U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM

10,477 posts, read 7,464,538 times

Advertisements

As others have already said: Yes, there is a lot of good stuff on the south side. South side is underrated and there is a good chance (depending on what you are looking for) you can have a better lifestyle living on the south side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,782,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So in the almost 20 years I have lived in Atlanta, I have never had occasion to visit Union City, Fairburn, Palmetto, Lovejoy, etc.

It seems that Walking Dead tourism is changing this a bit though.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM

6,817 posts, read 6,919,458 times
I almost never go south of I-20. To me, Atlanta is everything north of I-20 except maybe Glenwood Park, Turner Field, West End, the Airport, and East Atlanta lol.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 3,051,520 times
If you haven't yet, I strongly consider you all to visit Clayton County International Park. It is a beautiful park, and is the closest beach and water park (manmade) to Atlanta. While you're there you may also wan't to visit Lake Spivey and see the huge estates.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,439,128 times
In my normal everyday life I NEVER have the occasion to go to the northern suburbs. I can say that I do often go to the northern reaches of the actual city of Atlanta usually to shop (the closest Dillard's to me is at Atlantic Station in Midtown, the best Belk is at Phipps Plaza, the Pink Pig is at Macy's Lenox Square, and etc.) I really do not have a reason to go to Perimeter (really second-fiddle compared to Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza don't you think) North Point, Cumberland, Mall of Georgia, or Town Center. I am sure there is nothing wrong with these shopping centers, they just don't offer anything I cannot get closer to home. I do sometimes have the occasion to go to North Dekalb (Stone Mountain Park, I have an Aunt that has moved to the Northlake area, and Northlake Mall definitely has the best J.C. Penny's and Sear's (complete with a LandsEnd department). Still, I could live my entire life without ever setting foot in Cobb, Gwinnett, or outside the Perimeter North Fulton; but I will like to point out that my Metro Brethren from these places may never need to set foot in my Clayton Countian Homeland either, unless they want to get on a place at one of the World's Busiest airports. ;0)

Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM

32 posts, read 27,078 times
If you're religious, you might enjoy the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, Ga.

Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Ga

Old 04-20-2015, 02:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 10,204,708 times
Quote:
In my normal everyday life I NEVER have the occasion to go to the northern suburbs.
This is much easier to do nowadays.

But anyone who has lived in Atlanta for more than 10 years or so will remember a day when in order to visit a Best Buy and many other retailers you had to venture OTP. And even further back before you could get everything online, you had to travel more to find things. I remember having to go to a special hardware store in Lawrenceville to get the Japanese tool required to crack open my Nintendo 64 so I could remove the piece of plastic that prevented Japanese cartridges from fitting in the slot.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:59 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,782,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
In my normal everyday life I NEVER have the occasion to go to the northern suburbs. I can say that I do often go to the northern reaches of the actual city of Atlanta usually to shop (the closest Dillard's to me is at Atlantic Station in Midtown, the best Belk is at Phipps Plaza, the Pink Pig is at Macy's Lenox Square, and etc.) I really do not have a reason to go to Perimeter (really second-fiddle compared to Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza don't you think) North Point, Cumberland, Mall of Georgia, or Town Center. I am sure there is nothing wrong with these shopping centers, they just don't offer anything I cannot get closer to home. I do sometimes have the occasion to go to North Dekalb (Stone Mountain Park, I have an Aunt that has moved to the Northlake area, and Northlake Mall definitely has the best J.C. Penny's and Sear's (complete with a LandsEnd department). Still, I could live my entire life without ever setting foot in Cobb, Gwinnett, or outside the Perimeter North Fulton; but I will like to point out that my Metro Brethren from these places may never need to set foot in my Clayton Countian Homeland either, unless they want to get on a place at one of the World's Busiest airports. ;0)

This is true - I go about as far north as Buckhead, as far east as Decatur, Fayetteville to the South, and well, sad to say, 285 to the West. lol

Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There is certainly much more density, wealth, retail, restaurants, job centers, etc. to the north.

I think that's what the poster was asking.

So let me try to answer the question. Most people end up exploring their cities for various reasons. Maybe you have friends in an area. Maybe a restaurant you want to go to is there. Maybe a store you need is there. For whatever reason, people often travel to other communities for reasons other than simply wanting to explore them. Anyone who has lived in Atlanta 5 years of more has probably had to go to Marietta, Dunwoody, and Alpharetta for one reason or another. This is kind of a natural part of how we become familiar with our city.

So in the almost 20 years I have lived in Atlanta, I have never had occasion to visit Union City, Fairburn, Palmetto, Lovejoy, etc.

That's not to say that NOTHING is happening there. I'm sure there is plenty. It's just not enough of a draw to actually bring someone there who didn't live there.

And this of course, depends what you're into. Before I got interested in discovering new outdoor areas, I had never really been to Lithonia. But now that I've been to Arabia Mountain, I realized that it has something pretty awesome.

The south side of Atlanta is not as explored as the north side by many people. But I'm fond of saying that Atlanta is a city that rewards the patient explorer. There is always something new to uncover.
Well I admit I dont work in the private sector but other than that I don't have any need to ever go to Alpharetta,Roswell,or Sandy Springs.
So yes you are accurate on the job sector front but I never need to go up North for retail.No I take that back,I do go to the North Georgia Premium Outlets maybe twice a year.
I've lived in Atlanta for decades on and off and the furthest North I have ever lived is Buckhead.Never liked the traffic and high cost of living on the North.

Why do some people forget that there is also East and West sides also.Where do they fit in?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I almost never go south of I-20. To me, Atlanta is everything north of I-20 except maybe Glenwood Park, Turner Field, West End, the Airport, and East Atlanta lol.
Well you are missing out.I drive all around this metro and to this day always surprised to se something new I never knew existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or