U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,934,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
My horrible CS experiences in Atlanta the 17 years I lived there weren't limited. They were quite commonplace and the norm actually, also evidenced by the fact that people on these forums other than myself have commented on how bad the service is there. So no, it's not just me.

The bad experiences outweighed the good ones. It seems not caring for your customers is acceptable there, which is why the poor service is so rampant.

I'm just glad i don't have to deal with that anymore where I live currently. I can actually count how many bad customer service experiences I've had since living in Texas. It was only one actually, and the guy just wasn't pleasant. He still did his job well though.
I laugh every time I read something like this. It's ludicrous to act as if customer service is in some way tied to a particular city. Keep saying whatever you like, but it's obvious that there is more to the story that simply having an overwhelming number of bad customer service experiences.

I have never seen anyone else make such a ridiculous comment - so I'm sorry but it IS just you. Most other people don't make such inane accusations.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I dunno. I had a horrid customer experience at the Burleson, Tx Whataburger and a not so good one at the downtown Dallas Fairmont.
It's so immature for someone to keep making assertions like this. It's like talking about a city's bad drivers or any other general association with a city that is obviously not true. Someone didn't do something right for this guy and he wants to blame all customer service in Atlanta. How silly.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:32 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's so immature for someone to keep making assertions like this. It's like talking about a city's bad drivers or any other general association with a city that is obviously not true. Someone didn't do something right for this guy and he wants to blame all customer service in Atlanta. How silly.
For some reason he and the-poster-who's-name-shall-not-be-mentioned have a sore spot for all things Atlanta.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 PM

3,330 posts, read 4,000,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, folks have done that for me in every city I've ever lived in including Atlanta. To hear, for the first time, that this doesn't happen in Atlanta is just downright odd. I get the DMV thing and that's more of a state issue than a city-specific one, but I've never noticed anything atrocious about Atlanta when it came to customer service in general.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in other places. I just experienced poor customer service more in Atlanta. One of the last things that happened to me there before I moved from there was a woman telling me she was too busy to help me with what I needed and no one was in line behind me lol.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM

15,489 posts, read 7,898,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD;39311011[B
]My horrible CS experiences in Atlanta the 17 years I lived there weren't limited. They were quite commonplace and the norm actually,[/b] also evidenced by the fact that people on these forums other than myself have commented on how bad the service is there. So no, it's not just me.

The bad experiences outweighed the good ones. It seems not caring for your customers is acceptable there, which is why the poor service is so rampant.

I'm just glad i don't have to deal with that anymore where I live currently. I can actually count how many bad customer service experiences I've had since living in Texas. It was only one actually, and the guy just wasn't pleasant. He still did his job well though.
I agree with the bold as well. It was very much the norm get poor service. After a while it didn't bother me as much but it was a nagging thing for me, especially when I traveled to other places and didn't get treated in the same manner. I chuck it up to Atlanta just having a poor service culture. And now I don't see it as much of a negative, out of the ordinary thing there and didn't when I lived there but when you get a regular, nicer sort of service culture in other places, it is very much a noticeable thing. Like when someone says they'll call you at a certain time and they do, it is noticed after not having people call you back when they say they will for so long. Or if you forget something, like I did at the DMV in Ohio and they are willing to use alternates that won't make you have to leave a certain area, that is noticeable. And to me the DDS and the tag/title places in Atlanta were pretty atrocious along with practically every government building. That would be okay but there were similar attitudes and actions as what you find in government in many other industries, especially in the industry I work and it is just tiresome to deal with all the time.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:19 PM

15,489 posts, read 7,898,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I laugh every time I read something like this. It's ludicrous to act as if customer service is in some way tied to a particular city. Keep saying whatever you like, but it's obvious that there is more to the story that simply having an overwhelming number of bad customer service experiences.

I have never seen anyone else make such a ridiculous comment - so I'm sorry but it IS just you. Most other people don't make such inane accusations.
Lots of people have made complaints about customer service in Atlanta. Many people on this forum and plenty of people I know in real life do too.

And all cities and geographic regions have a particular service culture IMO. Businesses also have a service culture for a particular brand. In general, many people do feel that Atlanta has a poor service culture.

And for me, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if it were one or two incidents but in my experience there it is a very regular occurrence and I think it is because I didn't grow up in the area and was used to a different service culture not one that did not prioritize ....I can only say service lol. And that's not saying every place in Atlanta is like that, but it is a prevalent thing. Just like people say New Yorker's are rude, many of them are due to having a really blunt personality and some would see that as rudeness. To me "passing the buck" and not handling your business in a timely fashion is a regular occurrence in Atlanta and is poor service. This sort of thing was a daily occurrence and battle when I worked there. I do the same job in Ohio now and I don't have the same issues I had in Atlanta in regards to responsiveness especially.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM

8,331 posts, read 10,281,587 times
I really noticed this when I first moved here in 1996. Consumer service was awful. It seemed like people either didn't know anything, didn't care, or when they were friendly, they were sleazy and only wanted to see how much money they could get out of you.

I've noticed a marked improvement in this over the years, especially over the past 3 or 4 years.

It might just be that I learned where to go and where to avoid.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 PM

183 posts, read 185,241 times
Look, I love me some Atlanta. I'm a long time resident of the city (22 years & counting). A few years ago I accepted a temporary transfer with my company to help train at our Dallas, TX office. Also, spent a lot of time in Houston visiting my best friend. I was so disoriented in those places when I actually received a callback or could find a friendly worker at a retail establishment that seemed happy to help me. Bottomline, customer service in Atlanta is pretty poor compared to what I experienced in the large Texas metros.

The biggest customer service problems as I see them here are; the lack of prompt follow up, impatience to downright rudeness, lack of available assistance.

Last edited by Poncey; 04-21-2015 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM

3,330 posts, read 4,000,945 times
[quote=Poncey;39312250]
The biggest customer service problems as I see them here are; the lack of prompt follow up, impatience to downright rudeness, lack of available assistance. [/quote]

100% this...

...this was my experience as well and it was much more often than not.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-21-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 05:25 PM

It's still ridiculous to pin "bad customer service" on an entire metro area. There are so many differences in customer service from place to place that you can't possibly characterize cities the size of Atlanta or Houston as one or the other. You may get great service in one place and poor service in the next IN ANY CITY and I think everyone knows this. It's childish to keep claiming otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta