U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,933,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Certainly there are exceptions, but "stage of life" has a lot to do with where folks live. I think most retirees would rather have some elbow room, live at the beach, live on a lake, etc. Some would prefer the city. I loved the city. Now I like the burbs just fine. Hope to one day leave it all in the rearview mirror.
Both the city and the suburbs have advantages that anyone of any age can enjoy. Some people erroneously love to characterize the suburbs as "sterile enclaves" as if they are all the same. Each one is different and has different areas. Decatur is a huge area with both an urban downtown area and suburban areas with large lots and large homes. It's silly to think that it's all one thing or exactly like all other suburbs when it obviously isn't. Then there's Marietta, Riverdale, Alpharetta, Woodstock, Mableton, Douglasville, etc. - all very different from one another and very different within different areas of each one.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM

5,292 posts, read 5,611,529 times
I lived and went to school in Houston, TX. It was bit of a culture shock, but I got used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That was myexperience once I moved to Texas. I was shocked and overwhelmed at how polite and helpful customer service people were here. Getting my car registered and my license was also a breeze here as well.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
That was myexperience once I moved to Texas. I was shocked and overwhelmed at how polite and helpful customer service people were here. Getting my car registered and my license was also a breeze here as well.
Each individual's experience can easily be different from each other. I have never noticed customer service in Atlanta to be any different than anywhere else. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's awful. Houston is no different and its ridiculous to act as if it is.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 PM

3,330 posts, read 4,000,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I lived and went to school in Houston, TX. It was bit of a culture shock, but I got used to it.

Here in Texas they come up to you and take you around the stores to help you find you need. They never did that in Alanta. In fact, I have walked out of many a store many times in Atlanta for the staff's failure to acknowledge or assist me after I've been standing there waiting for several minutes for someone to help me.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,792,127 times
I avoid eye contact with store staff until I am in their register line if at all possible. I can find what I need on my own, without the upsell, thanks.

Actually - the few times I worked retail back in the day - hovering was to ensure you didn't get shoplifted. lol

Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Here in Texas they come up to you and take you around the stores to help you find you need. They never did that in Alanta. In fact, I have walked out of many a store many times in Atlanta for the staff's failure to acknowledge or assist me after I've been standing there waiting for several minutes for someone to help me.
Yes they do that in Atlanta too. Don't try to make all customer service seem awful just by your limited experience. And people usually only remember the bad situations and often easily forget the plethora of good ones.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:24 PM

15,489 posts, read 7,898,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Whether or not Atlanta "feels" like a big city to you or not, the fact is that it IS a big city and has big city issues very similar to those of other big cities. Your feelings about the city don't always factor into reality. For the record most people don't think Atlanta is great 100% of the time or in every category, but when you complain about the heat you're only talking about little more than 3-4 months at the most, and Toledo has some very hot weather for at least a couple of months too. I would be willing to bet that Atlanta has more pleasant comfortable weather for a longer period in the spring and fall than does Toledo...it's those kinds of comments that draws the attention of some of us because the criticism just isn't really valid

Atlanta's traffic isn't nearly the worst in comparison to other large cities anymore. It normally ranks round 7th or 8th worst, which is about right for Atlanta's size.

Study: Atlanta traffic 7th worst in nation | www.wsbradio.com

Atlanta isn't even in the top 10 according to INRIX (a traffic information organization): Ten cities with the worst traffic
Everything is relative and specific to individuals. I didn't have any criticisms of Atlanta only my perspective and opinion. I repeatedly said that I like Atlanta and even that I have a soft place in my heart for Atlanta. I never experienced any craziness while living there and I didn't not enjoy my time there for the most part. But people do get burned out by the things that make Atlanta, Atlanta.

When someone says something doesn't "feel" a certain way to them, that means it is their opinion. I never said Atlanta wasn't a big city and I also stated that I am excited about the growth in Atlanta and I feel it is becoming more of a contender in the "big city" category.

And Toledo is not nearly as hot as Atlanta. We may get 2 weeks top of weather above 90 degrees. I don't remember 2 days last summer where the temperature was over 90 degrees and it was nice from May through October from the mid 50s-high 80s, mostly the mid 70s-80s and it is like that for the majority of the Spring and Summer and fall until around the end of September most years. It didn't get cold this past winter IMO (and that is an opinion as I don't think 40 degrees is all that cold) until around November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
This is odd. No matter what city I go to, I get treated well in MOST places. Generally speaking, most people at best are neutral moreso than rude. Do I get the ocassional rude person? Yes. That's on very slim occasions. I'll admit I've been rude on occasion as well. I'm sure if people were honest, they would admit they've been rude as well, at some point in life.

People ask me how are the people in Ohio, I ask them how are the people where you're from, because the people are the same. It's all about perspective. I have a good disposition about things. If you're getting excited because you're getting treated well, is it them or you that is causing the MIS-treatment?

Are there rude people in Columbus,Ohio. Yes. They're are wonderful people here as well. Same holds true for most places.

In my life, I would say, the majority of people I come across, are neutral, cordial or friendly. Rude people do cross my path but it's not nearly the majority.

People can sense an aura of warmness coming from me, maybe that's it I don't know. But people "warm up" to me instantly.
That's your opinion. I have run into more rude service workers and business people in Atlanta than anywhere else and I did have contact with people all over the country. When you move there, you'll see the difference and I'm not even saying that it is a bad thing, but it is noticeable and the service issue was something I never got used to in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Originally Posted by residinghere2007
At the bold it is so funny that since I have moved away I am always sooooo excited to be treated well at various places. People in my family think I'm nuts lol

Not surprised. It's nothing else to do but eat at Applebee's and Burger King in that boring city. They should be happy to treat people well since those are only jobs there.
Oddly enough last time I was in Atlanta at the beginning of the month I ate at Applebees lol. Toledo actually has lots of great restaurants. People in Toledo are descendant of a lot of immigrant groups so there is all kinds of cuisine available. I recently at lunch at a Greek restaurant yesterday. There is a resurgence going on there, not to the level of Atlanta but one is starting up where lots of unique and interesting businesses and restaurants are opening in the downtown area, which is one of the main reasons I wanted to come back (other than the higher wages and much lower cost of living). I went to a Lebanese restaurant last week. There is a great sushi place that is not far from my job and more breweries and bars than one could imagine. Most people dont' know much about Toledo and its great restaurants in particular. It is a quiet place and not too flashy and I'm at the point in life where i like regular old stuff and I like old Greek and Lebanese restaurants and good soul food places that have been around for 30-40 years and hole in the walls that will cook stuff to order and Coney Island where I can get a hot dog for 1.25 and Tony Packos where I can get Hungarian Chicken Paprikash (may be spelled wrong but it is delicious lol).

And actually Toledo has a lower unemployment rate than Atlanta and people who have the education and experience like myself would command a higher salary in lots of different fields due to there being a shortage of people in various fields. There are also lots of factory jobs here for unskilled workers. Most any unskilled person can go and get a job at Johnson Control for $10 an hour and not work at fast food places as long as they can pass a drug test. Toledo also has a lot of auto and auto parts factories that employ people and all of those jobs pay more than fast food or retail and many of the reception positions that I used to hire for in Atlanta where people couldn't even get a job for $9 with a bachelor's degree. All of my brothers are not college educated yet they all make $40-$60K per year at factories and live well.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:24 PM

3,330 posts, read 4,000,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yes they do that in Atlanta too. Don't try to make all customer service seem awful just by your limited experience. And people usually only remember the bad situations and often easily forget the plethora of good ones.
My horrible CS experiences in Atlanta the 17 years I lived there weren't limited. They were quite commonplace and the norm actually, also evidenced by the fact that people on these forums other than myself have commented on how bad the service is there. So no, it's not just me.

The bad experiences outweighed the good ones. It seems not caring for your customers is acceptable there, which is why the poor service is so rampant.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that anymore where I live currently. It really is stressful when you are paying for a service or willing to pay for a product or service and those deliving that product or service refuse to do their jobs. I can actually count how many bad customer service experiences I've had since living in Texas. It was only one actually, and the guy just wasn't pleasant. He still did his job well though.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:27 PM

29,945 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
LOL, folks have done that for me in every city I've ever lived in including Atlanta. To hear, for the first time, that this doesn't happen in Atlanta is just downright odd. I get the DMV thing and that's more of a state issue than a city-specific one, but I've never noticed anything atrocious about Atlanta when it came to customer service in general.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:27 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
I dunno. I had a horrid customer experience at the Burleson, Tx Whataburger and a not so good one at the downtown Dallas Fairmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta