Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times

Advertisements

What are people thinking about this school? Anyone have a child enrolled or have a friend with a child enrolled? Looks like the school requires giftedness and teaches Mandarin, Spanish and French (all at once, each year) so interesting twist. Just opened this year.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
I just spoke with a friend who is a former AIS parent and moved her child to midtown international this year. She LOVES the school. Ande is a total force of nature, attracting very dynamic teachers. This is a totally innovative and happening school.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Hi AtlJan,

Do you have a sense as to why your friend is happier at MIS relative to AIS?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM

175 posts, read 203,529 times
I know someone with a child at the school. She loves the principle, Ande, but the school isn't a good fit for her daughter and they're pulling her out.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Chabang,

Thanks for your comment. Would you mind giving viewers an insight into the findings that your friend had about the school? It is a new school so this type of exchange is very useful and informative. What does he/she love about the principal? Why isn't the school a good fit? What is the school like?

By the way, I am always intrigued by people who pull their kids out of private school in the middle of the year. I had no idea that there were other options for a child mid-year (assuming the people who do this are not going place their children in the local public school). I did not realize that private schools admitted students for entry mid-year. Fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
I know someone with a child at the school. She loves the principle, Ande, but the school isn't a good fit for her daughter and they're pulling her out.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Lovely Summer

I think they are probably pulling their child at the end of the year....

Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM

175 posts, read 203,529 times
Hi, yes she's pulling her daughter out at the end of the year although she said two kids were pulled out of the 1st grade class before the winter break (she doesn't know the parents or the reasons why). From my conversations with her, I think she agrees with AtlJan about the principle and feels she's very progressive, imaginative, approachable, etc. This is feedback I got from my friend because I was considering the school and grilled her about it so please keep in mind it is secondhand: Positives are the school does have great teachers, low student/teacher ratio, many aftercare options, and alot of creative aspects to the curriculum. Negatives are the school is new and underenrolled so takes everyone including several kids with special needs and maybe behavioral issues. These kids perform fine academically but can be disruptive in the classroom and, unlike public schools, private schools have no resources or experience in dealing with them. A very small class size can work against your kid if they there are only 2-3 other girls in the class and they don't click with them. She also hasn't been happy with the level of math instruction. There is no playground! Shocking to me but apparently there is just a tiny L-shaped area they fenced and covered with mulch in the back of the school (the school is in a shopping strip and is very physically small) with no playstructures at all. She said alot of parents/kids absolutely LOVE the school so I think it is one of those schools that would be a great fit for a specific type of child but unlike, say Lovett or AIS, would not be worth the tuition cost for the majority of people looking for the private school experience for their child. I'd say tour it, sit in a class, and see what you think. My friend kind of turned me off of it so I didn't pursue it.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Oh I see. Thank you very much for that very detailed answer. Yes, having no playground is not the best situation since getting out in fresh air is really good for kids. I wonder if there is an adequate gym space indoors given that the school is in a strip mall setting.

I am very surprised that you indicated that your friend is not happy with the level of math instruction. Since the school is directed to gifted students, I guess I would have assumed that the level of math instruction would be very, very high. Perhaps I do not fully understand what it means to be a school for gifted children. I assumed academically gifted but perhaps I have misunderstood. Do you have any further insight on what your friend found to be deficient relative to the math instruction? Honestly, the assumed high level of math instruction is one of the aspects of the curriculum that was of interest to me so this is very valuable that you have flagged this as an area for much more research/delving on my part. Thank you.

I was also under the impression that the school did not accept children with behavioral issues. You are absolutely right that most private schools that are not specifically directed to educating children with behavioral issues usually do not do that well. I am surprised they are trying. I thought the typical approach was for the private school to come to the parents with the not a good match conversation but, as you said, when you are just starting out, this may not be feasible for the school.

Chabang, what does your friend think about other privates in town relative to MIS?

Any further thoughts (from anyone) greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:05 AM

Oh I see. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Lovely Summer

I think they are probably pulling their child at the end of the year....

Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
I am under the impression from both parents and the school website that MIS is geared toward gifted students who need a smaller classroom -- "MIS is intended for superior students who learn best in very small class environments" ( from the website), so I would expect ADHD kids and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta