U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM

5,554 posts, read 3,047,394 times

Advertisements

MARTA's ready... but is Gwinnett County?

This isn't actually that great of an article, writing wise, but it's got some nuggets of information buried.

Quote:
Snyder, who has launched a GoFundMe page to support the effort, himself has lived in Florida and Pennsylvania. New folks, he said, “are coming from areas that have concentrated mass transit and don’t want to be forced to use their vehicles … they’re accustomed to it and that’s what they’re looking for.” In addition, he said, lack of transit is starting to hinder employees and employers from linking up with each other.
Quote:
Another business group, the Gwinnett Village Community Improvement District, which sits on both sides of I-85 just inside the county, are just finishing the analysis of some 4,000 answers to the recent Gr8 Exchange survey on transportation. Joel Wascher, the CID’s communications director, says he thinks there’s a fair amount of support for options.
Quote:
“There’s been no official dialog” between MARTA and Gwinnett, Krisak said.

Meanwhile, Gwinnett is busy asking its voters for a penny for education this year, and perhaps another for other infrastructure next year.

The commission decides what’s on the ballot. A county spokesman said Chair Charlotte Nash was working, then on vacation last week, so could not talk to Creative Loafing. But Nash did tell the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in April this year that MARTA would be divisive and she “is not ready to say we’re going to tear this community apart by calling a referendum on that.”
Quote:
About 63 percent of likely voters in Gwinnett would like to see MARTA expand into their county, according to a March poll by the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce. But only 50 percent would approve the penny for it, according to the same poll. With a margin of error of 4.4 percent, that’s no guaranteed majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 AM

6,356 posts, read 3,428,158 times
So 13% of the polled sample were saying, what exactly? "Yes, let's join MARTA but let's also not pay for it with the 1% tax?" Huh? Doesn't even make sense. Should have been one and the same question.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM

29,394 posts, read 26,345,718 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, Gwinnett is busy asking its voters for a penny for education this year, and perhaps another for other infrastructure next year.
I can understand the reluctance of taxpayers to keep taking another penny out of every dollar.

You've only got 100 pennies total, so if you keep peeling them off for this and that, before long there's not much left.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM

5,554 posts, read 3,047,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can understand the reluctance of taxpayers to keep taking another penny out of every dollar.

You've only got 100 pennies total, so if you keep peeling them off for this and that, before long there's not much left.
Well, i'm pretty sure they're asking for SPLOSTS, which means that it's not that you have only 100cents that you take a penny from.

It's that you have 100cents spent that then have 8 or 7 cents added onto it depending on the sales tax rate.

I don't like sales taxes either, and would much rather a progressive tax structure for our needs, but Georgia isn't a state that thinks like that, so I'll take what I can get when it comes to funding public needs.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:39 PM

5,248 posts, read 4,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So 13% of the polled sample were saying, what exactly? "Yes, let's join MARTA but let's also not pay for it with the 1% tax?" Huh? Doesn't even make sense. Should have been one and the same question.
Taxophobia. It's a symptom of 'Muricanism.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:40 PM

743 posts, read 679,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
My thoughts exactly

Old 09-30-2015, 02:44 PM

23,437 posts, read 17,582,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

How did we pay for the Eisenhower Interstate System, all the wars, New Deal, Great Society, etc?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 PM

5,443 posts, read 3,840,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How did we pay for the Eisenhower Interstate System, all the wars, New Deal, Great Society, etc?
Debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or