254 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree. Cobb has an excellent network of trails and it wouldn't be that big a deal to make them stadium friendly.

Glad to see the Braves giving this some priority in their planning.
On the backs of Cobb County taxpayers via the SPLOST fund.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

10,480 posts, read 7,467,852 times
Haha, Reddit is having a field day with this if anyone is looking for some entertainment.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:03 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,699,167 times
I agree with the comment at the bottom of the ABC article saying this is something you'd see in the Atlanta Banana.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM

221 posts, read 186,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Haha, Reddit is having a field day with this if anyone is looking for some entertainment.
I come here for the Cobb fan boy pathetic attempts at rationalization humor, and go there for the actual laughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta