U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 PM

10 posts, read 12,754 times

Advertisements

I live only a 1 hour and 30 mins from Atl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM

Ok I will check Charlotte out this summer.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
The Charlotte metro area is smaller than Atlanta. Atlanta is bigger for jobs and entertainment. Charlotte is big on nascar and Billy Graham.
Growing up in North Carolina, Atlanta was the place to shop and go for entertainment; Charlotte not so much.
Clearly here this girls have no clue about cities there is only one mall in atlanta and there is 3 in Charlotte.There is more resturants entertainment clubs and nightlife atlanta pop is only about 300,000 city proper size and Charlotte is about550,00 city proper wise Charlotte is twice the size as Atl and twice the fun.She is just a little girl who have not got out of her city.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 PM

29,688 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid335 View Post
Clearly here this girls have no clue about cities there is only one mall in atlanta and there is 3 in Charlotte.There is more resturants entertainment clubs and nightlife atlanta pop is only about 300,000 city proper size and Charlotte is about550,00 city proper wise Charlotte is twice the size as Atl and twice the fun.She is just a little girl who have not got out of her city.
Could you at least not act like an obvious troll? And even if you're only talking about the cities proper, you're still wrong: Charlotte has two malls in the city limits (South Park, Northlake) and so does Atlanta (Lenox, Phipps Plaza). And Atlanta easily has more of everything than Charlotte...you should just go away.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 PM

1,057 posts, read 845,594 times
In some ways, yes. Many of the Metrolina's planning and development cues are compared to those of Atlanta when it went through its rapid postwar boom period.

Quote:
No Charlotte is bigger than atlanta and has more jobs and entertainment
In terms of the populations of city limits, (the City of) Charlotte has more people than (the City of) Atlanta. In addition, the city of Charlotte's land area is bigger than Atlanta's. However, city those measurements are not a good indicator of the influence and clout a city has. Sacramento has more people than Atlanta, but would you honestly conclude that because of that, Sacramento is more influential and powerful than Atlanta? City limits are arbitrary and vary from state to state; I bet you that North Carolina and Georgia have different annexation laws. It is naive at best, dishonest at worst to base a city's importance or position in the world solely on its municipal population.

In global rankings, a better indicator of a city's influence from a population standpoint would be the size of the urban agglomeration (or "urban area" as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau). In this field, Atlanta is larger than Charlotte, with its ~4 million person urban area being larger than Charlotte's ~1.2 million person urban area. Expanding the definition to include the Census Bureau's metropolitan area definitions yields 5.2 million for Atlanta, but 2.3 for Charlotte.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "more jobs and entertainment". It is true that over the last few years Charlotte has been adding jobs at a much quicker pace than Atlanta. Atlanta and Charlotte are both regional economic hubs and were both hit quite hard in the 2008 economic crash, but most economic analysts and firms from GaWC to Foreign Policy to The Economist place Charlotte two or three tiers below Atlanta in terms of the overall size and global importance of each city's economy. Also, it's not like Atlanta is static or flat in terms of job growth, either; it's growing as well. To base the dynamics and size of economies solely on the back of job growth is intellectually dishonest.

As for entertainment, I don't understand where you're coming from. Both cities host two or more professional sports teams. Both have aquariums. Atlanta has a zoo, and one is in the planning stages in Charlotte. Both have iconic museums. Both have art museums. Both have performing arts centers and theaters. Both have growing nightlife districts. Both have arts and music festivals. Both have auto racing circuits. However, Atlanta has more visitors, more conventions, more venues, more options. I fail to see how Charlotte has "more entertainment", in fact, I don't believe for a second that is true at all.

Whether or not a city is "better" for oneself ultimately boils down to personal preference, and indeed, there are people (such as you) who personally prefer Charlotte over Atlanta. That's fine, and I'm not seeking to change your opinion. But let's not automatically assume that Charlotte is better from an empirical standpoint because it is "bigger" (only by two arbitrary criteria that vary from state to state), has "more jobs" (in terms of job growth, technically correct but both cities are growing), and has "more entertainment" (false).

- skbl17

Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 PM

4,197 posts, read 3,561,673 times
Omg! not another freakin Atlanta and Charlotte thread comparison, their is already like a thousand threads on this.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 PM

Me myself enjoy atlanta it is a beautiful city.As of the other guy coolkid 335 was just hating on atlanta

Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,919,458 times
The city center of Atlanta feels nothing like Charlotte...only the suburbs do. People draw comparisons to the cities a lot, but I just feel like Atlanta has more unique neighborhoods and just a more trendy feeling city period.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,694,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid335 View Post
Mathman is that you???

Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or