U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,866,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
This thread should just be closed... It's just troll-bait.

Charlotte's anti-Atlanta boosters (of which there are a fair number, sadly) resort to the city proper EVERY time. But... But... Charlotte's got 750,000! You've only got 430,000! Blah Blah Blah. It's called splitting hairs. They really hate it when they are reminded of Atlanta's much larger metropolitan region... As if you can ignore millions of people...
LOL, Yes, But Charlotte does not want to be another Atlanta,,,LMAO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:42 PM

221 posts, read 355,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Charlotte is just fine with being Atlanta's baby sister

Old 04-17-2015, 03:06 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,031,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I don't know what you mean. It's too late. It is following the EXACT pattern. The development is virtually a carbon copy of Atlanta. Suburban sprawl continues outward. Car-centered developments. Cul-de-sac's abound. Lack of sidewalks in the city and suburbs are problems. I-485 is causing "edge cities" to begin forming (Ballantyne). Freeways (Independence Blvd.) are being carved through neighborhoods. South End is just another Buckhead (only without skyscrapers). Low density is prevalent. On and on... Sorry but it's a typical sunbelt city.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 04-17-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,871,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid335 View Post
No Charlotte is bigger than atlanta and has more jobs and entertainment
Atlanta is 3 times the size of Charlotte with at least 3 times the amenities (entertainment, jobs, restaurants, bars, shopping, festivals, etc). Atlanta has 3 skylines individually equal to the size of Charlotte's one. Charlotte is a fine city and has lot to offer, but is not on par with Atlanta. Examples of Charlotte's peer cities are Tampa, Denver, St Louis, Pittsburgh, etc.

Nobody cares about how many people live in the arbitrary city limits of a city...if we were to go by city limits then Jacksonville FL is larger than Boston, Louisville is larger than Miami and Indianapolis is larger than San Francisco. It's ludicrous.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Charlotte is a great city experiencing quite a bit of growth. It is not yet Atlanta (proper, sure, but you have to view these things as metro areas... because I don't think anyone views Jacksonville as "bigger" than Miami... etc etc).

Charlotte is where Atlanta was 30 or 40 years ago and on the same positive trajectory. Hopefully it can learn from some of the errors of Atlanta and control its growth and sprawl such that it doesn't face the same problems that Atlanta faces today.
Charlotte already sprawls nearly as much as Atlanta...and I don't think that these things are Atlanta's "errors" as much as they are tremendous growth and an inability to keep up with it. No city growing as fast as Atlanta or Charlotte can keep up with that kind of growth.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:59 PM

29,530 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, there are 4 enclosed shopping malls within the city limits of Atlanta: Lenox Square, Phipps Plaza, The Mall WestEnd, and Greenbriar Mall. However, what you are saying is valid about Atlanta being more of core portion of much larger urbanized area than Charlotte.
You're correct about the other malls; I tend to forget them since they are mainly neighborhood-based and don't draw patrons from across the region like the others. And you could include Atlantic Station too although it's not a traditional mall.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:59 PM

346 posts, read 286,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Nobody cares about how many people live in the arbitrary city limits of a city...if we were to go by city limits then Jacksonville FL is larger than Boston, Louisville is larger than Miami and Indianapolis is larger than San Francisco. It's ludicrous.
Exactly.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:31 PM

708 posts, read 803,769 times
Atlanta has more to offer transit,nightlife,events,restaurants and more!
Atlanta wins overall, end of conversation.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're correct about the other malls; I tend to forget them since they are mainly neighborhood-based and don't draw patrons from across the region like the others. And you could include Atlantic Station too although it's not a traditional mall.
Don't forget this little gem in South Downtown.

metro mall atlanta ghetto - Bing Images

Old 04-18-2015, 02:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,031,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Don't forget this little gem in South Downtown.

metro mall atlanta ghetto - Bing Images
I wouldn't go there if THEY paid ME. I am a fair minded person. I don't believe in trolling other cities or competing. I wish wealth and success on ALL. But there are criticisms that can be made of ANY. Not to start a competition, but I feel Charlotte did better than Atlanta at keeping it's downtown relevant and lively. At one time both downtown and midtown Atlanta were in decline. Midtown revived before downtown did. Downtown Charlotte was known for rolling up the streets at 5 PM at one point, and look how lively it is now. Despite suburban sprawl and decentralization, Charlotte's downtown has surged into a "happening" place. I keep waiting for that same kind of excitement to hit Atlanta's downtown. Yet it seems to struggle more than Charlotte's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or