U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:54 PM

124 posts, read 133,517 times

Advertisements

Intetesting that Im seeing this as I just spent the weekend in Atlanta and due to the sucky-not-so-great-for-taking-photos-weather....(hey, its spring time)...me and one of my bff's went shopping at Lenox, Phipps, and North Point. I will say that Lenox has more of a concentrated mix of upscale inline tenants. I will say that I absolutely love the Macy's store there....they have a separate Men's Store for me to shop at...which I might add that this store is bigger than most regular department stores Ivd seen in my day. I love the overall energy that Lenox has. To me, its just nice just walking around and Christmas time shopping is awesome. The Bloomingdale's is pretty busy and cool. Neiman Marcus is great....if you have that kind of money! Lol! Overall I love Lenox.

Now across the street at Phipps...it does carry a very upper echelon houte couture vibe with Saks, and Nordstroms but for the life of me...I understand Belk came into that mall due to the Parisian buyout but for this location to be considered a "Flagship" location....I just dont see how and why. This location reminds me of the old location at Four Seasons in Greensboro, NC. I thought the overall energy and ambiance was lacking. As a former sales rep in retail, I find that this Belk (from a Men's Dept) standpoint is absolutely horrible. The lack of floorspace for Mensware baffles me. If someone remembers Parisian, was it always like this? I feel that a better men's department would help this store. Anyways, the AMC theaters and Legoland plus the ongoing renovations will add to the mall. No complaints on Phipps, it always leaves a great impression for the dignified and distinctive shopper.

What are the thoughts on North Point? Or should there be a separate thread on that mall?

Love Atlanta you guys and gals!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,353,743 times
Good review.

The weather was a bummer BUT oddly enough, I didn't notice it and nor did it ruin my fun times.

I'm sure you feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Intetesting that Im seeing this as I just spent the weekend in Atlanta and due to the sucky-not-so-great-for-taking-photos-weather....(hey, its spring time)...me and one of my bff's went shopping at Lenox, Phipps, and North Point. I will say that Lenox has more of a concentrated mix of upscale inline tenants. I will say that I absolutely love the Macy's store there....they have a separate Men's Store for me to shop at...which I might add that this store is bigger than most regular department stores Ivd seen in my day. I love the overall energy that Lenox has. To me, its just nice just walking around and Christmas time shopping is awesome. The Bloomingdale's is pretty busy and cool. Neiman Marcus is great....if you have that kind of money! Lol! Overall I love Lenox.

Now across the street at Phipps...it does carry a very upper echelon houte couture vibe with Saks, and Nordstroms but for the life of me...I understand Belk came into that mall due to the Parisian buyout but for this location to be considered a "Flagship" location....I just dont see how and why. This location reminds me of the old location at Four Seasons in Greensboro, NC. I thought the overall energy and ambiance was lacking. As a former sales rep in retail, I find that this Belk (from a Men's Dept) standpoint is absolutely horrible. The lack of floorspace for Mensware baffles me. If someone remembers Parisian, was it always like this? I feel that a better men's department would help this store. Anyways, the AMC theaters and Legoland plus the ongoing renovations will add to the mall. No complaints on Phipps, it always leaves a great impression for the dignified and distinctive shopper.

What are the thoughts on North Point? Or should there be a separate thread on that mall?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:59 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,885,216 times
Quote:

Parisians was nicer than belk but never anywhere as good as a Nordstrom;s or even a Macy's for that matter

Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,263,757 times
Parisian overall had a more "pared" down selection where as Belk as a little of everything. Really, Belk at Phipps does have the higher end offerings of Parisian, but has lots of more moderately priced things too, hence the more crowded appearance. As for a Parisian/ Macy's comparison. Today's Macy's does not hold a candle to Parisian of old, but neither holds the ambiance of Rich's in my opinion. Back in the days when the Bloomingdale's at Lenox was a Macy's and the Macy's was a Rich's, well the Macy's was more comparitable to J. C. Penny's in their offerings and layout, and Rich's more like Parisian or Lord and Taylor, especially at their Lenox Location. They had all the designers including Bridge sportswear like you have to go to Neiman's, Sak's, or Nordstrom at Phipps to get these days. In my opinion Rich's was in a class by itself and NOTHING in comparable.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,541,966 times
Quote:

Check out Avalon, Buckhead Atlanta and Westside Provisions

Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 AM

124 posts, read 133,517 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I will say that I have always been fascinated about the stories from Atlantians concerning the overall viewpoint and stance of Rich's Department Store. Back home up north, we had Thalheimer's and Miller & Rhodes as our go-to local luxury chains but never have I heard the passion that the people of Atlanta speak on when they talk about Rich's.

When Federated decided to tack on the Macy's nameplate to Rich's, were there any local oppositions as angry mobs and picketing like the Chicago folks when the Marshall Field's name and personality was phased out up there? I will say that one of the best things going about the Macy's stores in Atlanta that I really like is that on the outside it looks and feels like Rich's, inside.....not so much but I can only imagine what it was like to spend the day shopping and eating and getting some red velvet cake (IIRC) that people talk about at the bakery which was super popular. As a matter of fact, the Macys store here in Greenville used to be a Rich's and the employees there sometimes get teary-eyed when they talk about how close knit and family Rich's was qnd their customer service was top notch and you cant find it anymore in the retail scene.....however I will say that based on my observations, you might be able to experience something similar if you take a visit to Von Maurs. Von Maurs is just downright good! Its a small chain of 35 stores, no big time riff raft that major dept store chains go through. Its family owned but it just feels right. Price wise....it has price points for all shoppers, they IMO need a restaurant and housewares and they are set. But apparently they are doing good in the Atlanta market as their third location ia being built while we speak at the former Nordstroms location at Mall of Georgia.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,263,757 times
Von Maur is nice; beautiful stores and good to great customer service. They seem to be who Nordstrom pretends to be (no one has EVER been nice to me at Nordstrom, perhaps they smell the Clayton County on me LOL). Still, while they are a nice replacement for the late, great Parisian, they are still NOT Rich's. By the way, Rich's bakery was famous for their delicious coconut cakes, not red velvet. ;0)

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM

11 posts, read 7,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I like the brands such as Brooks Brothers, Façonnable, Ferragamo to name a few.

Sent from Gmail Mobile
Does Lenox have luxury brands?

Yea it's the best mall if you have enough money left over to wipe your butt.
To tell you the truth, when I lived in New York City, Macy's was my favorite. It always had a nice atmosphere.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,991,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Nevertheless, another fantastic visit to Atlanta has ended. I did visit all of the malls listed in this thread.

The one I did not like was the one with Belks as the anchor store. I wasn't thrilled with that mall.

BUT to all of those that provided answers, thanks, again.
Next time you visit maybe the weather will cooperate and you can check out Buckhead Atlanta (Hermes),
and some of the smaller stores over on howell mill rd.and 14th street.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,353,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Next time you visit maybe the weather will cooperate and you can check out Buckhead Atlanta (Hermes),
and some of the smaller stores over on howell mill rd.and 14th street.

Although the weather wasn't the best, I still had lots of fun and plenty to do.

Next time I will get to Buckhead.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or