U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 AM

705 posts, read 591,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
kennesaw actually has a decent amount of office parks where you could find work, also Marietta and cumberland are down the road which opens up many more job potentials.
Definitely encouraging. I also noticed Wellstar's Administration building is located in Marietta which is awesome.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 AM

950 posts, read 3,482,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Care to elaborate? Again, being a non resident, that was just the general impression I got from people regarding Alpharetta/John's Creek (Due to the excellent schools and more expensive homes) Which suburb of ATL would you consider to be more elitist?
Atlanta suburbs are much different than suburbs of NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran, etc. Those cities have some elite suburbs. If you have an address in one of those top suburbs, people can instantly get an idea of your wealth, status, career, etc.

Atlanta suburbs are not like that. Sure Johns Creek and Alpharetta have some ritzy subdivisions, but you can also afford to live in those towns on a $40k job. So Id argue no suburbs are elitist here.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Atlanta suburbs are much different than suburbs of NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran, etc. Those cities have some elite suburbs. If you have an address in one of those top suburbs, people can instantly get an idea of your wealth, status, career, etc.

Atlanta suburbs are not like that. Sure Johns Creek and Alpharetta have some ritzy subdivisions, but you can also afford to live in those towns on a $40k job. So Id argue no suburbs are elitist here.
That is definitely true for my city of Boston (Only very well off people can afford to live in suburbs like Lexington, Winchester, Weston, Wellesley, Lincoln, etc)

And the fact that there are no particular "elite" suburbs or towns in greater Atlanta, in my mind, is a good thing. Diversity is great, whether it be racial, religious, or in this case economical.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 AM

1,996 posts, read 2,125,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
So I posted earlier in this forum about a potential move to the Atlanta area with my family within the next year, and have done a TON of research regarding areas we are looking at (narrowed it down to 6 towns/cities) One strong contender was Alpharetta. I was casually looking at homes and prices on Zillow in that town, and there were a ton of homes in our 350K-ish price range. However, I looked at homes with similar sq footage and style in Kennesaw, and a lot of them were 75K-100k cheaper! And according to the ratings, the schools don't seem bad at all (8-9 ratings).

Is there a reason for such a price difference in Kennesaw? Is it just not as popular of a place to live? More crime? Any input would be great.
I would say that Kennessaw is not quite as cosmopolitan as Alpharetta. That and much of Cobb County seems to have been zoned/planned by a complete moron.

Kennessaw is also about 35-40 minutes outside of the city of Atlanta compared to Alpharetta's ~25 min.

The amount of development in the last 15 years around Acworth (just north of Kennessaw) has increased the similarities between the two areas.

Personally, I think that Kennessaw traffic is very much worse than traffic in most of the city of Atlanta, but whether that holds true for you depends on your commute.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:31 AM

10,469 posts, read 7,447,271 times
Cobb is the catch.

Do some searches on this forum and you will find many (including me) are not fans of the direction the county is going.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I would say that Kennessaw is not quite as cosmopolitan as Alpharetta. That and much of Cobb County seems to have been zoned/planned by a complete moron.

Kennessaw is also about 35-40 minutes outside of the city of Atlanta compared to Alpharetta's ~25 min.

The amount of development in the last 15 years around Acworth (just north of Kennessaw) has increased the similarities between the two areas.

Personally, I think that Kennessaw traffic is very much worse than traffic in most of the city of Atlanta, but whether that holds true for you depends on your commute.
Definitely not looking for cosmopolitan, but on the other hand, don't want to live in town/city with a bunch of dumpy areas either. Just a nice, clean, safe, suburban town.

As far as commuting goes, I don't plan on looking for work in the city. Since my income will only be supplementary to my wife's, I am really open to any office type job in any field. I'm hoping that will give me a greater chance at finding something close to where we decide to end up living.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Cobb is the catch.

Do some searches on this forum and you will find many (including me) are not fans of the direction the county is going.
Thanks for the heads up. I definitely want to research all aspects of the area (good or bad)

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,432,264 times
I think that the "higher status" of North Fulton, close-in Northwest Dekalb (I am referring to everything from Druid Hills, Northlake, over to Dunwoody here), and even the Vinings community of southeast Cobb is the fact that they are adjacent to the favored quarters of the actual City of Atlanta. Vinings and North Fulton are of course adjacent to the Buckhead district of the City of Atlanta, Northwest Dekalb are adjacent to "fashionable Northeast Atlanta". Well-heeled suburbia followed the development pattern out from the central city. Kennesaw is quite a nice place, but it is further out being on the northern frontier of Cobb County it would also benefit price wise that being further out is just cheaper. While I am sure that Kennesaw, Marietta, and certainly the Cumberland area are job centers in their own right, they together do not nearly match the job center behemoth that is the northern tier of the City of Atlanta, plus Sandy Springs/ Dunwoody (Perimeter Center area) plus North Point area that are in the Georgia 400 corridor. Thus, even though the northern reaches of Fulton County are certainly as far or farther than Kennesaw from Downtown Atlanta, they are MUCH closer to many job centers that have above average paying jobs, hence the larger expense.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM

994 posts, read 1,166,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Kennesaw is not 35-40 minutes away from the City of Atlanta. Even at Kennesaw's farthest exit, it's 16 miles to the "City of Atlanta" and about 20 minutes to midtown and 25- 30 minutes to downtown. I occasionally have to be "in the city" during work-day drive-time hours. The volume and ridiculousness of traffic in areas like Perimeter or Buckhead or Midtown or Downtown eclipses anything you will find in Kennesaw.

The worst glut of cars in Kennesaw are those coming north this way on I-75 from the city during rush hour.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:57 AM

148 posts, read 183,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Kennesaw is not 35-40 minutes away from the City of Atlanta. Even at Kennesaw's farthest exit, it's 16 miles to the "City of Atlanta" and about 20 minutes to midtown and 25- 30 minutes to downtown. I occasionally have to be "in the city" during work-day drive-time hours. The volume and ridiculousness of traffic in areas like Perimeter or Buckhead or Midtown or Downtown eclipses anything you will find in Kennesaw.

The worst glut of cars in Kennesaw are those coming north this way on I-75 from the city during rush hour.
Don't bother, a few folks on here hate everything about Cobb because their feelings got hurt over the Braves. They act like Cobb is the only place with traffic and you can just zoom right through Midtown, Sandy Springs, and Buckhead during rush with no problem and MARTA is an easy, quick way to get to major job and retail centers in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or