Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 49,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Those would be outer burbs. Inner Ring in the context of Atlanta is ITP these days.
Outer burbs would be more like Newnan, Cumming, Canton. Gwinnett, Cobb, Clayton, Dekalb and North Fulton are the inner burbs of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:07 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:

Which is why I specifically stayed away in my homesearch from 1990s+ neighborhoods. I don't want anything to do with HOAs.
I think people should realize, too, that the in-town condo developments that many of the faux urban planners here champion also have HOAs, but they are not marginalized and antagonized like those suburban communities with HOAs.

Lots of people who live in HOA communities are not necessarily a fan of them. But if you look at where and how the Metro Atlanta development has taken place over the past 30 years, it has resulted in lots of HOA communities. Berating all people who live in HOAs is casting many unwarranted stones.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:20 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippianInMemphis View Post
Outer burbs would be more like Newnan, Cumming, Canton. Gwinnett, Cobb, Clayton, Dekalb and North Fulton are the inner burbs of Atlanta.
Those would be exurbs. North Fulton and DeKalb would be inner burbs. Gwinett, Cobb, Clayton - depending on where you are range from regular old fringe suburb to exurb. It occurs to me that people who are primarily auto-dependent have a different sense of scale from what is considered a pedestrian range.

Rule of Thumb (hard to imagine with our barebones transit system), pretty much anything with the radius of the ends of the lines of MARTA is considered inner ring. I guess in Atlanta, barring direct transit access - we need to talk about the places Adjacent to CoA that were built pre-WWII. Places where people lived and could get to the city, before there were automobiles. and when there were trollies to get you everywhere. Once you pass that point you are in suburb, exurb territory

Hate to say it, but wiki has the most succinct definition of "inner suburb":

"In the United States, inner suburbs (sometimes known as "first-ring" suburbs) are the older, more populous communities of a metropolitan area that experienced urban sprawl before the Post–World War II baby boom, thus significantly predate those of their outer suburban or exurban counterparts."

Inner suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I think people should realize, too, that the in-town condo developments that many of the faux urban planners here champion also have HOAs, but they are not marginalized and antagonized like those suburban communities with HOAs.

Lots of people who live in HOA communities are not necessarily a fan of them. But if you look at where and how the Metro Atlanta development has taken place over the past 30 years, it has resulted in lots of HOA communities. Berating all people who live in HOAs is casting many unwarranted stones.

lol - this is why I wouldn't buy a condo either.

I do not agree with the principle of an HOA, flat out. Don't really care what type of housing it is in. if you choose differently you choose differently. It isn't my cup of tea. I don't see where anyone is berating you for your choice though. Just saying they wouldn't choose it.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:30 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Those would be exurbs. North Fulton and DeKalb would be inner burbs. Gwinett, Cobb, Clayton - depending on where you are range from regular old fringe suburb to exurb. It occurs to me that people who are primarily auto-dependent have a different sense of scale from what is considered a pedestrian range.

Rule of Thumb (hard to imagine with our barebones transit system), pretty much anything with the radius of the ends of the lines of MARTA is considered inner ring. I guess in Atlanta, barring direct transit access - we need to talk about the places Adjacent to CoA that were built pre-WWII. Places where people lived and could get to the city, before there were automobiles. and when there were trollies to get you everywhere. Once you pass that point you are in suburb, exurb territory

Hate to say it, but wiki has the most succinct definition of "inner suburb":

"In the United States, inner suburbs (sometimes known as "first-ring" suburbs) are the older, more populous communities of a metropolitan area that experienced urban sprawl before the Post–World War II baby boom, thus significantly predate those of their outer suburban or exurban counterparts."

Inner suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Areas served by the old streetcar network? Decatur, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, Smyrna, Brookhaven.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Areas served by the old streetcar network? Decatur, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, Smyrna, Brookhaven.

Yes! I would put Smyrna in the Inner Ring category - but I am on the fence. Sandy Springs is more inner ring to me now, because you can still use the Train to get there.

But I guess - to get deeper into that conversation - would places like Smyrna and Sandy Springs actually be considered Edge Cities as opposed to suburbs of Atlanta, since they have their own healthy commercial centers?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
Don't forget that there is a lot of low-density, suburban-style housing in the City of Atlanta itself. Suburban-style living is not exclusive to the actual suburbs.

I also think that the big problem is commuting. Living in the suburbs (especially if you have a family) is good, but the commutes are not, especially if you live in, say, Canton or Woodstock but work in Buckhead or Midtown or Perimeter Center. Hopefully, the rise of telecommuting and the reduction in opposition to mass transit by the state government and suburban counties leads to more options for commuters.

- skbl17

Old 05-13-2015, 02:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
I don't see where anyone is berating you for your choice though. Just saying they wouldn't choose it.
This is what "zedsmith" said: I don't think I'd ever move to east cobb though. A bunch of right-libertarians who still want HOAs.

"Who still want HOAs" is linked to a certain profile of people the poster has in mind. It is casting a broad net and stereotyping.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
This is what "zedsmith" said: I don't think I'd ever move to east cobb though. A bunch of right-libertarians who still want HOAs.

"Who still want HOAs" is linked to a certain profile of people the poster has in mind. It is casting a broad net and stereotyping.

true. I wouldn't say right-libertarians have the lock on wanting HOAs. They do sorta have a lock on East Cobb though. lol

Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Don't forget that there is a lot of low-density, suburban-style housing in the City of Atlanta itself. Suburban-style living is not exclusive to the actual suburbs.

I also think that the big problem is commuting. Living in the suburbs (especially if you have a family) is good, but the commutes are not, especially if you live in, say, Canton or Woodstock but work in Buckhead or Midtown or Perimeter Center. Hopefully, the rise of telecommuting and the reduction in opposition to mass transit by the state government and suburban counties leads to more options for commuters.

- skbl17
yes - this is what I was originally trying to say. There is plenty of Archetypal "suburban" housing inside COA, and ITP, that is also served by transit that you can have the best of both worlds here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta