Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I spent a half hour on Google street view- quite interesting architecture. Many of the streets look great.
I don't see much residential housing though unless I missed it?
Many of the buildings along Historic Hotel Row are lofts...and there are a few apartment buildings in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 05:42 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Many of the buildings along Historic Hotel Row are lofts...and there are a few apartment buildings in the area.
How many residents if you had to "guesstimate?"

Old 04-18-2015, 05:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,740,317 times
How about nicknaming it Terminus.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
How many residents if you had to "guesstimate?"
I wouldn't really know how to estimate...I've been in a couple of the lofts along Mitchell Street and know of a couple of apartment buildings, but I don't the area well enough to guess. Maybe someone else does. I wouldn't think it's one of the more populated districts of downtown.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:44 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
I like Downtown. Admittedly, it's a little different from places I'm used to living. I have not seen some CRAZY folks down there, but I'm fine with that; there are crazy folks everywhere.

The main thing that is getting me is that many things I did not like about living in a suburb is the same Downtown or possibly worse.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of not being able to buy groceries at even an earlier hour than in the suburbs. Things really close early and there are not that many options in the first place. I do like that it is flat so I can drive home and walk to where I want to go, but that doesn't really matter if there is no where open to walk to.

It just seems a bit inconvenient and avoiding that inconvenience is one of the reasons I moved.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,101 times
Great Read!!! I've been frequenting downtown lately and it looks like some areas are ripe for business owners/ investors. Auburn avenue for example is amazing. The streetcar lines the street in front of several empty units. There are a few apartment complexes in the area, one that I almost overlooked called Citywalk. I'd be excited how the neighborhood turns, but I wonder how long it would take to get people to feel safe and confident in moving down there.You've got walkability and true IMO urban living. You can get to the bars of Edgewood, GSU, all the touristy stuff and then into midtown via marta, bus whatever.....

Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,414,649 times
I lived in the Fairlie Poplar district for a year, back in 1999-2000. Back then, it was starting to gentrify, but I still don't think it really caught on in that area and "took off." I would walk through this area of "south downtown" on occasion, and it really was then the sketchiest part of downtown. I'm really surprised it hasn't taken off yet.

I'm planning on moving back to Atlanta later this summer with my company, and I may take another look at the residential options in this area. I totally agree, it has the location, building stock, transportation options and pretty much everything going for it for dense residential, commercial and place to draw people in.

It could be a district similar to "light and power" in Kansas City, ultimately....tremendous potential.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I lived in the Fairlie Poplar district for a year, back in 1999-2000. Back then, it was starting to gentrify, but I still don't think it really caught on in that area and "took off." I would walk through this area of "south downtown" on occasion, and it really was then the sketchiest part of downtown. I'm really surprised it hasn't taken off yet.

I'm planning on moving back to Atlanta later this summer with my company, and I may take another look at the residential options in this area. I totally agree, it has the location, building stock, transportation options and pretty much everything going for it for dense residential, commercial and place to draw people in.

It could be a district similar to "light and power" in Kansas City, ultimately....tremendous potential.
The area of South Downtown may seem the "sketchiest", but it's not like it isn't a thriving shopping area during the day. It may not be the shopping most of us on here would like it to be, but it is busy nonetheless. Cities need to have areas like that too.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
So I just came back from the Underground Atlanta meeting, no major news or updates. They were mostly seeking input. But they do seem very interested and invested in doing this project. There is a lot of excitement, but they noted that this will be a bigger project and take a while to sort through all the various utilities and sub-basements and history to figure out this project. They discover something new every day, but nothing has scared them yet. They are on track to expect to close in September currently. Plans are still evolving every day. But they are excited about the potential of the area and expect to bring a critical mass of good retail to the area with residential above.

Also the space they held this meeting is amazing. You may know it as the site of Metro Mall and "Kick A## Mall Cop" youtube videos. But it is actually a huge space that was Rich's first department store. It now an amazing loft office space and looks like somewhere Google would have its offices. Creative Loafing and other companies are now based out of there. Just goes to show how quickly places can change.

The other thing is that came out of the meeting is South Downtown wants input as to what it should become. They ask people to fill out the survey on their site: South Downtown - Atlanta, Georgia

Old 04-22-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
So I just came back from the Underground Atlanta meeting, no major news or updates. They were mostly seeking input. But they do seem very interested and invested in doing this project. There is a lot of excitement, but they noted that this will be a bigger project and take a while to sort through all the various utilities and sub-basements and history to figure out this project. They discover something new every day, but nothing has scared them yet. They are on track to expect to close in September currently. Plans are still evolving every day. But they are excited about the potential of the area and expect to bring a critical mass of good retail to the area with residential above.

Also the space they held this meeting is amazing. You may know it as the site of Metro Mall and "Kick A## Mall Cop" youtube videos. But it is actually a huge space that was Rich's first department store. It now an amazing loft office space and looks like somewhere Google would have its offices. Creative Loafing and other companies are now based out of there. Just goes to show how quickly places can change.

The other thing is that came out of the meeting is South Downtown wants input as to what it should become. They ask people to fill out the survey on their site: South Downtown - Atlanta, Georgia
Metro Mall is no more??? That's the best news I've heard all day! Sounds like Peachtree South may be on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: