U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,933,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I didn't own or rent a home in Atlanta, but I did stay in a few apartment complexes. Aside from the last one that I lived in with the maintenance issues, I didn't have any negative customer service experiences when calling or visiting; as a matter of fact, one of the leasing consultants would often make concessions for me when it came to rent without me having to ask, which I appreciated.

I don't have an expectation for any government entity to be efficient; Atlanta isn't the reason they have that reputation, and this is coming from a federal government employee. I just think that goes with the territory and if you come across one that's halfway efficient, it's an anomaly. I don't see how this is Atlanta-specific myself.

I've always gotten good customer service when dealing with my bank branch in metro Atlanta...had no issues on that front whatsoever. *shrugs* And I've worked in customer service before for a big telecommunications company when I lived in Charlotte, and if a customer is being disrespectful and cursing me out, then I would hang up on them as well. Sorry, I'm not anyone's punching bag.

Don't know what else to say at this point, LOL.
Normally the complaining and whining about Atlanta isn't over anything unique to this city...but you can't tell some people that. With more life experience and a more worldly viewpoint most folks end up learning these things.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 PM

3,330 posts, read 3,999,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Normally the complaining and whining about Atlanta isn't over anything unique to this city...but you can't tell some people that. With more life experience and a more worldly viewpoint most folks end up learning these things.
Probably true. However, that still doesn't change that I haven't run into the same problems in Texas that I had in Georgia so far. And while all problems aren't unique to Atlanta, no home I ever lived in in Chicago was ever burglarized or shot into, and knock on wood nothing like that has happened to me in Texas so far. It happened in Atlanta though.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Probably true. However, that still doesn't change that I haven't run into the same problems in Texas that I had in Georgia so far. And while all problems aren't unique to Atlanta, no home I ever lived in in Chicago was ever burglarized or shot into, and knock on wood nothing like that has happened to me in Texas so far. It happened in Atlanta though.
My car was stolen when I lived in Charlotte (in a gated apartment complex in a safe area at that); that never happened while I lived in Atlanta. Still had an overall positive experience in Charlotte though...some stuff is just the result of chance, random misfortune, circumstances, etc. But Atlanta could definitely do better in the property crime department in particular...it's too high.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:46 PM

918 posts, read 1,040,333 times
Quote:
Maybe the wide use of section 8 vouchers distributes the criminals all over the atlanta metro area. I lived in a so called "luxury" complex that had plenty of breakins. A traveling consultant got her place broken into and everything "moved" out while she was on a business trips.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah Chicago hardly has any crime. Give me a break.

It's just your experience - not the general climate of things in Atlanta. You can't project your experience onto an entire city as if it's the norm. If that's the case, then I can say I have never experienced any crime whatsoever in 23 years in Atlanta...that's great for me, but I know it doesn't mean that there isn't crime here - just as your experience doesn't mean that crime is more prevalent here.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:43 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,346,578 times
Quote:

It's just your experience - not the general climate of things in Atlanta. You can't project your experience onto an entire city as if it's the norm. If that's the case, then I can say I have never experienced any crime whatsoever in 23 years in Atlanta...that's great for me, but I know it doesn't mean that there isn't crime here - just as your experience doesn't mean that crime is more prevalent here.
Yup.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 PM

3,330 posts, read 3,999,769 times
Quote:

Right....

..all nd Atlanta has been ranked as one of the most dangerous cities for years on end because it really isn't all that bad.

How do you explain Atlanta having a higher crime rate than New York and Chicago if it isn't all that bad?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Right....

..all nd Atlanta has been ranked as one of the most dangerous cities for years on end because it really isn't all that bad.

How do you explain Atlanta having a higher crime rate than New York and Chicago if it isn't all that bad?
Let's talk murder...Atlanta is nowhere near Chicago in that area. Atlanta has a higher rate of petty crimes.

No one said that Atlanta doesn't have the same issue that other cities have. You're the one claiming Atlanta is worse than other cities in certain categories when it's simply not. Your experiences don't match up with everyone's experiences or with reality.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Quote:
Let's talk murder...Atlanta is nowhere near Chicago in that area. Atlanta has a higher rate of petty crimes.

No one said that Atlanta doesn't have the same issue that other cities have. You're the one claiming Atlanta is worse than other cities in certain categories when it's simply not. Your experiences don't match up with everyone's experiences or with reality.
It's beyond ridiculous. And the claims range from pervasive crime to horrible customer service in every possible category to rude residents. The problem is obviously not with Atlanta.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM

15,489 posts, read 7,894,674 times
Quote:

Atlanta's murder rate has been higher than Chicago's for many years. Just because you hear a lot of media stories about Chicago and shootings doesn't mean that it has out of control crime. Chicago is actually one of the safest cities in the country and most of the crime there happens in 2-4 neighborhoods.

Chicago hasn't been in the top 10 of "most dangerous cities" in the past 30 years, while Atlanta has been. You have to take into consideration that the actual city of Chicago has over 4 million residents. Having 400-500 murders a year is very insignificant when you calculate the murder rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta