Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 18,393 times

Advertisements

Purchase budget of $425k-$475k.
Could stretch just a little above but not comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,390,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg8trs View Post
Purchase budget of $425k-$475k.
Could stretch just a little above but not comfortably.
Okay yeah, you could get into brookhaven and decatur with that budget. Just remember, living in Decatur will come a premium with those sky high property taxes! Smyrna/Vinings has some very nice parts; both my mother and aunt live over there. Vinings proper is very very nice!

Here's a good website to check out in town neighborhoods and suburbs near the city. I love this site. Atlanta Home Search | Metro Atlanta GA Homes for Sale | NEST ATLANTA. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,336,272 times
For your children, I would stretch it for Decatur City if I were you.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 PM

352 posts, read 1,421,020 times
We live in the area of West West Nancy Creek between Ashford Dunwoody and PT Dunwoody and love it. Great safe family friendly area. Have three kids at Montgomery and are very happy with the school. As others have said Montgomery has very high parental involvement. As for Chamblee Middle most all the kids we know who have gone there from Montgomery are in the gifted program which has good reviews. Plenty of others are also going private for middle and high (such as ourselves) but we would have gone private anyway wherever we were living in Atlanta.

Be aware properties values are rising fast in this area as its no longer under the radar. Right now I think you can still get something decent for about $425-$475 but I can see them continuing to rise big time.

Another plus for this area is it is a reasonable commute to anywhere in Atlanta. In the past I worked in Alpharetta and my wife in Atlanta station and both are easy drives. I can do downtown in 30 minutes easy even in rush hour. Traffic never seems bad to me, its once you get outside the 285 it turns into a nightmare. Also worth mentioning is how close it is to Medical center Marta if you every have to fly anywhere. I always use Marta for the airport. Last but not least its pretty walkable to the great parks, shops restaurants and of course the school. This will only improve with the new sidewalks and infrastructure going in.

Last edited by blackrabbit; 05-15-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:28 AM

253 posts, read 1,177,600 times
Are you signed up on Nextdoor.com? Someone posted a home in Murphy Candler that you may want to look at. (I am semi-familiar with the area as I live nearby, but not sure if it is in the spot you are looking for).

Old 05-18-2015, 02:10 PM

26 posts, read 26,328 times
Default Montgomery ES and Soccer

I have 3 kids in Montgomery school and could not be happier. Real Estate in the area is booming due to the school and the location.
Murphey Candler, Gainsborough, Sexton Woods are all great options. Some of the areas are Chamblee and some are Brookhaven that feed Montgomery.
As other posters have said this location is a dream for traffic if you get it right. Plenty of neighbor hood roads to make it out to the main arteries and highways.
I particularly like Sexton Woods, its hidden, tree lined and affordable (fixer uppers at 250K , new builds in high 7s).
For girls soccer, you could do a rec league at the Y or Chamblee has an excellent co-ed program.
For club soccer Concorde Fire is excellent and they have home fields on Ashford Dunwoody Road.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 PM

89 posts, read 100,655 times
Default Nice researching....any advice to share??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg8trs View Post
My family is moving to Atlanta from northern CA in July.

I will be working at Coca-Cola downtown and my wife will be working from home / need airport access.
Looking for a commute <40 minutes (otherwise, we'd be in Alpharetta or East Cobb...)

We are looking hard at Dunwoody and the Murphey-Candler Park area.
With rising 3rd and 5th graders, the immediate need is elementary school quality - Montgomery, Dunwoody, Vanderlyn, or Austin seem to be the best options. We'll need to decide on middle school and beyond.

What do you know about that North Brookhaven area specifically?
Driving through it, it seems like an active, family-oriented area.
It seems a little more accessible to I-285 than winding your way through Dunwoody, but maybe I was just going the slowest way (up Chamblee-Dunwoody Rd).

Any thoughts are on the area or Montgomery ES greatly appreciated.

Also, if you know of girls' youth soccer in that vicinity, we are interested in that as well.

Thanks
I'm looking to move to Atlanta from Memphis. Single mom (5th grade girl) with 1 dog. My boyfriend moved there last summer to start a company. Now that its stable and running were looking to move. I currently work from home for a start up company.

I've been on this site researching much like yourself. I am not familiar with Atlanta like you are. Its going to be a bit of a shock I'm sure. Much more expensive than 775 per month in rent.

I'm a experienced paralegal and haven't received any responses in my hunt for a job in ATL. What kind of work from home does your wife do? Can you share any advice for a young couple of renters with an 11yr old and a dog?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,601,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofanxiety View Post
I'm looking to move to Atlanta from Memphis. Single mom (5th grade girl) with 1 dog. My boyfriend moved there last summer to start a company. Now that its stable and running were looking to move. I currently work from home for a start up company.

I've been on this site researching much like yourself. I am not familiar with Atlanta like you are. Its going to be a bit of a shock I'm sure. Much more expensive than 775 per month in rent.

I'm a experienced paralegal and haven't received any responses in my hunt for a job in ATL. What kind of work from home does your wife do? Can you share any advice for a young couple of renters with an 11yr old and a dog?
Please start your own thread. You will get much better advice that way.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM

89 posts, read 100,655 times
I have tried that. Unfortunately it wasn't as informative as this thread. My apologies.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,944 times
Hi- everyone talks about sky high property taxes in City of Decatur? What percentage are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta