Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:22 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

According to this dude from Long Island who's moving to California but has visited Atlanta once or twice in the past, Tyrone is now a 'ghetto" and Peachtree City isn't far behind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Bomb View Post
An Island of relative affluence surrounded declining suburbs like Tyrone and continuing trend of the WIC and Obamaphone crowd moving south (Clayton, Henry, Coweta Counties) doesn't sound like a good investment to me. Honestly it seems like the kind of place that supplies easy targets for things like carjackings and what not.

Atlanta is nicest in its northern suburbs and it's far western (Paulding) areas. I wouldn't buy a home in Atlanta outside of North Fulton which likely won't decline because it's convenient and filled with rich people, outside of that the trend seems to be having to move every few years because of ghetto creeping in. I would rent in Peachtree City but never for more than 2 years.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post39531602
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 AM

82 posts, read 120,597 times
I'm a native. Here in my opinion are the 'ghetto burbs':

All of South Fulton
All of Clayton
Basically the whole of the southern suburbs with the exception of Peachtree City
All of Rockdale/Conyers these days
Most of Dekalb with the exception of Dunwoody, Druid Hills, Tucker, Brookhaven and Decatur
South Cobb, Powder Springs, Lithia Springs, Mableton, Austell, Vinings, Smyrna area
All of Gwinnett beside Duluth and maybe Suwanee

Frankly it's quicker to list the non-ghetto burbs:
North Fulton
Forsyth
East Cobb/Marietta (mostly)
Kennesaw
Peachtree City
Hiram and Dallas

Old 06-03-2015, 06:31 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post

All of South Fulton
All of Clayton
Basically the whole of the southern suburbs with the exception of Peachtree City
Most of Dekalb with the exception of Dunwoody, Druid Hills, Tucker, Brookhaven and Decatur
South Cobb, Powder Springs, Lithia Springs, Mableton, Austell, Vinings, Smyrna area

North Fulton
Forsyth
Kennesaw
Peachtree City
Hiram and Dallas
I'm a native, too. You are way off here.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
According to this dude from Long Island who's moving to California but has visited Atlanta once or twice in the past, Tyrone is now a 'ghetto" and Peachtree City isn't far behind ...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post39531602
Your typical CD drive-by.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm a native, too. You are way off here.
It's just my opinion. I grew up in North Atlanta in the Morningside Drive area and I'm 35. The city has gotten a lot better but I cannot say the same for the suburbs. It's not secret that although lots of good folks have transplanted here, along with them came a lot of trash from New York, Detroit, Oakland CA etc who were looking for the Suburban American Dream that their section 8 vouchers could afford and they found it in Austell, Forest Park, the vast majority of Dekalb and Gwinnett in places like Stone Mountain and Norcross and Forest Park.

I used to have family in Norcross, it used to be very nice like how South Forsyth is now. Frankly these days Beaver Ruin Road is like a suburban English Avenue, replace Crips with MS13.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:

All of South Fulton
All of Clayton

North Fulton
Forsyth
Kennesaw
Peachtree City
Hiram and Dallas
Vinings, a ghetto? Only in the eyes of those who would rather live off Mount Paran or West Paces...

Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:

All of South Fulton
All of Clayton

North Fulton
Forsyth
Kennesaw
Peachtree City
Hiram and Dallas
Native ***** apparently.

Oh ... and all you people declaring Peachtree City the only "non-ghetto" place on the southside might be interested to know that it's also the only place in Fayette County that has subsidized housing and Section 8 apartments. South Fayette is where you'll find million dollar mansions in gated golf course communities or on 10-acre mini estates. And North Fayette? That just happens to be the 2nd wealthiest majority black census tract in the United States. In fact, the average black household in Fayette County earns more than the average white household. That's one nice ghetto!

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-03-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM

371 posts, read 456,515 times
Quote:
It's just my opinion. I grew up in North Atlanta in the Morningside Drive area and I'm 35. The city has gotten a lot better but I cannot say the same for the suburbs. It's not secret that although lots of good folks have transplanted here, along with them came a lot of trash from New York, Detroit, Oakland CA etc who were looking for the Suburban American Dream that their section 8 vouchers could afford and they found it in Austell, Forest Park, the vast majority of Dekalb and Gwinnett in places like Stone Mountain and Norcross and Forest Park.

I used to have family in Norcross, it used to be very nice like how South Forsyth is now. Frankly these days Beaver Ruin Road is like a suburban English Avenue, replace Crips with MS13.
Could never really matter if you're a native or where you grew up. Things change fast in metro Atlanta! The families living in the suburbs now are the best authority. I agree with much of your list, but you are wayyyy off regarding certain areas... especially Vinings and Smyrna. I wouldn't call those areas ghetto, even though Smyrna has small pockets of crime, it's overall pretty nice/desirable.

I suppose the issue is that most suburbs, hell, most cities too, have areas that can be called "ghetto" even if the city/town/burb isn't ghetto as a whole. Case in point: Marietta!! The "projects" of Marietta are pretty rough.. but most people look at it like the quintessential American suburb (which it is, mostly!). Marietta may have some of the best schools but it also has Osborne.. remember that.

And since when is Powder Springs ghetto? It's just kinda country, in my opinion..

Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And you honestly have no idea why that is do you?

HINT: That's not Decatur, that's unincorporated DeKalb County.
Thats why i said Suburban edge, its outside the "City Limits" but has a Decatur address

Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM

I still live here and drive around everyday. I'm actually in Brookhaven right now.

I don't know if y'all are delusional or are trying to sell real estate but to say that North Fayetteville County is nice just blows my mind, nice compared to Bankhead Courts in the mid 90s perhaps but that ain't sayin' much. I have avoided posting on the Atlanta forum of this site until today because I have seen people say the most foolish things like how "Forest Park or Stone Mountain are safe and great communities" again great and safe compared to what? Cause it's positively 3rd world compared to where I live now with my son in Garden Hills which isn't even close to the nicest part of Buckhead.

A year ago I was almost tempted to purchase in the area zoned for Forsyth Central, it's beautiful there but my father talked me out of it by saying that at one time even the ghettoiest ghettoes in like College Park were once shiny and new, and if the "demographic history" of suburban Metro Atlanta is any indication of what will happen eventually even Cumming will succumb to "the flood" and become another "ghetto burb". The only places I think are safe are places in North Fulton and North Atlanta, which have concentrations of real wealth and are established and too pricey for Tanqueesha and her 5 fatherless children to get a place with her voucher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta