Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,839 times

Advertisements

Is there a problem with adding a gasline to a kitchen for a gas stove? Many houses I'm seeing on the RE listings have electric. Would this be an HOA issue? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:41 PM

183 posts, read 1,003,835 times
Sometimes gas is not available from the road, therefore, the houses have electric. In my subdivision, there is no natural gas line. The only way to have gas is propane.Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 PM

thanks, appreciate your response. If the house has gas heat, can I assume it's an option then?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 AM

183 posts, read 1,003,835 times
Yes, if the house has gas heat, you can have a gas stove. You will need a plumber to install a line.I have no idea what that would cost. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Do you have a basement that the gas line can be run through? If not, is the house a single-story so the attic is right above the kitchen? Depending on where the line needs to go to/from, you could be looking at $500 or $2,500- it's tough to say.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM

273 posts, read 1,751,535 times
No, not a problem if gas heat is available at the house. Just a choice on the builder's part.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Thanks for your responses. The houses we're considering all have basements. One house needs a kitchen update and I figured if we're doing work anyway, I'd change to gas. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM

849 posts, read 3,515,659 times
Default did it myself

years ago with an accessible basement (unfinished ceiling) the materials are negligible $ and if you're redoing, the time for the plumber should be only about an hour. plumbing is no mystery if you like jigsaw puzzles it's just a series of pipe lengths and joints to connect from where the line comes into the house to the kitchen area. Don't know if you'll have to ask the gas co. to turn off the main, check that out once the plumber tells you what he needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Thanks for your responses. The houses we're considering all have basements. One house needs a kitchen update and I figured if we're doing work anyway, I'd change to gas. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
My house (1960s brick ranch) actually still had the gas pipe sticking up out of the floor where at one time there was a gas cook stove in the kitchen. At some point people "updated" it to an electric stove and oven, so it was just a gas pipe stub. Duh. Gas is always better for cooking, plus if the power goes out you can at least still cook.

I was about to switch it back a couple of years ago but we had an ice storm that left us without power for a couple of days (including no heat), so I had a small gas space heater put in where that pipe was instead. Now at least there's something to heat the place if power goes out.

I'd hate to live in an all-electric place. I like the convenience of still being able to take a hot shower (via gas water heater) if the power does go out.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM

857 posts, read 4,867,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Chances are when you pull the stove out you will find that it is set up for both gas and electric. Most builders put both a 220 line and a gas line in because its a lot easier to do it before sheetrock than to try to retrofit it later. Inevitably, if a builder puts only one in then they will get a contract on the house calling for the other type of stove. Never fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta