Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 794 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Atlanta from Dallas. I will be working at the Children's hospital on the Emory campus and my husband recently accepted a job in downtown Decatur. We are looking to buy a house with a Max budget of 400K. It is important that I have an easy commute to the hospital - under 10-15 minutes. We really want a house with a yard (we have a dog and like to grill during the summer). We currently do not have children, but will likely in the near future, so school ratings are definitely on my radar of important information when buying a house.

We currently live in a neighborhood where we can walk to restaurants/bars, but are finding that neighborhoods like this in the area are out of our price range. We were initially looking in the Decatur area, but it seems that our budget is a little too tight for most of those houses. An area that seems to fit our commute requirements and budget is the Decatur area of Druid hills (zip 30030 but outside of the Decatur school district) as well as some parts of Atlanta area of druid hills (zip 30307). (also I am very confused by the unincorporated Dekalb areas in general)

On the crime maps, the area looks generally safe (all green at least). And when we have driven through the area, it at least feels like I could go for a run alone with my dog during the daytime without problems. The lots also seem a little larger where we would have more space. I have read mixed reviews on the Fernbank elementary school, but at least seems like it would be above average for the metro area school (correct me if I am wrong) and has a 9/10 rating on the great schools ratings.

My biggest concern, is that it seems like the houses sit on the market for a prolonged period of time and many have had to do price reductions (compared to some of the other areas we have considered where houses are selling in less than a week). Is there something that I am missing that makes this area less desirable? I may have to relocate again in 4-5 years, so having something that is re-sellable is important.

Any information would be helpful!

Also I apologize if this kind of question already exists, but couldn't find it when I searched the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Druid Hills is a really nice area of the metro and borders the really booming and hot Eastern neighborhoods of Atlanta and Decatur. Prices will probably continue to increase in that area over the years and with that, schools will naturally get better.

Decatur is so expensive because it's so desirable, great location,walkable, and it has arguably the best public schools in the state.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:05 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Druid Hills/Toco Hills.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
The area you are speaking about is in unincorporated DeKalb County. DeKalb County government and the DeKalb County School system are both kind of a mess and I think some (many?) potential buyers are sometimes hesitant to buy in DeKalb.

That said, a young family member and her husband just purchased in the Hawthorne Elementary district and houses seem to be moving there. Like you, they don't have children yet and figured two things -- if the school won't work, they will either move or use private.

You could also consider the Grady High School district, lots of Emory folks there. (this is in City of Atlanta)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta