U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:12 AM

17 posts, read 13,432 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm new to the traffic here, but do people always drive on the shoulders? It's the first time I've seen it, and it genuinely pissed me off. It was for an exit off 285, and everyone was doing fine. Until 1 solitary car decided, nope, don't want to wait another 5 minutes, shoulder driving time. That, literally, opened the flood gates until finally, the shoulder was jam packed with cars, and when I finally made it to where I needed to exit, I had to wait for someone else to let me in, thus slowing down the cars behind me.

Do people not realize what the shoulder is for? It's for emergency vehicles. It's not so that you can shave 5 minutes off your drive time. I drive 180 miles a day round trip, and I'm NEVER late. If you're running late, you should plan better. Don't risk someone else's safety or even life, because you want to save time.

I personally believe if an ambulance was stuck behind these cars on the shoulder, and the person they were trying to get to died, every single one of these fools should be charged with involuntary manslaughter. It's ridiculous, and it's selfish.

Anyway, that's my rant. Have a good day folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:35 AM

9,128 posts, read 17,152,817 times
There are some shoulders that are officially open to traffic during certain times of the day.

Every once and a while the GSP (Georgia State Patrol) and/or Local/County Police/Sheriff
Go on a crack down and issue tickets by the dozen. ...

But if some big incident happens, that can draw the officers that are doing the enforcement to the incident, and stops the ticketing.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 AM

23,414 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There are some shoulders that are officially open to traffic during certain times of the day.

Every once and a while the GSP (Georgia State Patrol) and/or Local/County Police/Sheriff
Go on a crack down and issue tickets by the dozen. ...

But if some big incident happens, that can draw the officers that are doing the enforcement to the incident, and stops the ticketing.
And the flex shoulder idea was a bad one, for this cheap state. What is a driver suppose to do in an emergency? Pull over and hope someone doesn't rear end them?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 AM

9,128 posts, read 17,152,817 times
Hope they can make to one of the little pull outs, or on to grass next to the flex lanes.

I'm not a fan of them either, was ok with them as Bus Lanes, but open to normal traffic does not really seem to help anything.

I;m Sort of OK with them a queue space for exits that get backed up, so the Exit traffic queues in the shoulder, and does not block the travel lanes, But then there always is someone who does not want to wait, zooms to exit, then blocked the travel lane attempting to merge in, and someone who's been queued for 10min is not going to let them merge in.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:28 AM

1,189 posts, read 803,105 times
Do a good bit of driving that is work related. Unless there is some sort of really huge backup, rarely see cars using the shoulder, even to exit.

Sorry you have to drive 180 miles per day, hope that doesn't last too long for sanity's sake. Also, if that kind of a drive is something you don't foresee changing any time soon, you may want to try to not let these kind of things affect as much. Easier said than done, of course.

Some folks may have driving tips on how to relax, observe, and allow so as not to get too "genuinely pissed off" at other's selfish if not dangerous maneuvers.

As always, best of luck and be safe.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 AM

225 posts, read 200,477 times
I saw someone get a ticket for doing this. They were exiting off of 285 onto Peachtree Dunwoody, and decided since they were turning right, it would be clever to drive up the shoulder and bypass the queue. Local police cruiser put the kibosh on that.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,763,459 times
I drive 400 South every morning from Northridge to 285. My observation: the shoulder lane actually seems to slow traffic down, at least down to the exit for the North Springs Marta station, where all those people have to merge back into regular traffic. I don't feel any relief from the extra lane being open.

I've seen what the OP is talking about. There's always a gigantic backup on 285 Eastbound to get on 400 North. People regularly drive long distances on the shoulder to get to the Glenridge exit as opposed to waiting in the 400-bound traffic for their turn to exit. It is annoying and could certainly be dangerous.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 AM

23,414 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Hope they can make to one of the little pull outs, or on to grass next to the flex lanes.

I'm not a fan of them either, was ok with them as Bus Lanes, but open to normal traffic does not really seem to help anything.

I;m Sort of OK with them a queue space for exits that get backed up, so the Exit traffic queues in the shoulder, and does not block the travel lanes, But then there always is someone who does not want to wait, zooms to exit, then blocked the travel lane attempting to merge in, and someone who's been queued for 10min is not going to let them merge in.
Changing a tire on grass or other non secured surface is dangerous.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM

363 posts, read 309,706 times
I cannot force other drivers to adopt what I perceive to be better driving habits therefore I do not allow myself to be enraged when they do stupid things such as driving in the shoulder. The only actions I can control are my own; Eventually they will probably do it and get caught, and even if they don't my peace of mind is not worth being disrupted by their selfish driving behavior.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 AM

1,124 posts, read 775,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
I cannot force other drivers to adopt what I perceive to be better driving habits therefore I do not allow myself to be enraged when they do stupid things such as driving in the shoulder. The only actions I can control are my own; Eventually they will probably do it and get caught, and even if they don't my peace of mind is not worth being disrupted by their selfish driving behavior.
How I wish I had your calm and resolve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or