U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM

2,501 posts, read 1,619,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I really don't have to say any more. But I will...

This person is promoting a culture and idea that is toxic. An idea that gets people hurt, killed, or given a criminal record. What's next Ms. Bottoms? Are you going to come out with an anti-snitching platform?

The mayor needs to come out and scold her for this and re-engage the campaign to stop running from the cops. Too many (not most!) of South Atlanta's residents are stuck in a backwards, archaic culture and she just seems to want to perpetuate it. Defense of the criminal culture from the Ms. Bottoms is completely indefensible.

Atlanta review board to suspend its
How is that foolish? You might want to understand that black Americans in particular feel like there is a movement within the law enforcement community that is out to get them by shooting first and to asking any questions at all. Until this issue of trigger-happy members of law enforcement is handled don't assume this is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,636,621 times
It is totally foolish.

You run from the cops, you get in trouble. That's what I have been taught and that's why I don't have a criminal record. If I would have run from the cops in prior interactions, you bet your ass I would have a criminal record right now. Huh, funny how that works. But you know what, it probably isn't due to my actions and how I interact with authority, it's probably just because I'm white...

You can cherry pick examples of abuse of power but the fact of the matter is that it is an extremely small percentage of interactions, likely way less than a fraction of 1%. While that is an unacceptable rate, it isn't enough to justify running from the cops.

It's time to advance and this is regressive. This is a completely stupid strategy for dealing with a problem.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 AM

5,233 posts, read 4,283,861 times
Those billboards were a spectacularly dumb decision. Good riddance to them.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM
bu2

9,980 posts, read 6,428,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Well, theoretically she is right. The police should not be shooting someone who is running from them. You cannot shoot someone running from your home who has just robbed you. The police cannot do this either so she is right that the response is the problem. What ever happened to chasing a suspect. Gotta get healthy and be able to do that. However, until police stop gunning ppl down that are running away from them it seems wise to just teach the kids to stand still with hands in air, I guess. Although folk are being gunned down and/or killed in that stance also.
No she's not right. Running is refusing to cooperate.

She didn't say they have a right not to be shot. She said they had a right to run.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Those billboards were a spectacularly dumb decision. Good riddance to them.
Explain to me how this is any different that any of the other ad council type campaigns to promote good citizenship / education?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Explain to me how this is any different that any of the other ad council type campaigns to promote good citizenship / education?
Be careful with a question like that. You're about to open a massive can of worms here.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Be careful with a question like that. You're about to open a massive can of worms here.
I want to see everyone's life improve, which involves a bit of education.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM

This is akin to the dolts who like to walk down the street carrying an "assault" rifle, just because they legally can.

It's foolish and will lead to a negative outcome. No one should promote those actions, especially people in positions of authority.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I want to see everyone's life improve, which involves a bit of education.
Alright, you asked for it, here we go...

I'm not sure if I believe you when you say that. Cause if you really wanted to "improve everyone's lives," you'd address the underlying institutions that systematically oppress blacks. And...wait, what's that? Did you just bristle at that comment of mine? Then you, sir or ma'am, are part of the problem, and you need to STOP BEING DEFENSIVE and LISTEN to people of color, who are being systematically oppressed. You could start by reading residinghere2007's story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This whole running thing acutally reminds me of my dad who was somewhat of a petty criminal when he was on drugs years ago. I remember numerous times of him running from the police. He even advised the kids on the block about running away from police tactics lol. He was never shot in the back and is still alive today and law abiding and nearly 30 years drug and alcohol free. Once an old family friend of his who was a police officer had to chase him. When the friend asked why he ran when he wasn't even going to be in much trouble, dad laughed and said that in those days he always felt if he was going to be arrested the officer should have to "work" for it lol. My dad was and still is a character. He and the officer are still friends. In my hometown though there have been few officer involved shootings and the ones that have occurred happened with suspects who were armed with guns.
And realizing that he or she is literally better off in life because his/her dad was able and willing to run from the cops. There. There's a start. A tiny sample of a sample of the problem. (Residinghere, I apologize and will retract this as an example if you are white.)

If nothing I've said in this post made you bristle with defensiveness, then good. We need more whites like you.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times
Quote:
I really don't have to say any more. But I will...

This person is promoting a culture and idea that is toxic. An idea that gets people hurt, killed, or given a criminal record. What's next Ms. Bottoms? Are you going to come out with an anti-snitching platform?

The mayor needs to come out and scold her for this and re-engage the campaign to stop running from the cops. Too many (not most!) of South Atlanta's residents are stuck in a backwards, archaic culture and she just seems to want to perpetuate it. Defense of the criminal culture from the Ms. Bottoms is completely indefensible.

Atlanta review board to suspend its

Give her a break.Her nephew was shot and killed.He was a student I think
3 indicted in murder of councilwoman's nephew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or