U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,331 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There is a chance that I might get a job offer in Atlanta, GA which will require me to relocate there. I will be working in Cumberland, just north of the I-75 and I-285 intersection.

I am a single, 27 year old male.
I prefer the urban feel.
I want to meet pretty single women.
Ideally, I would like rent to be less than $1,000 per month, but can afford a little more.

Based on my research so far, Midtown might a good choice for me? What is the typical rent and parking cost there? What other areas should I be looking at?

How do the gun laws in Atlanta compare to Chicago?

I currently do not have a car in Chicago, is a car basically mandatory in Atlanta? Google maps tell me that Midtown to Cumberland is about 20 minutes by car, but 60 minute by bus?!

If I do buy a car, what kind of car should I buy? I've always wanted a Mustang or Camaro, but I heard a lot of people have them in The South? What about the Scion FR-S?

Additionally, what is this "Valorem tax"? If I needed to buy a car, should I buy one here in Illinois or in Georgia? Which is the better option?

What else should I take into consideration while considering this potential job offer and relocation? I don't want any bad surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:08 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,695,080 times
Yes you need a car if your job isn't near Marta. Your job isn't near Marta

You might can get an older one bedroom for that amount in Midtown but not any of the new apartments.

Before the famous troll comes here Atlanta transportation and urban life isn't up to par with Chicago but we do have better looking women, better weather, less taxes, no toll roads, geographically in a better area, etc.

I would recommend the Dunwoody area around Perimeter Mall, West Midtown, Midtown, Downtown, etc.

Dunwoody is technically not urban but it has wanna be urban features and it is next to Marta. Plus you will have a reverse commute. West Midtown is cool. You can hop on Northside Dr or Howell Mill Rd to work. Downtown area check out the apartments in the Old Fourth Ward

Gun laws are pretty relaxed here. We can bring guns to church, on public transportation and into restaurants here if the church/restaurant allow it.

For cars generally speaking parking is free. I would get a car that you can afford

All in all I would move especially since you are young. Give Atlanta or any other city generally speaking a few years just to see something new like I did.

Good luck

Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 AM

112 posts, read 65,799 times
Get a reliable car. Mustang or Camero won't be one. Older Honda Civics are cheap and reliable. Not sure about Scion reliability either way.

I never see anyone openly carrying a gun except LEO's and security guards. Do keep one in your residence. Large caliber is nice.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Yes you need a car if your job isn't near Marta. Your job isn't near Marta

You might can get an older one bedroom for that amount in Midtown but not any of the new apartments.

Before the famous troll comes here Atlanta transportation and urban life isn't up to par with Chicago but we do have better looking women, better weather, less taxes, no toll roads, geographically in a better area, etc.

I would recommend the Dunwoody area around Perimeter Mall, West Midtown, Midtown, Downtown, etc.

Dunwoody is technically not urban but it has wanna be urban features and it is next to Marta. Plus you will have a reverse commute. West Midtown is cool. You can hop on Northside Dr or Howell Mill Rd to work. Downtown area check out the apartments in the Old Fourth Ward

Gun laws are pretty relaxed here. We can bring guns to church, on public transportation and into restaurants here if the church/restaurant allow it.

For cars generally speaking parking is free. I would get a car that you can afford

All in all I would move especially since you are young. Give Atlanta or any other city generally speaking a few years just to see something new like I did.

Good luck
How much does a new apartment in Midtown cost? Can I park for free on the street if I live in Midtown? Is parking easy to find?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,920,860 times
Generally, almost every apartment has it's own parking, especially the newer complexes. New apartments probably average 1400-1500 for a one bedroom in Midtown and rent continues to rise since Midtown is probably the most popular neighborhood in live in the city due to it being extremely walkable for Atlanta standards. You could gnab a studio for around 1k a month ro so.

You may be able to get 1k rent for 1 bedroom in an older complex, but you'll have to look hard. You're not going to get into one of those newer luxury complexes that's in the middle of all the action.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,131,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConsultant1 View Post
Hi,

There is a chance that I might get a job offer in Atlanta, GA which will require me to relocate there. I will be working in Cumberland, just north of the I-75 and I-285 intersection.

I prefer the urban feel.
Ideally, I would like rent to be less than $1,000 per month, but can afford a little more.

Based on my research so far, Midtown might a good choice for me?
It would be a great choice for a young, single lifestyle, but you're going to have a hard time swinging $1000/month right in the heart of midtown. If you can handle roommates then you'll have much better luck sharing a house or apartment in midtown or the surrounding areas at that price.

I was renting a 2 bed, 1.5 bath townhome for $1100 (which was an absolute STEAL) in an area that technically did not allow rentals. When we had to move, the closest match was a 2 bedroom townhome around the Poncey highland area for ~$1300-$1400, but prices are higher now.

Quote:
What is the typical rent and parking cost there?
You won't have to worry about paying for parking in most residential areas around Atlanta
Quote:
What other areas should I be looking at?
If you absolutely must be in town then consider the areas immediately surrounding Georgia Tech and areas between midtown and downtown.

A good portion of the rentals around midtown, cheshire br, VA highland and the like don't really need to advertise very much due to the demand. We have a friend in VA highland who would feed us information about rentals from owners in his neighborhood who didn't want to rent to complete strangers... but even then their house rental prices were around the $2000 mark (and this is 2 years ago).

Quote:
Are you sure that you want to move into the city? If you're an avid firearms enthusiast, then the suburbs will offer more amenities and options in the way of gun stores and gun ranges.

Quote:
I currently do not have a car in Chicago, is a car basically mandatory in Atlanta? Google maps tell me that Midtown to Cumberland is about 20 minutes by car, but 60 minute by bus?!
This is the south and you will need a car. It is technically possible to get by without one, but good luck courting ladies without wheels.

Quote:
If I do buy a car, what kind of car should I buy? I've always wanted a Mustang or Camaro, but I heard a lot of people have them in The South? What about the Scion FR-S?
Then go ahead and get a Mustang or Camaro

Quote:
Additionally, what is this "Valorem tax"? If I needed to buy a car, should I buy one here in Illinois or in Georgia? Which is the better option?
I think the law is structured to hit you up no matter what. I'd probably opt for buying a car here since we have milder weather... but it makes the most sense to buy where prices are cheapest.

Quote:
What else should I take into consideration while considering this potential job offer and relocation? I don't want any bad surprises.
Just the standard stuff. Atlanta is a big town. Even if you move into an area you don't like when you get here, there are plenty of other parts of town to consider.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 AM

Since you are new to Atlanta and most walkable apartments are over $1000 per month I would recommend just getting a regular non walkable apartment near your job. You can get a one bedroom in a nice area starting out at $750 per month. Once you settle in and learn the area and traffic patterns then look for walkable apartments in your price range.

Consider contacting Promove.com and they can help you a little more with walkable areas

Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM

11 posts, read 10,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConsultant1 View Post
Hi,

I prefer the urban feel.

Based on my research so far, Midtown might a good choice for me? What is the typical rent and parking cost there? What other areas should I be looking at?

Get yourself a red convertible mustang and the women will come but you have to decide are they coming for you or are they coming for the car minus a car note

Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,920,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Are you sure that you want to move into the city? If you're an avid firearms enthusiast, then the suburbs will offer more amenities and options in the way of gun stores and gun ranges.
I mean, there's a gun range being built right near Atlantic Station so the city is pretty lax when it comes to guns. I think there are gun stores in the Buckhead area. You have to remember, a decent part of Atlanta is still rather conservative.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM

They got a shooting range with a bar in it in Powder Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or