U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:54 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,046,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I would actually be more in favor of a Gwinnett Rapid Transit Authority that would build heavy rail and connect to MARTA.

I think we could do a better job designing it, building it, and operating it than MARTA could. I just don't know if the complications having two different systems would create...may not be worth it in the end and just put up with MARTA as kind of a necessary evil.
The problems (new trains, facilities, construction methods, etc.) of a new transit agency would far way out weigh just letting MARTA run the trains. Gwinnett Co. would also get far more reach by using MARTA's already established facilities and resources than trying to start completely from scratch.

Why do you consider MARTA an evil at all? Has the agency not, in the past few years, shown that it can manage itself responsibly while still progressing and upgrading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:56 PM

23,418 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I would actually be more in favor of a Gwinnett Rapid Transit Authority that would build heavy rail and connect to MARTA.

I think we could do a better job designing it, building it, and operating it than MARTA could. I just don't know if the complications having two different systems would create...may not be worth it in the end and just put up with MARTA as kind of a necessary evil.
You would force people to transfer when connecting to MARTA because there is no way MARTA or FTA would allow 2 transit agencies to operate HRT on the same line. FTA may make GCT cooperate with MARTA on building any rail, they made CoA do this for the streetcar because MARTA has rail experience.
MARTA has proven that has changed and is a good steward of public money.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,499,606 times
No

Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
No
No what?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,768,504 times
Awesome. If they stuck it near Gwinnett Place Mall, maybe that could revitalize the area. Lenox and Perimeter aren't doing so bad after all.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM

1,057 posts, read 849,577 times
Good news, but here's the "troubling" part: 50% said they would support a one percent sales tax to fund that expansion. That's cutting it very close; just a swing of a few voters and bam, no MARTA in Gwinnett County. It is an improvement compared to the 1990s, though, when support was much, much, much lower.

Bonus: There's only one comment on the AJC version at the time of this posting, but it's pure vein-popping gold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC Comment Section
If Martas get hear we R movin 2 anoter palce with out Marta! Welcom Marta U welcome crime
[]

- skbl17

Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC Comment Section
If Martas get hear we R movin 2 anoter palce with out Marta! Welcom Marta U welcome crime
Gotta love the trolls...

Old 04-16-2015, 05:04 PM
bu2

10,041 posts, read 6,448,118 times
Unless Cobb joined at the same time, governance would be difficult. Gwinnett wouldn't want to be dominated by Atlanta and Atlanta wouldn't want to cede too much authority over MARTA. With Cobb joining, it would be easier to justify a new balance.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,523,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Unless Cobb joined at the same time, governance would be difficult. Gwinnett wouldn't want to be dominated by Atlanta and Atlanta wouldn't want to cede too much authority over MARTA. With Cobb joining, it would be easier to justify a new balance.
In your mind. I am pretty sure that they did not ask "would you favor joining MARTA if Cobb joins too". The world does not go around Cobb.

The real question is how many years of being the only core county without MARTA will Cobb go until they join MARTA too? Any recent polls in Cobb? I bet it is disappointing.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:13 PM
bu2

10,041 posts, read 6,448,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
In your mind. I am pretty sure that they did not ask "would you favor joining if Cobb joins too". The world does not go around Cobb.
You should learn to read more carefully.

When it comes down to it, if Atlanta still dominates the MARTA board Gwinnett is going to be very reluctant to join.
And with just Gwinnett, Atlanta isn't going to want to give up much power. Fulton Co would be 40% of the population and probably a much higher % of the sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or