U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM

29,688 posts, read 27,123,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree DDS has improved as well. Though I did have MAJOR issues in regards to them initially issuing me a license that showed by hyphenated last name in the wrong way. When I got that license I informed them of this but they told me that they could not correct it and that it would still be valid. A few months later I had to get a new passport and submitted all that information to the feds and they rejected my application based on my name on my license issued by DDS. So I had to go back to DDS and ask them to fix it and they continuously refused to fix it (which was just typing my name in the right spot or issuing me a letter stating that they could not do so - they kept telling me they weren't "authorized" to write letters lol). I was there about 5 hours trying to get someone to help me with that issue and told them I wasn't leaving the counter until they fixed it. Magically a very nice African lady came over and asked me what the problem was and she typed my name right and printed me out a new license for free. They could have done that in the first place. Everyone else kept trying to tell me I needed various documents that most people don't have, but because I was/am used to Atlanta service, I take with me whenever I go to a government office there. I call it the "folder of my life." They needed my "marriage application" and was trying to send me off to the county (pass the buck culture here) to get it and didn't believe that I had it when I told them I did and took it out of my folder. Just atrocious service there. Plus the fact that one can't get a DL, tag and title at the same place is poor service. Also you can't use a debit card in 2015 to get your tag so after waiting in line you have to go find an ATM to pay them. Just silly stuff that you don't have to deal with in other areas. But the wait times at DDS is better. I remember it taking 5-7 hours to get a license in Cobb County in 2006. People brought lawn chairs to wait outside in. It was hilarious to me that in OH people complained about their 15-20 minute wait to get license, tag, and title in one sitting lol. I was highly impressed. And it was packed in that building but they had a lot of workers and they were friendly, accommodating, and quick, something in combination I was not used to.
Sounds to me to be a statewide issue. Here's another complaint about DDS/DMV services out of Savannah; funny enough though, this person, who is White, claimed it was an instance of "reverse discrimination."

Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Calling around or emailing to inquire about goods and services in DFW I get calls and emails back immediately. In Atlanta, I got no return calls or emails or even a person to answer the phone. Or the things I'd inquire about just plain wasn't available.
Maybe I'm just different, but when I call to ask about goods or services, I always insist on getting an answer while I'm on the phone and never, ever expect a call back or an email unless the establishment offers to do so and when they offered, I always got a call back. Off the top of my head, that always happened with my salon and my doctor's office. My biggest customer service headaches were trying to get through to Comcast which has nothing to do with Atlanta and dealing with some maintenance issues at my last apartment complex, which was old to begin with and I wasn't paying a lot for my apartment, so I kinda chalked that up to getting what I paid for.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,973,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe I'm just different, but when I call to ask about goods or services, I always insist on getting an answer while I'm on the phone and never, ever expect a call back or an email unless the establishment offers to do so and when they offered, I always got a call back. Off the top of my head, that always happened with my salon and my doctor's office. My biggest customer service headaches were trying to get through to Comcast which has nothing to do with Atlanta and dealing with some maintenance issues at my last apartment complex, which was old to begin with and I wasn't paying a lot for my apartment, so I kinda chalked that up to getting what I paid for.
that is just it! I could hardly get anyone to even answer a phone much less answer a question or give any information lol.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
that is just it! I could hardly get anyone to even answer a phone much less answer a question or give any information lol.
What kind of establishments were you dealing with where you couldn't even get someone to answer the phone???? I'm like genuinely perplexed and have never had that as a recurring issue in any city I've lived in. It's just extremely puzzling to me.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:29 AM

1,151 posts, read 974,137 times

Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 AM

5,617 posts, read 8,542,637 times
everyone thinks that somewhere else is better than where they are at now... grass is always greener effect.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,963,378 times
Quote:
everyone thinks that somewhere else is better than where they are at now... grass is always greener effect.
That might be true, but is irrelevant to real issues impacting us. The lack of infrastructure at Perimeter Mall area is unacceptable. And with no consideration of that, more buildings and people are coming... more State Farm, Mercedes and others.

It's easy to say things are good when you don't have to deal with real issues.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:46 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,973,687 times
Quote:
What kind of establishments were you dealing with where you couldn't even get someone to answer the phone???? I'm like genuinely perplexed and have never had that as a recurring issue in any city I've lived in. It's just extremely puzzling to me.
It was puzzling to me too lol!

Old 04-22-2015, 02:42 PM

15,300 posts, read 7,816,724 times
Quote:
One that has a horrible service culture in Atlanta is the real estate industry. There have been threads here about it as well in regards to calling for apartments and looking for places to live.

Due to me working close to that industry, it was a daily, nagging thing I had to put up with. I got used to it and like I stated initially, I just chuck it up to the culture in Atlanta, but it is nice to call somewhere, they know the answer to your question (and especially don't lie to you and you find out it is a lie and then you are back at square one - it is refreshing to me that where I am now if people don't know, they admit it and refer me to someone who may know what I am looking for). Rarely did I reach people and I would have to harrass the heck out of them via phone and email and in many cases travel to specific locations via car (getting stuck in traffic) just to get answers to specific questions or get paperwork I needed that could have been sent via email if they would have answered their emails. They also would frequently lie about not receiving emails and were always pretty shocked when I told them I had a "read receipt" from them lol.

I haven't had to visit anyone like that over the past year or so and paperwork is usually emailed (or antiquatedly faxed) pretty quickly, usually with 2 days. I deal with a lot of paperwork that needs corrections many times and it was a headache for me. I had one guy not send me corrected paperwork and had to withhold his payment for over 4 months because he wouldn't send it and when his boss called me about it trying to get all upset about not receiving payment, I told him about the missing paperwork and he was about to fire the guy as they were due payments totaling over $300K.

I also dealt a lot with city and county government officials and they are the most difficult to get ahold of and if you visit their office, they are never there. If I didn't get someone before 10 am, I always got the "they're at lunch" excuse all the way through the end of the day. Then when something got hung up, like it always did, they wanted to blame someone else or me or another department, etc. It was a very constant thing and something that I also don't deal with anymore. We won't even get into the municpalities and counties not knowing their own laws, rules and regulations pertaining to specific codes and such as I have had to battle so many of them on language and government hierarchy it was ridiculous. Like I said, my work makes my situation unique and I did just go into what I called "battle mode" and I got a kick of sorts after a while getting through "battlefields" to get stuff done. And FWiW, I had a great reputation due to that (as I prioritize service and paying contractors in a timely fashion) and many of my contractors and vendors were sad to see me go and still keep in touch and complain to me now how they aren't getting paid since I left and no one ever answers the phone or answers their questions.

Banks are also bad and have poor service and a pretty ignorant workforce IMO. I worked in banking prior to my current career and had to fix many issues when they could have been dealt with rather simply at branches or over the phone with customer service. I worked in escalations and was an account manager and got paid very well and had one of the highest "quality" ratings due to me always attempting to have a "one stop shop" and handle anything in one call/meeting no matter how long it took because I didn't want that person coming back to me with the same issue. Most of my co-workers didn't care about stuff like that and were more lassiez-faire with service and were amazed at how I rarely got angry with customers (I see no need to do so) and just went with the problem at hand. I had people who I supervised who actually hung up the phone on customers because they used a cuss word as they didn't like to "hear profanity" lol. In the service world, many times your customers are upset and they use cuss words sometimes, it is much better to keep insisting you want to handle their problem and do what you can to resolve the customer's issues versus hanging up on them or having a hissy fit and threatening to call police over simple things.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
One that has a horrible service culture in Atlanta is the real estate industry. There have been threads here about it as well in regards to calling for apartments and looking for places to live.

Due to me working close to that industry, it was a daily, nagging thing I had to put up with. I got used to it and like I stated initially, I just chuck it up to the culture in Atlanta, but it is nice to call somewhere, they know the answer to your question (and especially don't lie to you and you find out it is a lie and then you are back at square one - it is refreshing to me that where I am now if people don't know, they admit it and refer me to someone who may know what I am looking for). Rarely did I reach people and I would have to harrass the heck out of them via phone and email and in many cases travel to specific locations via car (getting stuck in traffic) just to get answers to specific questions or get paperwork I needed that could have been sent via email if they would have answered their emails. They also would frequently lie about not receiving emails and were always pretty shocked when I told them I had a "read receipt" from them lol.
I didn't own or rent a home in Atlanta, but I did stay in a few apartment complexes. Aside from the last one that I lived in with the maintenance issues, I didn't have any negative customer service experiences when calling or visiting; as a matter of fact, one of the leasing consultants would often make concessions for me when it came to rent without me having to ask, which I appreciated.

Quote:
I also dealt a lot with city and county government officials and they are the most difficult to get ahold of and if you visit their office, they are never there. If I didn't get someone before 10 am, I always got the "they're at lunch" excuse all the way through the end of the day. Then when something got hung up, like it always did, they wanted to blame someone else or me or another department, etc. It was a very constant thing and something that I also don't deal with anymore. We won't even get into the municpalities and counties not knowing their own laws, rules and regulations pertaining to specific codes and such as I have had to battle so many of them on language and government hierarchy it was ridiculous. Like I said, my work makes my situation unique and I did just go into what I called "battle mode" and I got a kick of sorts after a while getting through "battlefields" to get stuff done. And FWiW, I had a great reputation due to that (as I prioritize service and paying contractors in a timely fashion) and many of my contractors and vendors were sad to see me go and still keep in touch and complain to me now how they aren't getting paid since I left and no one ever answers the phone or answers their questions.
I don't have an expectation for any government entity to be efficient; Atlanta isn't the reason they have that reputation, and this is coming from a federal government employee. I just think that goes with the territory and if you come across one that's halfway efficient, it's an anomaly. I don't see how this is Atlanta-specific myself.

Quote:
Banks are also bad and have poor service and a pretty ignorant workforce IMO. I worked in banking prior to my current career and had to fix many issues when they could have been dealt with rather simply at branches or over the phone with customer service. I worked in escalations and was an account manager and got paid very well and had one of the highest "quality" ratings due to me always attempting to have a "one stop shop" and handle anything in one call/meeting no matter how long it took because I didn't want that person coming back to me with the same issue. Most of my co-workers didn't care about stuff like that and were more lassiez-faire with service and were amazed at how I rarely got angry with customers (I see no need to do so) and just went with the problem at hand. I had people who I supervised who actually hung up the phone on customers because they used a cuss word as they didn't like to "hear profanity" lol. In the service world, many times your customers are upset and they use cuss words sometimes, it is much better to keep insisting you want to handle their problem and do what you can to resolve the customer's issues versus hanging up on them or having a hissy fit and threatening to call police over simple things.
I've always gotten good customer service when dealing with my bank branch in metro Atlanta...had no issues on that front whatsoever. *shrugs* And I've worked in customer service before for a big telecommunications company when I lived in Charlotte, and if a customer is being disrespectful and cursing me out, then I would hang up on them as well. Sorry, I'm not anyone's punching bag.

Don't know what else to say at this point, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta