U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM

257 posts, read 180,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Sometimes you just have to overlook some post man
Because you don't have an answer? You seriously think that adding all these people to Atlanta on top of our existing traffic/infrastructure problems is not a real issue? If so, it's you that should be ignored, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,223,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Have we come to this? Asking if people will walk 2 blocks from Arts Center to Pershing Point.... really???? Seriously?

Yes...seriously... I don't ask a question just for the sake of doing so. And in reality it is more than a distance of just 2 blocks.
I work in Midtown 1.5 blocks from the Arts Center Marta Station. Despite the close proximity of MARTA service, my office staff is both walk & transit-phobic.
Out of 13 of us in the office, 2 of us presently commute via an Xpress bus service. Out of the approximately 18 or so of us that have worked here in the last 5 years, in that time frame only 1 other (for a total of 3 out of 18) has regularly used any form of mass transit.
Every afternoon on the way home I ride an Xpress GRTA bus on W. Peachtree between 14th St. & 17th St. to within a block of the newly-announced Pershing Point location for Kaiser & see plenty of pedestrian traffic. However, virtually none of it is near middle age or older but rather appears to be comprised primarily of Millennials & GenXers, students, etc.
Do you also work in Midtown & have relevant daily observations that run counter to mine?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,688,906 times
I don't go back and forth online. The moral of the story is it is 2 blocks away from Marta. The end.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 PM

10,469 posts, read 7,447,271 times
Atlanta Woos Kaiser Permanente Without Huge Incentives | WABE 90.1 FM

Quote:
...Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed says the city’s reputation as a health IT center meant officials didn’t have to sweeten the pot very much to attract Kaiser.

“We provided about $300,000 in incentives today for 900 net new jobs," Reed says. "I think that most folks at home will think that’s a good investment."

Kaiser officials say the brain power coming from the area’s colleges and universities was a deciding factor in choosing Atlanta. They also praised Atlanta as being business-friendly...

Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 PM

5,105 posts, read 3,422,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Because you don't have an answer? You seriously think that adding all these people to Atlanta on top of our existing traffic/infrastructure problems is not a real issue? If so, it's you that should be ignored, not me.
Get a clue.

If you don't like growth and prosperity, check out Albany. It may better suit you.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 PM

5,105 posts, read 3,422,186 times
This great to hear, jsvh!

Another positive is the absorption of all of the space that was EarthLink's former HQ's.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,031,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Cities throughout the millennia have seen growth outstrip existing infrastructure. It is not a new thing. Traffic jams and crowds are part-and-parcel of city life. NO city on earth adequately handles it. You can only do so much. Even NYC, with one of the world's largest mass transit systems, has monstrous traffic jams. Still it doesn't stop people from wanting to live there or business as usual.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:13 AM

10,469 posts, read 7,447,271 times
Transit, walkability key factors in Kaiser Permanente?s decision to put 900 jobs in Midtown - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Quote:
...The health provider has been a major investor in the Atlanta BeltLine and contributed to numerous environmental organizations. Its decision to locate within walking distance of the Arts Center MARTA Station continues its commitment to health for its employees and for the community, she said. Kaiser

Permanente is the latest of a series of major economic development announcements that have mentioned the importance of being close to MARTA specifically the rail system in deciding where to locate their businesses.

NCR Corp. chose to move its headquarters to Midtown; State Farm Insurance Corp. selected a new base next to the Dunwoody MARTA Station, PulteGroup Inc. picked a site next to the Buckhead MARTA Station, and Mercedes USA is building its headquarters near the Sandy Springs MARTA Station...

Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,688,906 times
***drops the mic***

I said the exact same thing yesterday. ...

Old 04-17-2015, 09:54 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,039,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes...seriously... I don't ask a question just for the sake of doing so. And in reality it is more than a distance of just 2 blocks.
I work in Midtown 1.5 blocks from the Arts Center Marta Station. Despite the close proximity of MARTA service, my office staff is both walk & transit-phobic.
Out of 13 of us in the office, 2 of us presently commute via an Xpress bus service. Out of the approximately 18 or so of us that have worked here in the last 5 years, in that time frame only 1 other (for a total of 3 out of 18) has regularly used any form of mass transit.
Every afternoon on the way home I ride an Xpress GRTA bus on W. Peachtree between 14th St. & 17th St. to within a block of the newly-announced Pershing Point location for Kaiser & see plenty of pedestrian traffic. However, virtually none of it is near middle age or older but rather appears to be comprised primarily of Millennials & GenXers, students, etc.
Do you also work in Midtown & have relevant daily observations that run counter to mine?
There are middle aged people working and walking in that area. I live in that area. Businesses have thrown away many of their middle aged workers in the past few years and replaced them younger people. hence the many younger people you have seen.
(I would love to work in Midtown, but there is a very heavy bias against anyone over 40)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or