Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 PM

36 posts, read 63,775 times

Advertisements

Well I'll add my 2 cents, even though we are just moving to ATL too (from SC).

We were very interested in a particular school in Midtown and considered living there. We looked in Decatur, Brookhaven, and Buckhead. Now our budget was more like $600,000, so that's a big difference. But at the end of the day we chose JC. It had a lot more of a family feel and we could get a lot more of the yard/ home we wanted. We were really excited about the great schools too. I don't know about all this CA being better business but you might just enjoy a nice hot summer day - the seasons are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
What??!!! Huh? LOL.

Are you seriously suggesting a Californian will like a nice "hot" (southern hot, not California hot) day?

Please stop. In Southern Cali, 75-85 is hot and most of us here in Georgia would LOVE that weather. That's hot enough. We don't need the 90s and 100 degree weather but alas that is what we deal with here. Do you actually like 90 degree weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa727 View Post
Well I'll add my 2 cents, even though we are just moving to ATL too (from SC).

We were very interested in a particular school in Midtown and considered living there. We looked in Decatur, Brookhaven, and Buckhead. Now our budget was more like $600,000, so that's a big difference. But at the end of the day we chose JC. It had a lot more of a family feel and we could get a lot more of the yard/ home we wanted. We were really excited about the great schools too. I don't know about all this CA being better business but you might just enjoy a nice hot summer day - the seasons are nice.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 PM

36 posts, read 63,775 times
I hate the West Coast. I think it's way overrated, as is their weather. I love nice hot Southern summers. Neither I nor my children like to swim unless it's closer to 90 with nice warm water. Our beaches have much warmer water too. I can barely swim in the Pacific. Not to mention it's so much nicer to have real seasons. Most people would agree with that. I'm just saying why are we acting like it's such a step down to have to move to the East Coast? I can see the NE is rough but the South is great, IMO. And as for Buckhead vs JC, I feel like sure, it would be fun to live in Buckhead for the once a month that most parents get a date night. But every other day I would rather my kids have a bigger yard and more of a family feel.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Take a look at Brookwood and Ansley Park.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa727 View Post
I hate the West Coast. I think it's way overrated, as is their weather. I love nice hot Southern summers. Neither I nor my children like to swim unless it's closer to 90 with nice warm water. Our beaches have much warmer water too. I can barely swim in the Pacific. Not to mention it's so much nicer to have real seasons. Most people would agree with that. I'm just saying why are we acting like it's such a step down to have to move to the East Coast? I can see the NE is rough but the South is great, IMO. And as for Buckhead vs JC, I feel like sure, it would be fun to live in Buckhead for the once a month that most parents get a date night. But every other day I would rather my kids have a bigger yard and more of a family feel.
I guess to each her own. I don't particularly like sweating everytime I leave the house or car from June until September.

I also don't swim in the ocean so there is no Pacific Coast water temp vs Atlantic Coast water temp for me. However, I do like being able to go to the beach every day of the year and I did that easily in LA. It was a blast. Having grown up in Chicago, I don't particular need or desire winter.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:13 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Take a look at Brookwood and Ansley Park.
I have a good friend that lives in Brookwood and raised her children there. She absolutely loves it; the neighborhood is very social and residents really look out for each other.
You already know how I feel about both of these neighborhoods.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:18 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I guess to each her own. I don't particularly like sweating everytime I leave the house or car from June until September.

I also don't swim in the ocean so there is no Pacific Coast water temp vs Atlantic Coast water temp for me. However, I do like being able to go to the beach every day of the year and I did that easily in LA. It was a blast. Having grown up in Chicago, I don't particular need or desire winter.
LS, are you still living in Buckhead? I know you were mulling over a move a while ago.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:36 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

I actually miss Winter badly. Not saying I like ~5 months of never ending gloom, but I badly miss the occasional blizzard. So much so that we've been considering moving back to Chicago (more for the city than the weather though).

Regarding ocean water temps, don't care, I never swim anywhere sharks are present. I know the odds, but that's one game I aint playin!

Old 07-26-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LS, are you still living in Buckhead? I know you were mulling over a move a while ago.
Yes, still here in Buckhead!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times

The top ten high schools in the state of Georgia.

Hi Bromeg,

Sorry for being late to the party. I lived and worked in West LA and Irvine right out of college, and now reside in the beautiful golf course community of St Marlo (Duluth/Johns Creek) where Ansley Park also lives. Therefore hopefully I can give you some insight about this area. Buckhead is more like Beverly Hills and Brent Wood. The area is extremely affluent, but at the same time the school system is not so great where you will mostly like have to go private for your kids.

Newport Beach is the wealthiest city per capita with a population of over 70,000 in the U.S. The city of Johns Creek ranks #9. There is nothing like the lifestyle of Newport Beach here, perhaps the closing thing to it is Sea Island coast of GA. However, if you are looking for the similar South Orange County feel in metro Atlanta with an excellent school system, you want to be in either Alpharetta, Johns Creek/South Forsyth, or Milton.

Johns Creek's/South Forsyth demographics is very very similar to that of Irvine with a fast growing, vibrant Asian community nested among the 10-10-10 school zone. If you are looking for a similar South OC experience without the coastal beaches 20 minutes away, and with an excellent public school system, I think you would be very happy in either Alpharetta, Johns Creek, or even Milton. If you are looking for a Mission Viejo/Tustin feel move to Alpharetta. If you are looking for a Coto de Caza feel, move to Milton. If you are looking for the multi-cultural Irvine feel, Johns Creek will be your best bet. Hope this information helps with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromeg View Post
So we are another family (2 kids in college, and a 9 and 6 yr old) moving from California (newport beach) to Atlanta- both my husband and I work from home so we don't have commuting issues- what we are looking for is a home where the schools are great and their are kids everywhere-
We looked in Johns Creek and I'm still undecided as to whether I want to be that far - and we never saw anyone- people seem to stay inside their HUGE houses- the houses have a "track" home feel and everything seems so big- can't even imagine air conditioning those homes (we haven't had air conditioning for 12 yrs!)
Currently we are in a small house, walking distance to the beach and my kids are outside playing all of the time-with tons of things walking/biking distance

We have always done well with our home purchases and we are wondering if Buckhead is a safer option for our family- after driving around the area a bit there seemed to be more activity going on- I hate to send our kids to private but can't get a very good feel on any decent public schools near Buckhead-

Our budget is $1M or less but would prefer to spend closer to $800K (or less of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta